Macquarium Reviews | Glassdoor

Art Hopkins

1. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macquarium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic and fun group of people. I learned a lot while I was there and was sad to leave. The team is very smart and dedicated to constant improvement. They push the boundaries in design which is really fun to be a part of. Lots of fun group activities. They have someone who is dedicated to making sure employees are happy and supported.

Cons

They are busy with little time for mentorship which is something I was looking for.

Advice to Management

Mentorship program would be a great value add

2. "UX Design"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macquarium as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, creative atmosphere, flex hours, very professional

Cons

Everything is a guess since there's no feedback positive or negative. Curt and all business. Too sensitive. Secretive. Pompous. Uses contractors to get sales leads. Only get paid per billable hour.

Advice to Management

Encourage communication and collaboration on projects. Provide specific feedback to ensure new contractors understand what is expected and what that looks like so they don't fail. Ensure that if someone is going to collaborate with you to help flush out ideas but can't because of work load, that someone else steps in to assist.
    Let the workers work. They shouldn't be expected to help get business.

3. "Spacious, Autonomous yet Free Falling"

Former Contractor - User Experience/UI Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - User Experience/UI Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macquarium as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

• Its agency work with few guardrails (very autonomous)
    • Level of creativity is based on you
    * No pointless meetings
    * There are only two purposes for meetings: Call with a client or Reviewing/Strategizing your designs (Brainstorms)

Cons

Miscommunication between the PM and the in-house recruiter. Apparently, the recruiter isn't aware of the amount of work that's in their queue.

I really liked this job and the people that work there. Very friendly and open to discussion, but it wasn't until the day of, that it was shared with me that I was running low on billable hours designated by the client. And it wasn't until I received this information, did I find out that there were no other projects to work on afterwards.

I was told that I had a 3 month contract with them, but it ended after 3 weeks.
    The PM is a really cool guy, but I would have loved to be warned that the project I was working on, would be the only project I would work on.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone knows what's going on before promoting contract timelines and needs for designers.

5. "Sr. Manager, Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Technology in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macquarium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Co-workers are super cool, awesome, talented bunch. Good salary. Great work life balance.

Cons

Bonus is based on billable hours. You get bonus only if you hit more than 80% billing. Limited growth opportunities. Limited clients.

Advice to Management

Retain your talent if you want to grow as a company. Recently, I have seen many good people leave the company.

6. "great company. creative. innovative."

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macquarium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome people. some of the brightest minds in the business

Cons

small company problems. small company benefits.

"Outstanding organization with a passion for providing solutions based on the user experience."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Macquarium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good bonuses, flexible management, empowered employees, entrepreneurship valued. Very good communication within the organization. Work - life balance!

Cons

HQ is in Atlanta, no DC office at the time of this writing, only people in the field within the DC area.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Macquarium's on the right track with user experience design, and tremendous respect for what they do on behalf of the client..

"This is a dead-end company that is hanging on by a thread."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very good quality of life. They will let me go home or take vacation anytime I want. Come and go as you see fit.

Cons

Management is absent. The place is a ghost-town. Nobody cares and nobody knows what to care about.

I see new people coming in after having been told false things about what it's like here, what we do, how we work and how to succeed. It's unfair to these new employees to see them get so disappointed on week two.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Drop the veil on all these secretive charades that are being played in the company. Stop acting like a multi-million dollar consulting firm when we're really just a staffing firm.

"Lost company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good flex time and some good people. Clients have been pretty good, but not all. Even though there is inconsistent knowledge about it, UX seems to be a good specialty for the firm.

Cons

Company lacks vision and ability to execute what many of the employees agree they need. Employees are talented people. Leadership is lost and model is backwards. Ultimately it's a company that lacks style. Just a disappointment all around. Culture is the worst...

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Learn about UX. Replace some of the executive team. Work on your brand. The pretty basic stuff is not mastered, yet you have some good people... Culture.. Where do I begin? Most employees are looking for other jobs--in a good economy, you would have no retention..

"Not a good place for developers"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Telecommute Wednesdays, opportunity to work on many different projects for different clients, close to midtown location, diverse employees, several very nice people.

Cons

Reputation for being a sweatshop, provide inaccurate estimates to get clients then developers swallow the unestimated hours. I put in a few 80 hour weeks, and management once told the company that they "own our ass" for 50 hours per week. Nah, you don't own anybody slavery ended over 100 years ago. Environment is noisy and distracting. I've also seen a lot of crappy code (while appearing visually stunning) be delivered to the client.

Advice to Management

There ain't no way in hell that you own anybody. You need to have more respect for your developers.

"Good place for people coming right out of college."

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work on big brands, fast learning, excellent people. Good place for people coming right out of college.

Cons

Career advancement; shaky environment in a low market.

Advice to Management

To invest in people. Set clear expectations of career progression and follow up on them objectively. To reward hard work appropriately. Self sacrifice is not a sustainable business model.