Macquarie Telecom Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 7, 2020

2.8
Macquarie Telecom Group Chief Executive David Tudehope  (no image)
David Tudehope
Pros
  • "Great culture, good people, really knows how to celebrate, work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• "Everyone knows everyone, can be quite chilled at times and good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Middle management are not willing to challenge CEO's thinking(in 6 reviews)

• "lack of focus by senior management which leads to them and everyone else in the business prioritising everything simultaneously(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Where to start"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Too difficult to think of anything positive

Cons

Absolute Nightmare of a place to work. No work-life balance and no career progression

"Design hybrid cloud IaaS solutions"

5.0
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, good people, really knows how to celebrate, work/life balance

Cons

Small minded, Vision could be bigger,

"HMC Engineer"

2.0

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lot of different technologies available to learn. - High level of access available to junior employees.

Cons

- Minimal training provided - Low pay compared to rest of the industry - No work, life balance.

"Unpleasant environment, best avoid"

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

Customer focus, Good training, Many good people

Cons

Poor office culture, very high staff turnover, harassment, lack of work/life balance

Continue reading

"Strong focus on Customer Services"

4.0

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for with support from management and wonderful staff. Starting out with the customer service role and moving to the wider business, you can see how important customer service is within the MT roots. Everyone knows everyone, can be quite chilled at times and good work/life balance. Pretty big drinking culture and inclusive time with all departments. Exciting time to work at MT now, with the amount of projects happening in the market.

Cons

Culture can be difficult if you do not fit in with key people. To succeed at MT, you need to multi task extremely well and ensure you know the right people to get things done. You will most likely be doing your Job+ another Job as certain parts of the business needs more staff.

Macquarie Telecom Group Response

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you see that we are bringing on board some good people and we appreciate your feedback about growing the team size to support our growth.

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think"

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

Fun people who enjoy coffee, lunch, drinks, and hanging out Money is good Location (city) is good Experience to learn lots of new things

Cons

Management style is very dictatorial, from the top, and permeats through the groups. Very limited personal growth, especially in Hosting. The Hosting exec wants everything for himself - be it trips, titles (there's no CTO or Sales Director in the Hosting business - as opposed to Telco) or rewards. It's "Hosting Exec" first, everyone else 2nd The executive in Hosting talks about a "start-up culture", but the reality is that Macquarie is anything BUT a start-up culture. In a start-up culture, people's views are valued and everyone gets to enjoy the success; in Hosting, the only view that matters is the executive's, who will shutdown any opposing view Staff are totally disempowered and not able to make decisions for themselves. Everything needs to be decided by the executive - and not just big things, like strategic direction - but little things, like seating positions, desk layouts, font colour and size. No manager or individual is empowered to make decisions, because A) the executive doesn't trust anyone and B) he thinks he can make better decisions himself Telco is just as bad for an entirely different reason, with a culture of mistrust and deceit. The executive in Telco is a megalomaniac who is only concerned with how he looks to his cohorts There are limited investments in people across the business, so teams are horribly overworked (its all about the bottom line; nothing wrong with working hard, but there needs to be a balance) Trainng budget is non-existent and so they need to bludge free training off vendors Shared services are a total joke - travel policy is absurd: oh, you have a 1-hour 12PM meeting interstate? Well obviously you can't use the video conferencing facilties (seriously guys, it's 2016 - get it together); so you need to fly. But you need to fly before 730AM and and after 6PM according to corporate policy, so that means a 4AM wake-up for Brisbane or Melbourne. Work life balance? Nah

Macquarie Telecom Group Response

Anyone who takes the time to write a review like this is obviously passionate about their career and their employer. So, thank you. We’re sorry to see you go. You’ve raised a lot of points in your review. I won’t address them individually. I will say that we are changing. We’ve brought a significant number of great new people into our businesses and we’re doing a lot of work on coaching and developing our leaders to ensure that our employee experience is the best it can be. That work will continue. We know we have great people at Macquarie Telecom Group and we’re always looking for ways to address the challenges that they face day to day.

7. "Growing from strength to strength"

4.0
    Former Employee - Bid Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's taken a while, but there are a great bunch of new and legacy people within Macquarie that form a tight knit community in and out of work. Work-life balance is excellent and management are genuinely concerned for your welfare.

Cons

Limited career path and work-choice. If you are based in a state office that isn't NSW, you can feel on the outer. Pay disparity between Sales and everyone else!

"Macquarie Telecom"

in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance and MT are good at what they do. Genuine attempts at being a customer centric organisation

Cons

Narrow product line and will not offer managed services when market is calling for it. Policy and procedure often get in the way of putting customer first. Operation are very internally focused and rarely focused on the end result of customer first. Say no to a lot of business through narrow lense of what they want to do.

Continue reading

"When will this ship sink?"

in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group

Pros

A very small group of very smart people work here for about 2 years before realising they are wasting their time - possibly worth joining to learn from these people... possibly. You should learn alot from being chucked in the deep end due to out-of-touch HR onboarding and unknowledgeable management - or no management at all since everyone is jumping ship. Great work-life balance since noone cares enough to stay past 5pm.

Cons

Old school management think they know best despite constantly hiring expensive consultants - constant changes in direction usually when you have just started to make progress or see results. Have never seen so many "leaders" pulling the company in different directions to build their own profiles rather than acheive the company vision (not that the company has a vision.)

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews