Macy's Reviews in Albuquerque, NM | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "fragrance assosiate"

Current Employee - Fragrance Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Fragrance Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like macys because its a classy store. and i bellieve there is alot of oppertunities. I like working with customers

Cons

I dont feel that there would be any cons. macys is a very nice store. I would like to work for.

Advice to Management

I am very good with customer service. I enjoy working with the public.

2. "Mgmt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

The people, Macys $, shifts.

Cons

store manager, favoritism, holiday hours

Advice to Management

Treat employees with the utmost respect and dignity and maybe the attrition rate wouldnt be so high.

3. "No job security"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

weekly pay, discounts, full time benefits, make your own schedule

Cons

over worked, low pay, lazy HR manager, no job security, they don't care about their employees, rise aren't in full effect once promoted had to wait 6 months with no back pay

Advice to Management

The employee's work hard they should be rewarded as such. Get a new HR manager that actually cares about how hard the employee's work & not judge them because she isn't familiar with them or their work ethic. Get a more responsible HR manager. Rises should be in effect once promoted.

4. "Very welcoming and helpful to newcomers in retail"

Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

I was coming from a fast food place as my first job and wanted to get my foot in the door with retail. Macy's offered me great training experience and if i did not understand it thoroughly in training then the sales associates were more than grateful to help me out. The salary was around 8.40 which was to be expected since it was my first time in retail. I thought some of the associates were pleasant to work around and if i did not have enough hours for the week they were more than happy to have me cover some of their shifts. I was not hired on as a sales associate, i was seasonal help in the fragrance department and rang things up for other associates as they made sales.

The employee discount is great - 20% - and that can be stacked with coupons you receive in the mail through the Macy card they make you sign up for through training.

Cons

Working as HOLIDAY help in the fragrance department is definitely a challenge. Christmas time is when the store makes its most money and this adds pressure and stress on the associates who become competitive and may not be the nicest to you when they give you a sale to ring up. Some of them would apologize after which was nice; others would go and talk behind your back. Compared to Dillard associates however who have a reputation for being backstabbing employees who will step on you to make a sale, Macy's is definitely more tolerable.

Throughout working seasonal they do discuss how if you do well you can work your way up as a part-time sales associate, however when the new budget of the store came out i was not offered this and they put me as an on-call - which basically means if they need me they'll call me...

Advice to Management

Even if the employees are seasonal, treat them as associates and do not push their opinions to the side just because they have not been working there for years and years like other employees.

5. "It's a fun job, most of the time."

Current Employee - Sales Associate Shoes in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Shoes in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In enjoy the freedom I have, meeting lots of different types of people, employee discounts, and community involvement Macys has. They do lots of charity event and fundraisers, for customers and employees. Also there are benefits such as 401k and insurance.

Cons

You must sell a certain amount of credit cards weekly, during the holidays they add more stuff for you to sell (thanks for sharing), there are constant changes, and they could definetly pay employees more, apparently you max out on salary pretty easily.

"You become nothing more than a statistic; a number to be reviewed and a posession of the company."

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun customers, unique selling strategy. They teach you the fundamentals of successful customer interactions, which you can utilize for future endeavors. Perfect job for students or those with other primary employment to get a few hours in.

Cons

You are nothing but a number, a statistic. All goals are based upon your performance, and you will be expected to continue to exceed previous preformance. As soon as you stop exceeding that, you will loose your job. They have no problem firing you if you do not exceed expectations.

Also, don't expect to ever be scheduled to the amount of hours they offered! If you are "Full time", that means 32 hours or less. "Part Time" means 12 hours. They expect you to keep your availibility open for most positions, and expect that they will take advantage of that. You may be scheduled to close one night, open the next morning, and work a three hour shift the next day. Very random scheduling, with their only priority being "business needs".

It is next to impossible to advance in this company, unless you relocate. There are around 17 steps on the "Career Path" from Sales Associate to manager, most without pay increase. During three years on the job, zero management positions have become available.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots of Macy's. Remember that the company was started by a man who didn't think like the rest of the pack, and who went against the grain. We are people, not statistics. We have lives; we are just as important as your customer base. You do not pay your associates enough money to treat them like you own them.

You schedule so randomly that even if your associates need to obtain secondary employment, they can't, because you never give them the same days off! We make miniumum wage, or just slightly more money than that. Many of the people I work with are employed full time, and are on food stamps.

This "Macy's Money" idea of "rewarding" the associates is ridiculous! You are given "Macy's Money" as a way to recognize performance, but it requires you spend as much actual cash as the value of the "Macy's Money" to use it. It's basically a 50% coupon, with a dollar value assigned to it. This is not a reward, it is a way for the company to get you to give back your pay to the company! If you wanted to really reward us, you would give us things, (extra money on our check, or gift certificates/cards) not make us give you money back. What a sham. We all see right through that one!

Change your training program for new hires. Putting someone in to a closet with a training register and no attention is not effective, and does not prepare employees for the selling floor.

"No one told me how to contact a manager!"

Former Employee - Shoe Sales Department in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Shoe Sales Department in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and Macy bucks

Cons

Horrible management, never knew where to find a manager.
     They payed to much attention to register training and not enough time with floor training. I was never showed how to use the phone or contact a manager, but left to work alone on first day.Hired as Flex time but forced to work full time hours. Employees would steal sales from each other.

Advice to Management

More employee interaction along with further training beyond the register.

Showing 7 of 14,548 reviews