Macy's Copywriter Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 868 reviews)

"What I think"

Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

Pros

People here are beyond awesome. Absolute pleasure to work with anyone on the creative team here. Would recommend to anyone.

Cons

they don't always give you products you are familiar with. Still, a great company to write copy for.

Advice to Management

Work on corporate structure a little more and notify of plans. People have no idea what goes on some times.

"Highly political, dying a slow and steady death"

Former Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The name is well-known
    - Fantastic work-life balance
    - The pay is horrible, so they compensate with a bunch of days off

Cons

I spent years working in the creative department, if you can call writing "Buy 1, Get 1" and designers manipulating cookie-cutter layouts "creative". It was great for a while. The creative department was filled with really nice people. After the first round of layoffs, people were left constantly looking over their shoulders, worried that they'd be next.

After the next round it became incredibly political. The creative department turned into Mean Girls, determined to force out any male or person over 40. Directors would push their under-qualified best friends into management roles. As a result, managers don't know how to manage and are unable to teach.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at the teams and performance. Evaluate management not by who you'd like to hang with on a Friday night, but who can TEACH and coach employees.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount, good name recongition

Cons

low pay, company continues to decline

"Decent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Copywriter, Copywriter, Copy Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Copywriter, Copywriter, Copy Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Very smart creative team. Some ability to move up if you wait it out and work very, very hard...or wait until someone leaves.

Cons

They switched health insurance and it's terrible. High monthly payments still and extremely high deductibles lead to high doctor bills unless you're ONLY going for a wellness visit. Good luck if you actually get sick. Compensation is on the low end for creative copywriters.

Advice to Management

The recent restructure combined the print and digital teams into one, which makes solid business sense on one hand. On the other hand, upper management decided that digital should report to print instead of the other way around, which I think was a very big mistake considering digital is driving business currently. It seems that print should be taking notes from digital and not the other way around. Also, there is still this constant worry about how stores are performing. On digital marketing assets, we're forced to direct people to stores and that always seems to be the primary focus. Shouldn't the focus be on how to stay ahead of the trends and improve digital, seeing as that's what's working?

"Copywriter"

Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company, job stability...employee discount.

Cons

Poor management, low morale, can be so big that sometimes other departments don't know what's going on, lots of processes to go through to get one job done. No holiday bonus.

"No Christmas bonuses, horrible in-fighting, stay away"

Former Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. There is nothing good about working here. I would rather eat from a garbage can outside Macy's than work here again.

Cons

How can Macy's not give a Christmas bonus? Did they even see "Miracle on 34th Street"? How about a $25 gift certificate to...oh...Macy's? Not even that. How disgusting. The in-house advertising agency, Advertex Communications, is full of crazy narcissists who will just steal all of your ideas as their own. Oh, and they told us that we had to shop at Macy's during our lunch hours. When I didn't do that, they confronted me about it. They actually watched to see if I had Macy's bags on my way to my desk from lunch! And they reprimanded me for smiling when I left the office at the end of the day. I am not joking. They said that I looked too happy to be leaving the office. What.

Advice to Management

Gut your ridiculous management staff in the advertising department.

7. "Used to be a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good benefits and work environment. Opportunities to advance for hard workers. Professional environment without being sterile.

Cons

Reactionary culture with endless changes and too many fingers in the pie. Weak creative management. The best people were burdened with the majority of the workload while the rest of the staff sat on their asses...for years.

Advice to Management

A reactionary approach to leading the company is a failing strategy. Carefully form a way to forge ahead and hold fast. Scheduled reevaluation is necessary, but don't run the business like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.