Macy's Reviews in Boise, ID | Glassdoor

"Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Very rewarding not only with your customers but also the employees who work there.

Cons

Can be very chaotic and stressful. A lot of pressure to perform.

2. "pretty good place"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Boise, ID

Pros

good managers, open-door policy, good perks, manage your own schedule

Cons

better pay increases, expensive benefits, you are worked hard during holidays and weekends

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

Pros

Fun environment, upbeat management, good people, nice clothes, good discounts. Low stress environment.

Cons

Pay is low, no commissions in many areas, so somewhat less incentive to sell. Not a lot of room for career advancement on a local basis.

Advice to Management

Add some type of financial incentives for sales people- make sure all associates know of current promotions, changes in departments- especially since people on different shifts often do not get informed of the latest store events and the like. Also more training in specific products from reps would be helpful for increased employee knowledge and increases in sales.

4. "Customers always right to a fault"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, discounts/sales, if part time, you can get away with not working weekends all the time

Cons

Management is dramatic and incompetent, at my store they were all terrified of going against the head store manager. Store manager would fire people she didn't like. VERY pushy about 'what MORE' can you do, even if you have a perfect 100 in sales and credit apps. Employees treated like crap every single day by customers and managers.

Advice to Management

Take one day to be on sales floor to know what's actually happening on front lines. Don't take customers side for every single thing.

"Probably the most disconnected management team that I have ever worked with."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

Pros

Discount was nice. The fact that the Store Manager did her best to remember everyone's name, but that is only when she bothered to walk the salesfloor.

Cons

The department managers are completely over their heads. The majority 90% of the time they spend in their offices. The have no idea what is going on out on the salesfloor. Managers can't answer simple questions like where their biggest opportunities for shrink are, what brands are performing and which are not. They seemingly have no idea about Profit and Loss results and how to impact them. It was also a filthy department store with absolutely no cleaning program in place. The store manager serves as neither a mentor or a teacher or her management staff would be much more knowledgeable about their businesses. Stockroom standards are some of the worst I've seen, 300.00 handbags all over the stockroom floor, seasonal liabilities left in the stockroom, huge amounts of clearance in the stockrooms all of which could be improved it the store director actually walked the floor and the stockrooms each day and set a standard. How she was ever selected for that position is amazing to me.

Advice to Management

My best advice would start with having a management team that presented themselves in a professional manner. Their attire is seemingly unimportant, wrinkled, dirty and the physical presentation is worse. Unwashed hair, just basic presentation that I don't believe represents Macy's in a positive and professional way. They are salaried clock watchers that will leave without giving evening direction and with their salesfloors in complete disarray. And the three hour scheduled shifts? What retailer does that? Not even worth the time to come in. And in closing I would add that they had the most ineffective human resource department I have every worked with, with the director allocating far to much labor into that area. Two people at the most should be able to handle that department.

6. "Sad they went out of business"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited creativity for estheticians, discounts on product, beautiful spa

Cons

Shut down, stressful worrying about having materials to perform job, never received pay sheet going over how many facials performed, product sold etc just cut a check.

Advice to Management

Wish everything was more organized

7. "Employment at Macy's"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on most Macy's products

Cons

Not employee friendly
    Poor pay
    No benefits
    Monthly change in direction
    Hard to get many hours

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns and not just give lip service.

8. "Outstanding dedication to service and a good work environment."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's values working as a team and communicating which makes for less stress and competitive behaviors.

Cons

Managers being responsible for too many departments and non department specific tasks stretches them too thin and makes them less effective at running their own teams and being involved where it counts.

Advice to Management

Keep the managers in their departments and have general managers for other operations. I feel like my team didn't get enough feedback, involvement, or time with our manager for her to be effective in motivating, coaching, or understanding us.

Showing 8 of 14,521 reviews