Macy's Reviews in Chesapeake, VA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment.

Cons

You have to offer customers Macy's credit cards, which they will often turn down.

2. "Macys review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to pick up great hours. Also, you have the flexibility to to swap shifts or give away shifts, or pick up shifts.

Cons

They don't schedule enough workers to put away clothes so tons of racks form by the end of the week.

Advice to Management

Schedule atleast 3 people to come in from 7a.m. to 11 a.m. two to three times a week to work on put backs. Particularly at the VA Greenbrier location.

3. "Customer service associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers!

Cons

Lowest pay ever! Demanding you get 5 credits a day. Then changing it to one credit app a shift. I had one slow month and one manager threatened to fire me. Extremely stressful job! Pay starts at $8.00 and barely goes up from there. You get a few cent raise each year which they use the excuse it’s based on how well your store is doing. Many people lose their jobs as there is no sick leave and if you run out of attendance points you’re fired. I’ve even gone to work with the flu. They fired 20 people for no reason in January and now they have 4 people per floor.

Advice to Management

Corporate says don’t take last act back after 30 days, so we tell the customer that, then you over ride the purchase and take it back anyways. It’s become a used clothing store because you allow people to buy, borrow and return anything. Then you wonder why sales are horrific and you have the audacity to base our raise on your destruction of the Company. Yet you still can’t figure out why your stores are closing. Get a clue!

"Just, ok."

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great scheduling around my class schedule, I was able to learn every area of the store over 4 yrs.

Cons

They told us they were closing the store the same day the media was told, with less than 60 days notice of closing.

Advice to Management

Corporate, not management, think of your loyal employees sometimes and not only money at the end of the day.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Cosmetic Associate in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Associate in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

I took a part-time job in cosmetics at Macy's to make extra cash. Management was great and if you work hard you can advance fairly quickly. I made quite a but of money during the holidays as well. Macy's pays a commission on sales you make and they also pay out Macy's money for each credit card you open. Macy's money saved you so much money off the items you want to buy.

Cons

You get called in a lot on your days off but you can always so no. Also, if they call you in or ask you to work longer shifts it is because they like you.

6. "Great for a student"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

The associate discount is a great perk at working for macys and that you can use it on top of the other sales and discounts.

Cons

As a temporary employee I did not get any benefits that a part or full time employee would give. Also because I worked during the christmas holiday, alot of the full time workers were very competitive with meeting their sales goals.

Showing 6 of 16,594 reviews