Macprofessionals Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Macprofessionals President Lisa Glush
Lisa Glush

1. "Macprofessionals is the place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Macprofessionals part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Macprofessionals is a wonderful place to work. The company is like one big family and makes working enjoyable. The company structure is built to allow for you to improve and grow over time. No matter your position in the company, you are doing interesting and unique things. Working at Macprofessionals has grown me as a person and improved my knowledge for the technological and business field dramatically.

Cons

I have no cons.

2. "Dishonest owner killed good company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Novi, MI

I worked at Macprofessionals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

Unfair pay and hours do not make a career

Advice to Management

Don't let the greed of owners overrule what is fair and right

3. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Technician in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Technician in Novi, MI

I worked at Macprofessionals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always doing something different..Macprofessionals is constantly reinventing themselves and change their offerings with the changes in technology. They are not black and white on your schedule. They understand that employees have lives outside of the company and they work with you when you need to leave early or make up hours. CEO is not someone who manages only, she jumps in and rolls up her sleeves and helps out all the time. She knows everyone's name and has even helped people financially when they need it. It's a shame that people who do not have good work ethics and were let go because of that have nothing better to do than post negative comments on this site.

Cons

Because of the nature of the IT business and the fact that they do a lot of education work, certain times of the year they are crazy busy when other times they are super slow. I know they are continually looking for other business that is not seasonal which will help.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. It was a great place to work!

5. "Peer Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinckney, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinckney, MI

I worked at Macprofessionals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work.
    They offer full and summer temp positions.
    Friendly people, for the most part.
    The CEO, Lisa will indeed take care of you if you're in a time of need or have your back upon a complaint. Where many companies will throw you under the bus.
    They do great things for schools in Michigan and beyond.
    Employees are always willing to have you job shadow, as long as you are done with your required job.

Cons

The only con I could come up with, is that there are or were when I was there, too many chiefs. I understand you need department heads for every division. But, they all collide with some of the other employees. Some more employees would have been nice. None of the department heads communicated with Lisa or admin to use an employee in another department.

Advice to Management

Communication is key when utilizing another departments employees. And pay the ones doing the field work. Too many times, everyone heard that full time employees worked longer hours than the in-house.

"Troubling Financial Issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I have been working at Macprofessionals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Group of Co-Workers
    In most areas they leave you alone and let you do your Job.

Cons

Severe Financial Problems!
    Payroll is Often Delayed!
    Sink or Swim environment - No Training!

Advice to Management

It's too late.

"Some Bosses..."

Former Employee - Sales in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Novi, MI

I worked at Macprofessionals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After reading some of the reviews from (assumed) short-term, temporary, disgruntled employees, I decided to share my opinion here. How ridiculous to rate a company by the gossip one hears in a warehouse about name calling or the kind of car the owner drives.

I remember all of my bosses. Some were bad. Most were good.
    But the owner of Macprofessionals was, in the best possible way, truly memorable.

Memorable bosses possess qualities that may not typically show up on these kinds of review websites, but always show up where it matters most - in the minds and even hearts of the people they lead.

Here are some qualities of the CEO (and my boss) at Macprofessionals:

1. She believes the unbelievable.
    Memorable bosses expect more - from themselves and from others. Then they show you how to get there. And they bring you along for what turns out to be an unbelievable ride.

2. She sees opportunity in instability and uncertainty.
    Unexpected problems, unforeseen roadblocks, major crises... most bosses take down the sails, batten the hatches, and hope to wait out the storm (and this one certainly could have many times).
    She sees a crisis as an opportunity. She knows it’s extremely difficult to make major changes, even necessary ones, when things are going relatively smoothly.
    She knows reorganizing a sales team is accepted more easily when a major customer goes under. She knows creating new sales channels is a lot easier when a major competitor enters the market.
    My boss saw instability and uncertainty not as a barrier but as an enabler. She reorganized, reshaped, and re-engineered to reassure, motivate, and inspire again and again - and in the process made the organization bigger and stronger.

3. She protects others from the bus.
    Terrible bosses throw their employees under the bus.
    Good bosses never throw their employees under the bus.
    The CEO at Macprofessionals sees the bus coming and pulls her employees out of the way often without the employee even knowing until much, much later... if ever.

4. She’s been there, done that... and still does that.
    Dues aren't paid, past tense. Dues get paid each and every day. Every week. Every month. The true measure of value is the tangible contribution we make on a daily basis.
    That’s why no matter what she may have accomplished in the past, she is never too good to roll up her sleeves, get dirty, and do the “grunt” work. No job is ever too menial, no task ever too unskilled or boring.
    She NEVER acts entitled, which means no one feels entitled to anything but the fruits of their labor.  And she ALWAYS made sure we all had a paycheck.

5. She takes real, not fake risks.
    Many bosses, like many people, try to stand out in some superficial way. Maybe through their “things”, their interests, or a public display of support for a popular initiative. They do stand out but they stand out for reasons of sizzle, not steak.
    My boss at Macprofessionals stood out because she was willing to take an unpopular stand, take an unpopular step, accept the discomfort of ignoring the status quo, and risk sailing uncharted waters. All for the betterment of the company, and in essence, the employees. She takes real risks not for the sake of risk but for the sake of the reward she believes possible to us all. And by her example she inspires others to take risks in order to achieve what they believe is possible.

