Macy's Reviews in Birmingham, AL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to give up or take shifts.

Cons

I think they should pay a little more.

"Management"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Challenging and extremely motivating environment. Ability to have work life balance a plus. Above average compensation and many opportunities to advance

Cons

Have forgotten it is a retail store and focuses on credit or charity donations as gimmicks. Extremely high pressure to deliver on many different metrics that make it almost impossible to achieve. Not good at keeping morale up when hard times come.

Advice to Management

Remember that your people are the life blood of the company. Do not treat them as numbers but try to act like you care. If someone suddenly drops off who was high performer then investigate as to why this is happening

3. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, the benefits are good

Cons

not so great pay, customers take to many clothes in the dressing room, the racks to put back

Advice to Management

Limit the items the customers take into fitting room, suggesting better pay rate especially off experience

"Ok experience"

Current Employee - Merchandise Team Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Team Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company embraces diversity and does a lot of community outreach. Some creativity is allowed and some ideas are accepted. Almost overstrained with the amount of classes they put you through

Cons

Extremely overworked and understaffed to save on "cost and profit margins". Was exhausted everyday after work. Unrealistic expectations for someone who cares about their work and wants to get everything done on time. Different organizations don't communicate workload with each other resulting in overwhelming demands of the employees due at the exact same time.

Advice to Management

Ensuring we "make a number" for the operational world is destroying the customer experience and representation of our stores to the customers. Presentation has taken a back burner in order to ensure the stock holders are happy with the operational quotas being met.

"Unrealistic expectations for employees as they cut jobs to stay profitable yet increase job expectations."

Current Employee - Visual Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Macy's is very supportive of local charities and equality and they also offer certain days for additional discounts on work clothing for their associates. The also reward outstanding work with the "magic card" initiative which results in money towards products.

Cons

As the face of retail continues to move toward online purchases and competition grows with the Big 4, Macy's cuts jobs to stay profitable and thus puts more pressure on those who remain on the floor...increasing expectations and decreasing support. Remote management for some positions marks a serious problem with understanding a location and it's particular challenges. Insufficient organized training wanes as outside employees are hired in and have not worked within the Macy's framework. In my opinion...lack of onsite accountability for such jobs is a recipe for disaster and low retention numbers.

Advice to Management

Consider quality versus quantity of your store locations. Keep what you can afford and manage and do those locations better than the competition. I had unrealistic job expectations and I nearly killed myself to perform my job duties; WITHOUT proper help and WITHOUT proper training...who has time for training when the reviews are about your job completions. I was very disappointed in my experience with Macy's.

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount is good for employees, the pay is not bad

Cons

They call you and ask you to work on your off days, constantly. Employees are asked to work double shifts for other employees that do not show for work.

Advice to Management

Screen employees better.

7. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good hours of business yo be open.

Cons

there isnt any cons to macys.

Showing 7 of 14,516 reviews