Macy's Commissioned Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 870 reviews)

1. "Ladies shoe salesman"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great commission, just make sure you sell!
    Flexible schedule- you can advertise, switch and pick up shifts easily.
    Magic training classes- teaches you the tips and tricks how to become a better salesperson.
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes the weekends and one day sales can be very chaotic; especially in the clearance shoe racks.
    You just have to keep an eye on your customers, sometimes the tourists who aren't familiar with the commission environment might walk out of the department and ring up their sales in another department.

2. "Commissioned Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay (Friday)
    Relexed Dress Code
    20% - 30% Discount

Cons

No life / work balance
    Managers play favorites
    Poor Pay
    Expensive Health Benefits
    Unreasonable Sales Goals
    Macys Credit Card sales tactics are pushy and APR is too high.

Advice to Management

Store is never properly cleaned unless there is a “corporate” visit scheduled. You need to see what the day to day operation is like and do unannounced visits.
    Morning “rally” is boring and usually uninformative.

3. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my position and my coworkers. I had the opportunity for growth, even though the pay did not increase much. I gained great experience and really enjoyed my department in men's suits.

Cons

When it came to the management, we were always getting new managers. The management was awful at the time I was there, and it created a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Improve the quality of the overall management

4. "Read my review before you apply"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , Company cares about customers and gives you the power to take care people. Good place just to learn some customer service and move on with another career.

Cons

The system will get rid of you soon if:
    1.You make a lot of money
    2.If you talk about your opinions towards unrealistic business methods they use
    3.If you are looking for growth in your career
    4.If you are middle eastern (based on the experience of me and at least 6 different people that I worked with)

Management has absolutely no respect for employees points of view.
    Asset protection people treat all the employees like potential theft suspects.
    Absolutely no room for growth unless someone above you gets fired because they are not opening any new stores.

Advice to Management

They don't really need any advice. This is how they do business and it looks like they are pretty satisfied with the results.

5. "They won’t last long"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Brea, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to swap or advertise your shifts. Good discounts.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare. Done by a computer who won’t care if you’re by yourself on Black Friday for 10 hours. No coverage when you’re alone, HR never calls people in if they want to pick up shifts. You’re required to work when they need you, you have no choice. Can’t even get someone to cover you who isn’t working if it’s a key day. Management is a joke. They let go so many employees so the stores are skeletons. Macy’s won’t last long.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people not cattle. You should be giving good employees raises.

6. "Hear your employees for your customer’s sake"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and a decent discount

Cons

No communication in management and lack of knowledge within management but not enough pay to make a management position worthwhile for me coming from a commissioned area. So many lay offs in the past year the store can barely run. How long will the company be sustainable at this rate?

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team more. They’re running the show. Ask them questions before making decisions that affect them and how the store will run. They know the customers the best.

"Commission Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Working environment, Commission, Company Values, many different possitions.

Cons

Low pay if you can't make the commission goal, they ask too much from sales associate even though we have support staff.

"Macys current tactic"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing worth noting, except the sales staff that I work with. Not the managers.

Cons

Macys is eliminating positions throughout their locations, without offering placement elsewhere, within the company. No advanced warning given. You are on your own.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees

9. "DVC Sales Associate at Fashion Valley Mall"

Former Employee - Draw Vs Commission Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Draw Vs Commission Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Busy During Holidays
    -Can make good money off commissioned sales
    -Very Flexible Dress Code(But Having a Professional Look Has A Very Positive Impact On Your Sales; You Should Wear a Tie)
    -Points System for Late Clockings and Calling Out(Can earn points every 2 weeks for perfect attendance)
    -Insite is very good(online management system for scheduling and time off)
    -20% Discount and Bonus Days where discount increases to 40%( 20% works at Bloomingdales and Macy's subsidiaries

Cons

-Management and Policies can be disorganized
    -Employee opinions and input are not taken seriously ( broken fixtures, lights, and equipment stay broken for extended periods of time)
    -Management will call you to work on your Unavailable Days
    -Pressure to Add customers to "My Client" (Get their credit card info, phone number, and address. Call them or text them on upcoming sales and promotions.)

Advice to Management

Take time to understand the sales associates' point of view.

10. "Bottom of the Department Store Chain"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-One star for friendly supervisors and one star for friendly colleagues.
    -20 percent discount/Many opportunities to earn Macy's money to buy things on top of the discount.

Cons

It's not a mystery that Macy's stores are shutting down one after the other. Macy's is by far the cheapest department store out there with the worst upkeep in the retail world. The draw commission is basically designed for you to make the least amount of money possible despite your sales. In other words, if customers aren't walking through the door, then you're actually paying Macy's Inc. to work. The merchandise teams only focus on small tasks until things are almost falling apart and the management gets on their case about getting real jobs done. So, that leaves sales associates doing a lot of work when they should be selling, hence why you will pay Macy's to work. Many parts of the store are filthy. Going to Dillard's, Nordstrom, and Nieman Marcus, I was in tears of how beautiful of condition the stores were in compared to Macy's. I was actually ashamed to work there. The computer systems are often down, and the store even went a whole day without air conditioning once.

The whole store is also workman's compensation waiting to happen. I was nearly crushed several times by things falling and slamming to the ground right next to me-- where the merchandise team is sloppy and leaves things everywhere, causing a very dangerous work environment.

You can work your butt off, and you won't be recognized. All they care about is you convincing customers to sign up for credit cards so that they can buy merchandise that they can't afford. If you do beat your record of credit card applications one day, then will come by, give you a, "hey good job" and tell you to get twice as much tomorrow.

Go to any other department store if you want to get into retail. Macy's is doomed to fail as a chain, and stores are closing down like dominoes fall.

Advice to Management

Start working on your resumés, because Macy's will cease to exist in 10 years.