Macquarie Group Reviews

3.2
Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Shemara Wikramanayake
Shemara Wikramanayake
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours and poor management support(in 137 reviews)

• "Not enough work/life balance or flexible working policies or not adhered to consistently within business units(in 105 reviews)

1. "great culture"

5.0

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

open floor layout, seamless communication through hierarchical chain, good benefits

Cons

long hours, some groups much stronger than others

Macquarie Group2019-05-05
  2. "Culture that makes work enjoyable"

5.0
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, culture, engaging workplace layout, flat organization that encourages open conversations, promotional opportunities

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

Macquarie Group2020-05-19
  3. "entrepreneurial, good work/life balance, internal competition among business heads drives politics"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good work/life balance, job security

Cons

aussie dollar risk to your stock based comp

Macquarie Group2020-05-12
  4. "Negative Manager - Continued from May 8, 2020"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

HR did reach out to me to discuss my negative experiences with my former manager. The HR representative listened to what happened. The exchange was professional and pleasant and not judgmental.

Cons

There were delays in being able to meet and discuss my reasons for leaving. As a corporation, it would have been better to have been proactive when a new employee leaves so quickly.

Macquarie Group2020-05-21
  5. "Average"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

It is a very supportive community

Cons

It has some barriers in between departments

Macquarie Group2020-05-05
  6. "OK"

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better than other banks in terms of culture, but still has a lot of room for improvement

Cons

They really do work you really hard

Macquarie Group2020-05-11

"Ruthless management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Core team is component and efficient.

Cons

My bonus was cut 25% the year I went on maternity leave. I only took my entitlement (16 weeks) and saved vacation - nothing unpaid - and was still docked.

Macquarie Group2020-05-04

May 15, 2020Macquarie Group

We have read your comments about your experience at Macquarie.  We aim to ensure that the employee experience is positive for everyone and are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and therefore, we welcome an opportunity to further discuss your feedback. We encourage you to reach out to your HR team member, or alternatively you can raise concerns anonymously through the Integrity Office.

8. "Overall Not a Bad Place to Work"

Former Employee - Internal Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Pay Great vacation Policy and PTO A lot of Autonomy

Cons

No remote work opportunity in that role despite capability Very little career tracking or development opportunities Bit of a culture clash between Macquarie and the former Delaware Funds(took over 2010) Investment bank culture winning out. Focused on cost cutting/profitability. Top people getting paid big, while comp down the line was getting squeezed

Macquarie Group2020-04-17

"Great place to work, if you're mean spirited and Australian.."

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of engaging, bright, hard working and well meaning employees, willing to work long hours to map to the Australian working day.

Cons

Very clique-ish. The US subsidiaries are tightly controlled by Australian HQ, by senior execs who have little or no overseas experience. Cursory judgments are made about US staff members by HQ on the skills, potential and performance of the US, and hey presto, your bonus, or your reputation can go up in smoke. Even senior US execs will cower away from standing up for their staff if "Sydney" decides to oust someone. They raise passive aggression to an art form. They think diversity is only about gender, great place if you are a white male or female, anything outside of that proceed with caution - diligence the team you are joining. The place has some great people, so find out all you can about management before you make a decision.

Macquarie Group2020-04-02

April 19, 2020Macquarie Group

We’re sorry to read your comments about your experience at Macquarie. We aim to ensure that the employee experience is positive for everyone and are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. We would welcome an opportunity to further discuss your feedback. We encourage you to reach out to your HR team member, or alternatively you can raise concerns anonymously through the Integrity Office.

"Poor, toxic work culture"

2.0

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food & snacks, fitness reimbursement

Cons

MDs turn a blind eye to continued unprofessional conduct by middle management/staffers. Junior members of teams are constantly chastised for reasons completely unrelated to work product. Despite demonstrated ability to work hard, analysts are looked down upon. Absolutely zero consideration for respecting PTO, funerals, and even serious personal illness; IB industry is notorious for this, but it is especially pronounced here. Certain group-level enforcement (along with corporate endorsement) of "business-as-usual" with zero flexibility for remote work despite Coronavirus concerns, for example, are clear examples of how little the firm cares about the well-being of its employees.

Macquarie Group2020-03-10

April 19, 2020Macquarie Group

We’re sorry to read about some of your experiences at Macquarie. We aim to ensure that the employee experience is positive for everyone, and the health and wellbeing of our people is at the forefront of our business decisions. We would welcome an opportunity to further discuss your feedback and encourage you to reach out to your HR team member, or alternatively you can raise concerns anonymously through the Integrity Office.

Found 846 reviews