Macy's Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 372 reviews)

• Poor management - pushing Macys credit cards - doesn't care about their associates (in 848 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work with. Co workers are very nice.Mangers are very nice too.

Cons

Work during holidays are tough. Late hours.

2. "Human Resource Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the people, culture and work/life balance. Internal promotions are available if you work hard and they strive to keep those they consider to be top talent no matter the circumstance.

Cons

Retail industry instability creates concern for longevity in any position.

3. "It was a decent experience"

Former Employee - Frango Stock Handler in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Frango Stock Handler in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Those fellow employees can be really friendly.. Really say good mornin to you if they see you.. Although there are some funny actin ones as always.. The atmosphere can be really good sometimes, and the managers don't look down on you for the most part..

Cons

Some people can be funny acting, they can be really funny with the hours they give you. Unless you have a cool manager.. They can also be more on the customer's side too often even if the customer is wrong, and the customers can be really annoyin, but that's a given.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and try to be more thorough with the people you are managing..

4. "Good for seasonal job"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly and helpful management
    -Always busy
    -Good associate discounts and perks like Macy's Money for opening new account
    -Meeting new people all the time
    -EXCELLENT SHIFTS that you can choose
    -Excellent InSight function to review all you activity, revenues and tax payments
    -Nice colleagues

Cons

-Very dusty environment. Keep you hands cleaned by sanitizer all the time
    -Some customers are really nasty and don't wanna understand anything

5. "Seasonal"

Former Employee - Seasonal in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Up front about hiring process and pay. Worked with helpful friendly people.

Cons

Not much, it was what I expeted

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible in terms of shifts
    Not bad for PT work

Cons

Not too much room for growth, salary not great
    Can't really recommend unless you need PT work

Advice to Management

Try to get everyone to work as a team

7. "It was good the costumers are very friendly and also the employees"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get discounts on merchandise everyone is so friendly and your always busy with recovering or ringing and sometimes when people need help you’ll stop what your doing just to help them out

Cons

Some costumers can be really mean and sometimes with closing if you need help and tried calling the manager they don’t answer

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your employees

8. "Macy's Starbucks"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, flexible schedule, free coffee

Cons

Minimum wage, unpaid lunch, poor training

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a livable wage and invest more time and interest in their training.

9. "Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my job. Its fun and allowed me to use my creativity to enhance the shopping environment. Most of my co-workers were awesome and fun. Each weeks different and you learn a lot (mainly on your own though). Holiday was my all-time favorite time of year bc I got to decorate the store with holiday decor. Macy's has a lot of product so learning how to merchandise for a variety of demographics was fun. You also work with so many different brands and I enjoyed creating brand specific trends for those brands. Mannequins and windows were always a good time. I also enjoyed getting to build awesome displays.

Cons

- Job can be stressful at times, which isnt good when your boss can't handle stress.
    - I had to learn most stuff on my own since training was not done. Ask questions had to be on a regular basis bc nobody was trained how to do something.
    - Communication with visual manager and team wasnt the best. This made working conditions tense and stressful lots of times.
    - Advancement didn't look great. Since you were not set up for success advancement wont happen.
    -Manager talks bad about team and gossips to team members about other members of the team.
    -Credit for work was not really given.
    -Competitive environment made it hard to work with some members of the team.
    - Since manager was always stressed it was hard to work at times. You could never tell what mood he was in and often would get talked down to and screamed at. This is the main reason I left.
    -Tight deadlines and assignments given at last minute with little time to complete.
    -Very wasteful company. The amount of fixtures and props that get thrown away without ever being used is crazy. Macy's should invest in getting a team together to minimize waste and they would save so much money. The amount of stuff we throw away is crazy and lots of it could be sold online or donated/recycled.
    -Lots of visits that required long hours and hectic schedule at times.
    -Shoppers are messy and lots of times very rude. The things you see people do and act is gross.
    -Organization of fixtures and back rooms needs attention.
    - Lots of times I knew more than my manager. Knowing you could do your bosses job way better is not good.
    -Feedback on work was not given
    - ﹰLots of times you put in a ton of hard work and it would be nice to be recognized with advancement opportunities and pay raises.
    - health insurance is not good and its expensive.

Advice to Management

District and regional managers need to be in the stores more to evaluate the leaders in the store and see firsthand who are the hard workers. Lots of slackers and managers that shouldnt be in a leadership role. I absolutely loved my job and got along great with most teammates. The reason I left was because my direct manager should not be in the position of managing. This made me at times hate my job just because of his negative attitude and unpredictable personality. One day hes your best friend, the next hes yelling at you bc you dont understand directions for a project that he has not communicated correctly. Look at the turnover rate in certain departments. Those with a high turnover rate are those with a bad manager. Listen and engage with teams more. Do random pop in visits bc lots of times those scheduled visits make the store look incredible. Truth is the store rarely looks like this and only looks this good based off the hours of hard work put in. Pay attention to wasteful stores.

10. "Time at Macy's"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

-with the new employee task system, employees can upload their shifts and not be worried about someone not picking it up because everyone is looking for hours
    -there is a point system

Cons

-no flexible hours
    -overworked their staff
    -receive little break time

Showing 344 of 15,121 reviews