Macy's Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 389 reviews)

• Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards (in 861 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work with. Co workers are very nice.Mangers are very nice too.

Cons

Work during holidays are tough. Late hours.

2. "Sales Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Macys is the scheduling!

Cons

Other co-workers
    Long hours on your feet with little break

3. "Sales associate/ Dock work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent area, Nice co-workers, had pizza during breaks. breaks weren't given unless you ask for it and sometimes they completely forget about it even though that labor abuse.

Cons

Not a happy job, you'll start having back issues and I'm 18. stand for 6-7 hours straight. barely any breaks. Confusing codes that you have to learn.

Advice to Management

it was crappy and messy in the stock room. They did not know how to manage the stock room.

"Horrible !! Magic Maker one year, job terminated 8 months later!! They will RUN YOU INTO THE GROUND!!!"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So short handed so you learn it all....YOU DO NOT HACE A CHOICE! Pretty good about giving you time off when requested ahead of time....IF your manager likes you. Middle management at the store is usually nice, and Ive had a very good store manager when I started....3 in 3.5 years !!!

Cons

So horribly run, the MOST NEGATIVE place you COULD EVER WORK AT!! Did I mention upper management does not acknowledge workers when they visit? We work in retail, we're NOT doctors! Stupid Points System....even if you are sick you can NOT call off, you lose points and PAY! Also if you lose ALL your points you lose your job.
    Macys is in awful shape and eliminated great talent. Those they kept have to do 5 jobs...oh and clientele, and open cards! Basically they are being run into the ground... Macys mentality in upper management is totally OUT OF TOUCH and could NOT do an everyday workers job if they waned to. NO CLUE how to actually work.

Advice to Management

Its sad what Macy's has become, culturally obsolete!! They've lost they way! They were known for low pay and sub par employees, but its at an all time low. I hope they make it in retail, but I do NOT think so. Their fashion for the most part is cheap and tacky! Stores are full of racks with awful clothes no one would ever want to buy or wear!
    Employer advice......Treat your employees well, and pay them REAL $ and you can retain good talent. Otherwise those you let go of, or leave because its so awful, will find great jobs and take talent elsewhere! You are NOT focusing on your customers when you employ and run your stores with skeleton crews! When you pay insulting wages, you get and keep low paid employees that do NOT CARE! I learned a lot because my store was so poorly staffed and run, but besides that my experience was absolutely awful!! Its too bad when you take over beloved stores like LS Ayers and Marshall Fields and ruin them!!
    Its only a matter of time before Macys dies along with like retailers.

5. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice employee lounge, decent coworkers

Cons

catty environment, terrible pay, immature supervisors

6. "Great Choice for Seasonal Position"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Love the store. Customers are nice. Great choice for seasonal work. Best departments are Christmas and Children's.

Cons

Seasonal associate pay is low.

7. "Worked at the Starbucks in a store, so it was a weird dynamic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Great discount. Low stress (at least at Starbucks)

Cons

Not a particularly motivated staff - or management.

8. "Sales associate/Support"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment, and customer engagement. Easy to work place with plenty of benefits and paid vacation time off. A lot of opportunities to go higher up.

Cons

Associates are rude to other associate and talk behind their backs in ways that should not be acceptable in an environment such as a store as Macy’s. Managers are rude at times when they should keep their composure. They blindly give away positions to people that don’t deserve them, and they completely ignore the hard working associates. AP is always snitching on other people when they themselves need to be looked at for the stuff they do.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on associates and AP themselves. It’s not fair to other associates that they are being overlooked while others associates are getting higher positions when they don’t deserve it. Conduct better interviews rather than thinking just because one person is higher than the other, that the other person can’t out perform them. Managers should stop spreading rumors in a work place and just focus on their duties at the store. It’s a work place, not a gossip center. Keep it professional and have respect towards your associates. It’s disgusting to see that they can boss other associates around without listening to their opinions on certain things.

9. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Okay pay, great for picking up extra hours

Cons

Customers are really always right, management really don’t do much or care for associates, push you to make goals they really can’t achi themselves, can be stressful

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of the stress associates are under dealing with demanding customers

10. "Retail Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy’s is a really great company to work for. I learned a lot at Macy’s as a Merchandiser. My manager was expectionally great. I would recommend Macy’s if your looking to get experience in your field as a recent college student it’s a great place to learn a lot.

Cons

Low pay and holidays

Advice to Management

I loved working for the company Macy’s, but I felt like the pay could have been more for the amount of work we do as Merchandiser.

Showing 354 of 15,649 reviews