Macmillan Cancer Support Reviews | Glassdoor

Macmillan Cancer Support CEO Lynda Thomas
Lynda Thomas

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its for a good cause
    Work/Life Balance
    Friendly staff
    Easy to commute to

Cons

Getting things done can take longer than it should due to it being a large organisation and everyone wanting their say.

Advice to Management

TRy no to change the culture too much when enacting changes

"Amazing Charity Bad Corporation"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The services provided to people living with cancer are amazing. The guys working at the coal face are the ones I have in my mind when trying to do my job.

Cons

The leadership is broken. Imported from a corporate background, they have sucked the heart out of the back offices. Clueless, deaf to ideas from within, they blunder on in the foolish belief that anyone who has years of experience in the charity must be dinosaurs and disposed of. My colleagues and I are burned out and morale is at the lowest I have witnessed.

Advice to Management

Gather the experience from within, listen to what they have to say. Stop throwing charity money at daily rate contractors who cost more per day than regular staff cost per week. If they made a difference, great, but sadly this has not been the case. Remember who pays for this and what they have in their mind when they put their last few pennies in the tin!!

3. "Difficult times with a lot of negativity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is incredibly rewarding to work for a charity that supports people during one of the most difficult times of their lives and there are great opportunities to move roles within the charity.

Cons

Supporting people affected by cancer is the most important thing and perhaps organisational change and restructuring is required to do that but it is being handled dreadfully. Update emails about changes to structure and teams are being sent by email on Friday afternoons which comes across as cowardly as they are unable/unwilling to deal with the impact of the communications at the time of most distress. There is a lot of negativity in the office, people's mental health is being affected by the change and many are considering handing in their notice without having another job to go to which highlights the severe impact. Staff are incredibly passionate about the cause but unfortunately many incredibly talented and experienced people are leaving which is a terrible shame for both the charity and people affected by cancer.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the work at lower levels. We are driven by our areas of work, not just managing projects. If a love of project management was our driving factor, we could be earning a lot more in the private sector

5. "Deteriorating structure, Uninspiring management"

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time

Pros

Really noble cause, pretty much Monday 9-5

Cons

Senior management should hang their heads in shame for what they have done to this once awesome charity.
    If you're not at the higher echelons then don't expect to be paid well.
    Massive staff turnover turning into a death spiral of any talent.
    No career advancement prospects, they hire people in to do jobs and make others redundant rather than invest in training.
    Shameful way of recruiting for replacement roles before staff have been told that they are being made redundant
    CEO is really uninspiring compared to the old one who got involved in events, fundraising and popped down to talk to the troops.

Certain heads of technology, clearly know nothing about their functions, I'm looking at architecture and digital development type head roles. Can interfere a lot when they don't really understand and can be quite bullying when concerns and technical objections raised. There's a real lack of leadership and inspiration they either sit in meetings all day, go to networking events, or work from home. Or fight over new functions when they clearly can't do what they have on their plate already.

Money wasted on contractors, who can't do what they were hired to do.

Don't even get me started on the micromanagement...

Advice to Management

Don't preach about cutting costs, when you claim outrageous salaries.
    Stop treating staff as disposable
    Hold managers accountable for their failings if they don't deliver
    Be more visible to staff, their really unhappy and could do with some leadership
    HR: Uphold staff complaints about unacceptable behaviour from management
    Realise that your restructure has caused more damage than good and work flows have dried up
    try to retain staff if you can't move on the salary try and work on career development.

6. "Fine!"

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly, positive atmosphere, everyone is incredibly cause driven and there is a tonne of support provided for professional development. I had a great time in my role and only left because a great opportunity arose.

Cons

Working is very siloed across the organisation, there is a very hierarchical management structure and a resistance from management to change and adapt to new processes.

Advice to Management

Hierarchy can be positive in an organisation but when there is a resistance to listen to implement or even listen to change from those doing the day to day work, then it is definitely a negative.

"Good cause, badly managed"

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time

Pros

Working to support people affected by cancer rather than make money for someone.

