Macmillan Publishers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
John Sargent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Macmillan puts their employees first, great medical benefits and work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• friendly work environment, stimulating job (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear guidelines for growth, low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Bad managers who do not really know how to motivate (in 2 reviews)

1. "Pronoun is a friendly, passionate place to work"

I have been working at Macmillan Publishers full-time

Pros

This review is specifically for Pronoun, Macmillan's self-publishing platform.

Despite being acquired by Macmillan, Pronoun still feels like a start up in many ways. Great office culture. People care about their work and are passionate about the platform we're building. Anyone can speak up with ideas or suggestions and be heard. I eat lunch with my coworkers a few days a week, and we all go out for dinner or drinks once every month or so. Work/life balance is healthy. Our platform is awesome.

Cons

We're isolated from our parent company, Macmillan, which has both upsides and downsides. There aren't many chances to meet and network with other Macmillan employees. It can be frustrating working with corporate restraints (e.g., required outdated software and regulated hours). Pronoun is still small and there isn't much room for upward mobility. My salary isn't as high as I think it could be elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see everyone's jobs made more visible, so that everyone on the team better understands and appreciates what everyone else does. More transparency about our status and relationship with Macmillan would be great, but maybe that information can't be shared.

2. "Editorial at St. Martin's Press"

I have been working at Macmillan Publishers full-time

Pros

The coworkers are really excellent.

Cons

Moral has been low lately.

Advice to Management

Pay more.

3. "Intern For Publicity Dept"

I have been working at Macmillan Publishers full-time

Pros

Environment is warm and welcoming, lots to learn and everyone is willing to answer your questions.

Cons

Communications is not always best, office space (Flatiron building) is not conducive to a productive environment.

4. "Decent company"

Pros

Flexible, good benefits, nice people

Cons

No clear guidelines for growth, low pay

5. "Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Macmillan Publishers full-time

Pros

Working at a Big 5 publisher, working on titles many people will interact with.

Cons

Long hiring process. Many contractors make for a confusing and changing environment where it seems like everyone is being trained. No real sense of community due to office layout.

Advice to Management

Nurture employees, or at least initiate check-ins.

6. "Potential for a good experience, but avoiding change"

Former Employee - Permissions Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Permissions Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Macmillan Publishers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, plenty to do, good people

Cons

New ideas are not encouraged, projects are rushed, handoffs are not clean

Advice to Management

Empower your workers to create new workflows, the product will benefit and they will feel better about their work.

7. "Not a job I ever looked forward to."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Macmillan Publishers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were good but I've had great benefits at other companies - including the new one I'm at. They do not make up for the cons.

A number of great green initiatives thanks to John Sargent.

Cons

Low pay, No real vision or identity, technology fails constantly and is always behind competitors. It's a constant game of catch up with products. The systems lack basic needs for reps to plan and be efficient. Management team for inside sales are void of management 101 skills. They never focus on revenue that is being brought in - instead they only know how to manage through big brother dashboards that tell them what menial tasks their reps are doing every second of the day. It forces all of the reps to manipulate data rather than work on what is the most important thing to the company - making sales and increasing revenue. Days were filled with redundant and unnecessary conference calls and they put people on performance improvement plans who should not be on them....such as goal making reps, while reps who hadn't made their number in 3 years were not on plans. Once again, they don't care about revenue. Reps carry the load of about 4 people and in inside sales, they run "contests" so that they can give people more work to do - work that was the responsibility of the managers who decided they don't have time to do it because they are so busy sitting in their offices monitoring salesforce dashboards. It's a joke. Bottom line: the managers lack basic people skills and experience and the only way they feel confident is by micromanaging their best people...and the suits at the top don't even notice. If they were to sit in on 1 conference call, they would realize how lacking the magement team is in Hamilton.

Advice to Management

This used to be a great place to work. Pay the market rate for salaries and people would be happier. Work to gain some essential skills needed in managers - fairness, empathy, support, and loosen up on the micromanaging.
    People don't leave jobs - they leave managers.

"nice place to work; scrambling due to industry downturn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Macmillan Publishers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people, no drama, upbeat executive team. Good for long-term. Great office (One NY Plaza) and location. Environmental conciousness at least from the top. Friendly atmosphere with plenty of work (no goofing off) but not so pressured that you can't do your work in a reasonable workflow.

Cons

Industry pressure has caused a lot of staff reduction in last months. Disorganized. No room for career growth in Info Tech areas. Always been lower pay than other industries.

Advice to Management

Develop your staff. Hang on to executives - they are top-notch.

"Friendly company with publishing pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Macmillan Publishers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture values work/life balance; summer Friday half-days and a week off between Christmas and New Year's; work environments seem to vary by imprint/department but mine has been warm and welcoming; my manager makes it clear that I am valued

Cons

Low publishing salaries; technology is behind the times and updates are difficult to implement; some practices and habits feel old-fashioned and not as effective as they might have been 20 years ago

Advice to Management

Keep investing in tech and diversity/inclusion

10. "Great corporate culture but IT department has too much politics and little growth for associates."

Former Employee - ETL Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ETL Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Macmillan Publishers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free books. Chance to learn new technologies. Great corporate culture with charismatic CEO. Leniency on working from home when needed.

Cons

Departmental change to meet demands of fast business growth has led to immaturity amongst management. Seeking other opportunities within company is met with strong opposition from management. Associates are not encouraged to grow.

Advice to Management

Spread technical job roles out amongst multiple people instead of concentrated on one manager. Recognize accomplishments that have helped the department get to where it is.