Macquarie Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Macquarie Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 19, 2019

3.3
Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Shemara Wikramanayake
Shemara Wikramanayake
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours of work expectations(in 116 reviews)

• "Not enough work/life balance or flexible working policies or not adhered to consistently within business units(in 102 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, good work/life balance

Cons

Large organization, can get lost in the mix

Macquarie Group2019-10-21
  2. "Caution...Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

None what so ever. The company is good, but the team and manager I worked for was horrible. Working here was a nightmare. When I started I never had a starter package of what’s expected of me. After 2 years down the line, everyone that got hired on our team complained about the same thing. There was no direction. The manager for my team was not fit for this job. First of all when I started, I got paid the lowest. After hiring 11 techs after me, they all had little experience, and made more than me. want to believe my manager at the time didn’t like me. Literally everything I did was an issue. He made it an issue on whom I had lunch with. He loved to micromanage. For a while he used to secretly record a teammate of mines and myself just to validate we was doing work. I can go on and on. There was no growth on the team as well. I rarely called out, but when I did, it was for the sake of my daughter. And that was always an issue for my manager, because he was more concerned about who would cover the tech desk. When anyone else called out, it wasn’t an issue. Again favoritism. Whenever we had daily catchups, he never had positive feedback. He would have daily catch ups every week to tell us everything we’re doing wrong, despite all the positive feedback we would get from actual users. He had an issue with everything someone did on the team. And this is why there’s a high turnover. In less than 6 months 3 people left and 2 other teammates are currently looking for a job.

Cons

No work life balance when you work for the tech desk in New York. Micromanagement, and favoritism dictates your success.

Advice to Management

HR should try and listen to their employees, instead of taking management side. But what do I know.

Macquarie Group2019-11-11
  3. "Great place to work for"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group for less than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance Exposure to deals for junior staff

Cons

Everything at the company was good

Macquarie Group2019-08-29
  4. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good work environment with opportunities for growth, - Promotes diversity and inclusion, - Good work-life balance, - Allows working from home

Cons

- Hires people with stubborn attitude, - Management should hear feedback from all employees

Macquarie Group2019-06-14
  5. "Great place to build career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Innovative / entrepreneurial culture - Lot's of opportunities to work on challenging problems and help clients have success - Strong management team - Really enjoyed the people I worked with

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult; however, I found it to be much better vs. peers at other financial services firms

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to help employees manage work/life balance

Macquarie Group2019-04-10

"Great Comp, but Avoid if You are Concerned with Laws or Regulatory Compliance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

Stunning office space, friendly people, great social events, typically get raises every year (even with average performance), firm continues to earn record-breaking profits every year, very positive future potential for a rapid-expanding business.

Cons

Horrific work-life-balance for US, as you'll need to work Sydney hours 3+ days a week, complete disregard for US regulatory environment (they are disregarding SEC, FINRA, and GLBA rules every day without concern), pre-Lehman risk management mindset ("We don't have to worry about XX, because XX has never happened to Macquarie"), out-dated end-user technology (no BYOD, you are required to carry a Macquarie laptop and Macquarie iPhone), too many lifers (they have only worked at Macquarie, so they don't know what established banks have done to solve problems), pretentious working environment ("Macquarie is special"), entirely disinterested in learning from mistakes of others ("it can never happen here, we're special"), complete inconsistency across different locations (no global standards), most decisions come handed down from Sydney (again, by people who haven't worked at other banks or haven't worked anywhere but other Australian retail banks), expects employees (of all levels) to fly economy class from New York to Sydney.

Advice to Management

When you hire experienced people who work at other firms, listen to them. Many of the problems you are dealing with are not new and have been solved elsewhere. Also, telling employees to fly economy class from New York to Sydney is exceptionally offensive, especially when you have an annual party budget for internal employee events of well above of $2MM.

Macquarie Group2018-04-03

"Human Resources Coordinator"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with their work schedules. Work/life balance is a priority. Value your opinion!

Cons

Human Resources doesn't have much privacy, if any at all.

Advice to Management

Consider providing HR personnel with their own private space to value the confidentiality of other employees.

Macquarie Group2017-05-01
  8. "Overall net positive"

Current Contractor - Devops Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macquarie Group for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, competent co-workers, challenging work

Cons

Poorly defined roles and responsibilities, little work life balance, dated IT infrastructure

Advice to Management

Some internally developed IT systems can use an usability upgrade, workflows can use some streamlining

Macquarie Group2017-04-23

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only positive is that the company is well known so it looks "Great" on your resume

Cons

Everything about this place is horrible. From management to culture. Felt like I worked at a call center. No work life balance. Slavery

Advice to Management

Take management courses. For those interviewing managers ensure the manager actually know his or her work. My manager knew nothing about the business and had everyone answer emails for her.

Macquarie Group2017-05-01

"Slightly better work/life balance, pay below street"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better work life balance than most investment banks and opportunity to work closely with the buy-side funds groups.

Cons

Pay has historically been below the Street, and work life balance still is not good relative to other career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus on rewarding and retaining talent more.

Macquarie Group2016-12-22