Relaxed environment has positives.

Have been some good people working there.

Cons

It's a large organisation with a rigid hierarchical structure and a lot of politics and practices that limit your ability to deliver your best.

Very siloed, clicky sub-environments within the organisation in places. So while it may be ok in one area there are severe problems in others. It's not consistent but some appear to treat it like it is.

High staff turnover and too much reliance on contractors, so there's little continuity and an ongoing "period of change" that's seen many problems getting worse rather than better for some time.

Related to the staff turnover is a problem I see with the skills and experience balance in some areas. It's a bad environment for someone to join for a less experienced position because you won't be developed or shown good ways of doing things. It's an appealing environment to people at the opposite end of their career who are less interested in learning new skills and like the relaxed environment they can have. The space between those is where the majority of the staff turnover has and will continue to happen.

Too many people stay long-term because it's comfortable for them and they see it as difficult to find a similar experience elsewhere. That's not what Macmillan needs, and probably not what individuals need either.

There have been numerous occasions where individuals have acted to try and protect their position in the hierarchy from what they see as threats to it rather than do what's best for Macmillan. That may involve something as simple as withholding information from someone else, or it can be much more than that.

Part of the management approach appears to be to try and make people comply, rather than identifying and acknowledging the root of real underlying issues. Politics really hinder that.

Advice to Management

Personally, I think Macmillan should focus more on what they're good at and less on what they're not good at. They're there to support people affected by cancer but there is a lot of time spent inefficiently on work not directly linked to that and that work could be done much better by a company oriented at doing it.

It's felt for too long that there's a lack of direction and handling of real problems. The churn of management contractors isn't helping that. Macmillan needs people who are invested in the organisation's future and looking further down the line.

It needs people who understand the history of the culture and politics at Macmillan so they can better understand why things are the way they are before they try to handle them. It is a different environment there, and different in many good ways. Those differences need to be recognised and not treated with a textbook approach according to standards and processes from elsewhere.

8. "Interviews"

Current Employee - Recruitment in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What great way to invite people to interview, give them a choice of slot

Cons

We need more entry points of inexperienced people

Advice to Management

Keep innovating that's what makes us special

9. "Disappointing restructuring"

Pros

Great cause and direct and indirect services make a real difference to people's lives.

Cons

Bullying culture and lack of support/ personal development opportunities.

During a restructuring period I was very tolerant and open to change but senior management did nothing to support what eventually was going to be a 'demotion' of responsibilities.

One particular senior manager lacked leadership skills to support the team and took a very aggressive approach when switching priorities with no notice or guidance to facilitate drastic sometimes chaotic decision making.

The behaviour of this manager was completely unpredictable and had a disastrous effect on my mental health as I was targeted and often set up to fail, as I refused to go along with uninformed tasks and challenged how this was adding value to people affected by cancer. This made it impossible for me to make operational decisions and my confidence was destroyed.

Advice to Management

No-one is against change, you need to support your staff through this period and ensure shifts of priorities are well thought out and prepared for. If you don't have the skills or capacity to develop your staff, it's your responsibility to give them space and time to facilitate this.

10. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great company culture
    Excellent opportunities to get involved with the cause
    Colleagues that really value your development

Cons

Quite hard to progress to higher level

"Bad experience"

Former Employee - Adviser in Vauxhall, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Adviser in Vauxhall, England (UK)

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working to support people affected by cancer rather than for shareholders. Some talented people who work really hard to make a difference.

Cons

A lot of bullying in the workplace (could give 5 concrete examples of different people's experiences), high turnover of staff, lack of direction, management very much out to make themselves look good rather than take care of their team or individual needs. If your face doesn't fit they will manage you out. Not a huge amount of commercial acumen which would go a long way to make better use of supporter donations. Unwillingness to follow policy/corporate strategy due to fear of change.

Advice to Management

Middle management need to work to keep their teams happy more than worrying about how they look to their seniors. Take note of high turnover of staff and wonder why so many people hand in notice before they have secured a new job as this speaks volumes.