Macy's Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 328 reviews)

• I didn't feel morally right trying to convince people to open up credit cards when I could tell that it wasn't a good decision for them (in 797 reviews)

"My Macy's experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opening credit card applications were very rewarding. Each time you opened one you received "Macys Money", which was store money that could be used on anything in the store.

Cons

The stress of opening credit cards.

2. "Interview"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Morrow, GA
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Morrow, GA

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good environment, its close to home. Workers are friendly. There are opportunities to get promoted. I got hired on the spot at the interview. It went smooth.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

"This job has a shelf life!"

Former Employee - Ft Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Ft Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed weekly pay, 20% discount +30% once per month plus employee only specials at specified times.

Cons

The training is self taught. You are placed in a room with a computer for a day or two until training is complete and you either get it or you don't.The last part of the training is supposedly to shadow someone on the floor, however, it is retail, so the employee doesn't have time to train you and work at the same time. There are employees that have been there for a significant amount of time that are great to work with, but for the most part are very territorial over the dept and will act as your manager even though they are only an associate themselves.I worked in the ladies dresses/formal wear/suits and the 'specialist' of that dept who really had no prior training or expertise, was handed a title and thought she owned that dept. She ran employees off and no one wanted to pick up shifts in that dept. In the short time I was there, we lost several employees. She was committing credit fraud to open new accounts and breaking store policy, regardless of how much she was reported, it was swept under the rug. She was even named Star Employee of the Month. This company will turn the other cheek if it benefits them, but will not support their employees when they are being harassed and belittled by these such employees. We were constantly nagged to increase sales and new accounts everyday, several times per day but there was no support if we had to be out for illness or family emergencies. It is all about the bottom number.You are most definitely replaceable at Macy's and if you don't hit your quota on opening new accounts you are at jeopardy of loosing your job. I had to fight to get my breaks during busy times, we were often told there was not enough coverage. I know of at least two shifts that I was not even given time to get a bathroom break during my entire shift. The pay is low and the annual raises are even worse, I received 10 cents for the next year and was told to keep working on customer service.

Advice to Management

It is all about the bottom number. The company advertises work life balance but that is bait and switch. You have the opportunity to advertise or switch schedules with someone else, but if you do this too much, the manager speaks to you. Regardless if you are scheduled outside of your availability. Employees that are breaking policy and mistreating their fellow coworkers are not dealt with, regardless of how often it is reported. They would rather loose several employees and keep the bad apple instead of dealing with the problem. There is no exception to loosing attendance points despite illness and family emergencies involving hospital admissions,etc. Life has circumstances beyond our control. But at Macys, we are at jeopardy of loosing our jobs because every absence or tardy is counted the same regardless of the reason. Management tells you a doctors note is irrelevant, but they will ask to see it anyway to see if you are lying. This employer is a crap shoot.

4. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved getting payed every week, limited manager supervision, we got our 20% discount on top of the macys discount on all items, and it was easy to swap and pick up shifts.

Cons

We closed later then the mall sometimes.

5. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with.

Cons

Flexible hours when you are going to school

Advice to Management

Keep it up

6. "Men's Shoe Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, weekly pay, and opportunities to increase and decrease hours per week. Good benefits too.

Cons

Making commission takes time and is conditional on you whatever you make in commission totaling more than your hourly pay for the week.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic goals for opening new accounts and presales.

7. "I really enjoy my job, finally!"

Current Employee - Sales, Customer Service in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales, Customer Service in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation days after 6 months, great employee discounts, you can earn Macy's money to spend, they advertise and constantly have sales events to bring in shoppers, you can request 3 specific days off each month. Having worked for other department stores, I now know that Macy's is a great employer.

Cons

Often we are overstaffed(and on comission) or understaffed and running around like crazy. The scheduling sometimes makes no sense. They will cut hours when it's slow to 28/week for full-time. They let our stock get very low and customers get upset, and often decide to buy online which eliminates the need for salespeople. They are also enticed and rewarded for shopping online, again eliminating the need for salespeople.

Advice to Management

Positive rewards and recognition goes a long way for any employee!

8. "Macy's is an excellent company to work for!"

Former Employee - Operations Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are literally hundreds of opportunities for advancement and training within the company!

Cons

There is A LOT of work and can be very long hours.

Advice to Management

You all are doing a great job - keep up good work!

9. "distribution management"

Former Employee - Director of Fulfilment in Stone Mountain, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Fulfilment in Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

iconic brand
    nationwide network
    emerging ecommerce business

Cons

no regard for safety
    atmosphere that encouraged covering up problems
    dishonesty at upper levels that naturally trickled down to poison the entire culture

Advice to Management

encourage the team to identify and solve problems, not pretend that they don't exist

10. "Not enough pay, managers have favoritism, but good first job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Long hours, plus overtime.
    Holiday hours and holiday pay.
    Full and part time positions available.

Cons

Managers favoritism and managers micromanage employees.
    If you have anxiety or depression, this job isn't for you. They don't care if you have anxiety or depression. All they care about is making the sale and a body ringing up the merchandize.
    Schedule isn't consistent. Kinda all over the place.

Advice to Management

You should care about your employees more.

Showing 262 of 13,648 reviews