Macquarie Telecom Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Tudehope

Pros
  • Everyone knows everyone, can be quite chilled at times and good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Nice building, nice office and nice view (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very much a CEO centric old boys club place to work which is ironic for a company that is so young (in 3 reviews)

• A heavily antiquated management style driven by the CEO who seems to get off on conflict and see it as strong management (in 3 reviews)

"same old same old"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and commission / bonus makes it compelling to stay when you compare it to the rest of the telco industry, but not necessarily the ICT market.
    Nice offices.

Cons

Management - being led by two brothers who don't really listen to criticism and believe that they are ones "of the people." There seems to be a culture of amassing information - competitive intelligence, and then do nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Employ the right people and then value their opinion and experience.

"Strong focus on Customer Services"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with support from management and wonderful staff.
    Starting out with the customer service role and moving to the wider business, you can see how important customer service is within the MT roots.
    Everyone knows everyone, can be quite chilled at times and good work/life balance.
    Pretty big drinking culture and inclusive time with all departments.
    Exciting time to work at MT now, with the amount of projects happening in the market.

Cons

Culture can be difficult if you do not fit in with key people.
    To succeed at MT, you need to multi task extremely well and ensure you know the right people to get things done.
    You will most likely be doing your Job+ another Job as certain parts of the business needs more staff.

Advice to Management

Ensure you continue to hire the right people.
    More head count will ensure staff are not overworked in certain areas of the business.

"The change is exciting in Telecom"

Current Employee - Management in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Management in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to have fire in your belly and look forward to going to work. I work with a large group of people who are committed to customer service and making change for the future of our Telecom business. New recruits bring a new way of thinking to our strategy which continues to focus on building the business to new heights. If you are passionate about making a difference, working hard, collaborating and giving it your all, Macquarie Telecom is the best place to work. Career opportunities are always available with many of our team changing roles every few years to develop their skills and career paths. I've worked across multiple business units which has given me the opportunity to learn more about the business and had support from our Telecom Group Executive to further grow not only my professional capabilities but personally too. You don't get that everywhere. We love coming to work because we love the people we work with. All sharing similar characteristics in terms of believing in our company values and contributing to the success of telecom. I love coming to work and love what each day brings.

Cons

I have read the reviews on Glassdoor and don't relate. I think I read from someone that Macquarie Telecom is what you make of it. It's so true! If something doesn't work, suggest ways it can. If you're not happy about something, be transparent and speak up. If you're not happy - perhaps find a place where you will be. We don't have time for negativity anymore. We have some great new people in the business who are focusing on driving great success for all of us. Change is a great time. Embrace the change and be part of it I say. I am!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work that is coming out. The future is exciting for our business and I'm glad I'm part of it. Thank you for believing in me and giving me the opportunities you have.

Mar 6, 2017

We completely agree/ We don't have time for negativity and resistance to change. We have so much to achieve and great people wanting to do it with us! Please keep the ideas and feedback coming. We ... More

"Not a great place to work"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very few.

- Hands on CEO and leadership team - which also is a con
    - Focused
    - slightly above average salary

Cons

- Myopic leadership
    - No real marketshare
    - No scope for growth
    - No own products really, just reselling other vendors.
    - mini Telstra/Optus and pretty bad at it too
    - and a lot more

Living in hope that things will change. The company has now gone into 3 lines of business most likely to break and sell, fingers cross that would be the most exciting thing ever in this organisation

Advice to Management

when I see 5 star rating, I laugh, you know it and I know it that these ain't real and done by HR team most likely. Please stop because it makes us look stupid as an organisation.

Tudehope brothers should take a backseat and get in some real execs to drive the business.

Mar 13, 2017

I find it disappointing that a member of our team is so disenchanted with the organisation. We spend so much of our life at work it is important that we enjoy the people, place and role we are ... More

"Transforming"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a company that's over 25 years old it is a mix of old and new. I like the energy and work. The senior managers and people are smart. We work and play hard. Everyone gets involved and there is plenty of help when you ask for it. Customer focused. Lots of events for staff. It's good if you want a job that is more than 9 to 5.

Cons

Induction was almost non existent. Hands on learning only. Lots of negative people who have been here a long time and need to move on. I think many of the negative reviews on here are from people who have either left or want to leave because they don't like change or can't cut it anymore. Personality politics and whinging.

Advice to Management

Drill out the negative people. They are holding you back. Keep believing that the company's best years are infront of it not behind it.

