Maclaren Reviews | Glassdoor

Farzad Rastegar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Rewarding First Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Maclaren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Due to it being a relatively small company, I felt as though the work I was doing was making a difference, and I could see that difference take effect in the business.
    - As a young professional, I was afforded the opportunity to take the lead on projects and manage people not just in our own office, but in our international offices. I don't believe I could have had a similar experience elsewhere.
    - Senior management was often very open to suggestions and recommendations for new business processes and services

Cons

- Close to the train station but otherwise not a great location
    - Cross-departmental interaction can be difficult at times, I think building more of a community within the office with events would help promote this

2. "Digital Services Intern"

I worked at Maclaren full-time

Pros

Working as an intern for Maclaren has been enjoyable and rewarding. My first week of training was followed by various excel-heavy assignments and projects. The learning curve was steep yet surmountable as other members of the digital services team were welcoming and helpful. Within the first few weeks, assignments/projects ranged from creating NetSuite reports to researching and implementing various business applications. After three weeks, tasks became more excel-focused, as I made note that that is what I would like to focus on. Within a month, I felt fully-immersed as day-to-day tasks often required teaming up with other coworkers within my branch or communicating with senior management from other offices around the world. The CEO, Farzad, was extremely welcoming as he would frequently stop by my desk to offer his guidance towards outstanding projects and/or make inquiries regarding the quality of my employment thus far.

Cons

For those who are used to, or prefer working at large corporate offices, working at Maclaren may take some getting used to as it is a rather small company.

3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Maclaren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand and product. Opportunity to learn about the industry and work with teams around the globe. The culture is great and was an excellent place to begin my career. I had the opportunity to take ownership of my projects within the first month.

Cons

The location is not ideal. Some legacy teams have been there for too long and are no longer impacting the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I'm blessed to have been a part of the team and excited to see what changes will come in the future

"Like working in North Korea"

Former Employee - Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Maclaren (More than a year)

Pros

close to Norwalk train station

Cons

The "Senior Management" team only wants fawning syncopants - no thinkers, planners or anyone with an idea on how best to do their job need apply. Like Kim Jong-un, the owner spouts gibberish, hurls insults and ill conceived strategies daily, in a Quixotic attempt to make Maclaren a Hermes or Chanel of the baby products world (some sort of odd fixation with the fashion industry?). The constantly shifting alliances and backstabbing cliques has become a hall of mirrors - there are no real leaders and certainly no trust between employees and Management.

Benefit plans are horrible, vacation and sick time are poor to average and there is certainly no working from home as employees are not trusted to do their jobs.

Most qualified people take the job out of desperation and leave as quickly as possible, wiser and sadder. Its a revolving door mentality like Walmart - no care or consideration for employee satisfaction or growth. Long term employees are in the owners clique and have made their own deal with the devil - everyone else hopes they make it to the next payday without getting fired or publicly berated. The office is also a dump.
    Take all glowing reviews with a grain of salt, they are "fake news", written by strongarmed interns. Good luck!

Advice to Management

give up and sell, your running the company into the ground.

"Great Development Opportunities"

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Maclaren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is exciting and there are numerous opportunities to develop and grow. Perfect environment for those that want to learn and own/drive their development. CEO vision is solid / strong and moving the company in the right direction. CEO shares what is needed to not overwhelm but it's obvious he has an understanding of where he wants to go. There is a flat reporting structure so you can truly understand all aspects of the business and work with everyone. The team is small but mighty. Location is convenient by train and the company supports commuting via mass transit. Work environment is family friendly and stands behind its pledge to environment.

Cons

You need to clearly understand your priorities because you will be presented with lots of opportunities so it's easy to get side tracked. Also this is not the right environment for those that want to be directed and pushed along. If you like coming into a job where everything is defined and you are told what to and when to do it, you will fail. You need to be comfortable in grey space, own your work and figure out how to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Continue to share your vision. Continue to offer opportunities for employees to grow and expand knowledge base.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Pros

I did not technically work for Maclaren, but rather its corporate design arm. Because the company is so lean, I had the opportunity to wear many hats and shape my role. Good pay and work/life balance.

Cons

Poor location, some incompetent staff.

Advice to Management

Allow team members to own the role you've hired them for.

"Look for another job"

Former Employee - Product in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Product in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Maclaren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much. Competitive pay just to lure people in. Colleagues are nice. You get to deal with somewhat international brands.

Cons

It's really soul crushing. The owner and his wife along with senior management who are basically family friends, constantly look down at the employees. The owner yells at people with zero respect and the work only gets approved when he is in good mood once in a blue moon. Terrible location as well.

Advice to Management

Do not take this job unless you are desperate for money.

"Intense and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Maclaren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maclaren offers employees a very international and dynamic work environment. On a daily basis I have the chance to work with colleagues around the work and in several departments. The team is small for a large brand and with that comes challenges, but also huge opportunities to lead and to make your voice heard. The majority of the staff is young and energized, eager to promote the brand and think innovatively in a slow and conservative industry. The company is expanding, recently adding a Swiss office and continuing to recruit for roles across functions.

Cons

With a small team and a lot to do, time is short and employees are expected to meet deadlines and self-advocate. The reporting structure is very flat, allowing employees to work closely with the senior team, but this lean structure demands entrepreneurship and enthusiasm to succeed. Great place to make an impact, but if you are looking for a static and tiered reporting structure, this is not the company for you.

"Design"

Current Employee - Product Development in South Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Product Development in South Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Maclaren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic company, great product, easy access to senior management, challenging and rewarding career path, clear vision of business and industry. Fantantic work life balance.

Cons

Location, demanding management but with a vision, few unenthusiastic colleagues can bring you down, too much responsibility and authority is given to sometimes inexperienced managers, not a place for an average performer.

Advice to Management

Sort your team. All the team need to be on the same commitment and get rid of the kitchen and be more formal.

"Good company, great product, bad location"

Former Employee - Analyst in Norwalk, CT

Pros

Amazing co-workers, great product with a good design, very well-respected brand, good work-life balance, competitive salary. The benefits improved a lot while I was there and the company was starting to settle after some rough years. It is a somewhat flat organization which appeals to a young generation.

Also, don't listen just to the bad reviews. It is true this is not a company for everyone, but if you are willing to make the extra effort you will be recognized.

Cons

Location, location, location. For people commuting from NYC it would get extremely complicated on some occasions, especially with inclement weather. The owner should seriously consider moving the company to a better place like Stamford or even South Norwalk (more trains stopping there). Also, as others have already said, some projects start but don't finish and sometimes it seems we are in an everlasting loop.

Advice to Management

Don't try to reinvent the wheel at every month. Stick with some projects/products, give it some time to test it (6 months, minimum), and then make an educated opinion on what should be done last. The owner should streamline and be clear about what is the focus of the company.