In short, The CEO of Macprofessionals IS a memorable boss who inspires others to achieve their dreams: by words, by actions, and most importantly, by example. She makes hard decisions about the business. But ALWAYS for the best of the company and it’s employees.

Sure, you can read a review saying “I heard she said…”, or “It isn’t fair she has more than me”.

Or you can read this one and really learn about about the CEO of Macprofessionals.

Cons

Sure, there were time I was unhappy with a new commission structure or a bonus I didn't make, but I always knew the changes were made for the benefit of the entire company. And were fair.

Advice to Management

Continue to do whats best for the company, even at the risk of a hurtful, meaningless review on a site like this.

"A Very Fair Review for a Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Novi, MI

Pros

A few of the other employees were very nice.

Cons

The owner and CEO is one of the most foul human beings I've ever met. She communicates with a complete lack of respect to people as human beings. She is rude, abrasive, condescending and talks to her employees like animals. She is more concerned with driving her $400K Bugatti and looking like a rock star than investing in her employees and in her company. She has ZERO listening skills and will yell at employees when she is completely in the wrong and has no idea what she talking about. Her business decisions are off the cuff with no thought or planning. None of their vendor bills were paid on time, if ever which lead to COD on everything that company does and purchases. She hires personal friends with little or zero business or IT experience that bully the other employees because they are close personal friends of hers. She hires short term contract people off of the street to help them complete large jobs they don't have the manpower to support. Then lies to those contract employees about how long the employment will last. (some just a week) and doesn't care that some of these contract folks she hires may have left other perm. positions thinking that this would be a full time perm. position. I have NEVER worked for a company in my life where I could not at least say a few good things about it. This all boils down to the owner and CEO. She has NO business acumen, no business experience outside of owning her own business and if it wasn't for her getting in on the ground floor as a Apple supplier way back in the day.....this company wouldn't even exist. I actually heard her joke and say "Let them eat cake" and laugh.

Advice to Management

Give Macprofessionals to your employees or sell it. You have no business owning a company that people depend on to feed their families.

"Great place to work if you don't care about your sanity"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Novi, MI

I worked at Macprofessionals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company as a whole is pretty laid back, which is nice. Proper training isn't a thing there, so I could always ask questions and be helped most of the time.

Cons

A small company means putting up with a lot of things they shouldn't. Because everyone is salaried, a lot of people adopted a lazy work ethic. Also, there were some things such as the use of racial slurs and name calling that should have been grounds for immediate dismissal but was swept under the rug instead by having HR tell me that if I couldn't get along with a particular person, I would be laid off.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is going on.

"Iron Fist"

Former Employee - Trainer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Trainer in Novi, MI

Pros

It's located in Michigan and there aren't too many jobs in Michigan. Overall, the employees are good, hardworking, and enjoyable to work with. There are some people who really care about the company who are trying to save it from the CEO's misguided philosophy.

Cons

The philosophy of the CEO is that the best way to manage is to intimidate people. This philosophy is forced onto managers and creates a very unpleasant environment. I feel this is not the most productive way to get the most out of employees.

Employees are drawn in with the fancy offices, interesting projects, and empty promises. The intimidation begins with being required to sign a non-compete agreement. I understand the principle behind a non-compete, but Macprofessionals uses it to keep wages low. I saw many of my co-workers give Macprofessionals plenty of opportunities to treat them fairly. After Macprofessionals refused, they moved on only to be threatened with a lawsuit. It doesn't matter that they were not competing with Macprofessionals because the non-compete is written in a way that prevents them from doing almost any job for 2 years, a career death sentence in technology. Even an employee who is fired because projects ended can not seek employment for 2 years.

Now, clearly this non-compete is unenforceable unless they've changed it since I left. As soon as one employee challenged the non-compete, many others followed. The mass exodus has led to some improved work conditions for some high value employees, but that does not change the poor benefits, greedy management, empty promises, nor exploitative executives.

Be careful what you sign and make sure you get their promises in writing. If your contract calls your commission a bonus, that's code for, "We only give it to you if we feel like it and the amount changes at will." Before accepting a position here, consider whether or not you want your reputation tied to Macprofessionals. The Apple world is small and you don't want someone to refuse to work with you because that means working with Macpros.

Advice to Management

The best way to get the most out of employees is to recognize their strengths, encourage those strengths, provide constructive feedback, and make them feel appreciated. Yelling, intimidating, and promises that never come to fruition only works short-term. Value the customers as well. I've heard or heard of many people say, "Love you, hate Macprofessionals."

"Great people who work hard; a good place for people who like change and challenge"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Novi, MI

Pros

- Closely associated with cutting edge tech, especially the strategic direction of Apple.
     - Engineers get to do things they would not be able to do at almost any other company.
     - A large tech team comprised of smart, interesting people.
     - The new space is beautiful. Much better than working in a corporate cube farm.
     - Its actually a very easy going place to work compared to other organizations.
     - If you're a tech person who likes travel, Macprofessionals will be a good fit.
     - Many people genuinely care about the company and making a difference.

Cons

- Some folks like to complain and gossip—all the common complaints of a workplace—but don't understand how to, or take responsibility for working for positive change inside an organization.
     - It seems like a "best keep secret" for what it does. Need to get the word out wider.

Advice to Management

- there needs to be a stronger culture of accountability.
     - under performing people are kept too long.