Feb 27, 2017

Like you we see that Macquarie Telecom Group has a great journey ahead of it. We've achieved so much in the last 25 years and we continue to focus on providing our customers with the best service ... More

"Cloud Services Business Rocks!"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

I have been at Macquarie now almost 5 yrs. I have seen a lot of change and all for the better. I have seen people come and go, but this place e isn't for everyone. It is a place where you work hard, play hard and you will be recognised for doing so. The people who struggle are whingers who honestly are fixated on negatives and are unable to just enjoy what a great company it is. The exec for Hosting is great, and so are all the managers and all I see is them wanted to the best for the people and just win! All these negatives reviews I see on here are truly from whingers that didn't make a difference here. The Cloud Services area and Government business are great, and the CEO is always involved in all aspects of the business and cares about the people that make a difference.

Cons

Not many, except the few whingers and non performers. The odd few that are negative and always wanting a change, I would say, why hang around moaning, it isn't a prison, just jog on!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Support the troops and continue to listen. Remain humble and maintain integrity. Kick the whingers out sooner.

Feb 23, 2017

We’re really glad you enjoy working at Macquarie Cloud - We think it Rocks too! I agree that Macquarie Telecom Group is not for everyone. We do have high expectations of our team and that's key to ... More

"I'm another one looking to get out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, some of the customers, flexibility, good pay and that's about it really. Not much else to really add here

Cons

Untrustworthy executive who leads a boy's club of drinking and shafting others for his own gain. New business head follows in same footsteps. Always has people ready to replace his leaders when he can't get anymore from them. Isn't transparent but likes to say he is, self absorbed and the list goes on. We don't want to work in a circus anymore. The false crap and theatre productions are boring. We want leadership and see this business go to new heights. This won't happen in the current arrangement. CEO doesn't make any changes which is making people talk. Sales managers are also disengaged and tired of the Macquarie toxic crap. Cloud services sales is a mess. People leaving, being forced out, high turnover. I'll be gone soon too and I know of 9 others looking.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to step in and change the circus. People don't want it anymore

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Some highly skilled individuals who are caught up with internal politics

Cons

Not the best place to work. Heavily internally focused

Advice to Management

Seek management and company restructuring advice

Feb 23, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We agree with you that we have teams full of skilled individuals. We put a lot of effort into ensuring we bring on board people that are great ... More

"God where do I start??"

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely none anymore, there was a time when there was a half decent culture with good people. However after a few months soaking in the politics and old school corporate mentality it evaporated .

The only Pro is that most staff who get over the drama which is Macquarie Telecom land well elsewhere.

Cons

A company which tries to be the head of its class but uses technologies from the 90s. Honest to god I really felt for the IT department for having to look after an aging fleet of rubbish.

Toxic managers who's only goal is to look good on paper, staff happiness is not a factor.

A HR team forced to pepper this page with 5 star reviews which claim these reviews do not reflect the real Macquarie Telecom. Let me tell you now that the blunt reviews here are spot on.

A rebranding which is surface polish at best, nothing underneath has changed.

They swept a failed startup 100% under the rug. They lied to those staff, then axed them before Christmas and managed to do it in a way that they did not get paid out.

A dangerous habit of not backfilling roles and simply having the remaining staff work harder.

Turnover which is unheard of, honestly it is next level, search seek and check out how many jobs are available, that's not growth it's attrition!

Advice to Management

None, the place is too far gone now, just ride the wave as your best and brightest head to successful players. I hear Brennan IT has a few openings.

Mar 6, 2017

I'm sorry you feel this way. We believe that with the great people here, new ones joining, our results and client feedback show that we have a great place to work. Of course we've had to make some ... More

"Time to abandon ship?"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

Office location and Salaries are good. Hosting team is trying hard against all odds and kicking goals.

Cons

Leadership culture. Politics and unpleasantness. Overworked staff and terrible morale.

Advice to Management

It's a real pity to see the leadership crumble the way it is in the telecom business unit. In the Sales team there is fear - in the presales team the leaders with any capability and leadership nous have left and others dying to get out. Those with any integrity have decided this place isn't worth the headache - and left those who were waist deep in the political game playing to sabotage themselves.

It was a good spin and story to sell a strory of empowerment in the telco team and how great we all were - but it's turned out to be one big lie. Sexism and discrimination abound, dodgy practices are the norm - and staff are so unhappy but can't say anything in this fearful culture. The board needs to retake control.

I really loved this business at one time - I had a great manager and the culture was great. All that is gone now.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We know that to do that you care for the business and people in it. people here do care that’s one of the things that makes Macquarie Telecom ... More