Macy's Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 335 reviews)

• I didn't feel morally right trying to convince people to open up credit cards when I could tell that it wasn't a good decision for them (in 802 reviews)

1. "Full time employee"

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Great discount 20% plus coupons and extra discount incentives great support from Management.
    Family atmosphere and supports charitable community fund raising

Cons

Medical benefits, high credit card interest rate, long hours, open early and late during holidays
    Open on holidays,

Advice to Management

Keep supporting staff and encouraging good performance, stay positive about current business trends

"Not what it used to be."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Some of the seasoned staff are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Being one of the original American department stores and an icon for over a century, Macy's used to be a company to be proud of. This is no longer the case. There is no room for advancement as the company has begun to cut management positions through competitive reviews rather than attrition. Staffing is down to one person opening and one person closing most departments. Customers are very frustrated at the state of the stores as they are in ruin due to having next to no help, and employees are forced to listen to this constantly while themselves being worried about whether they will get their lunch break.

The company's recruitment program is a joke. Applicant screening is non-existent as the qualifying survey was eliminated to bring in more applicants, resulting in a torrent of applicants that is very difficult to manage. This leads to an already-overworked management team ending up hiring whoever walks in the door as they do -not- have time to dedicate to a genuine and fair interview. These people often call out from 30-70% of their shifts and are turned over within weeks to months of hire.

Expectations are too high for too little compensation. Workload is absolutely unbalanced. Policy is selectively enforced at a level uncommon in this industry, and this leads to people losing their jobs for mundane reasons. Associates are expected to handle customers, returns, complaints, finding merchandise to ship to customers, and keep a department clean, by themselves, and with no guarantee that they will get a break.

Communication among the various levels of staff is nearly non-existent. The best example of this is interviews being scheduled during extremely busy sale days rather than allowing time for the management to support their teams.

Macy's has far too many initiatives and is trying too hard to compete in the wrong way, leading to the sacrifice of something that by far has made them a successful company - their heritage. Future plans are only going to exacerbate this to JCP/Sears proportions. If the company were smart they would simply cut the underperforming stores and focus on going back to basics rather than trying to become something it is not.

I was an executive for this company for over five years, and although I cannot give details, I can assure you based on what I know that should you choose to work for this company, you had best plan to find a new job within 3 years.

3. "specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Insurance, full time, customer contact

Cons

Store office / front desk unprofessional, can't reach executive team, high turn over , out of the country order department, new holiday staff not trained Regional managers out of touch with store. Executive ( corp) wages / bonus to high) resources should be push to store level to hire professionals.. not just hourly staff, you get what you pay for.. ( high turn over) need a career path for professionals ( store) need opportunties

Advice to Management

Re- organize hire professionals - pay he professionals and. Cut upper management ( top heavy with salaries and give the store personal the resources$. Hire an operator to answer the office executive phone.. customers want aa life person to talk to ( in US)

4. "Sales associate/ specialist"

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Nice work environment, lot of macys money which can be used just like cash if you work hard enough.

Cons

Not valued enough. Lot of responsibility and expectations and not enough pay for a sales associate title.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and promote hard working and extremely educated workers.

5. "Macys Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

I like working for Macys because it is a great company to work for. All departments show excellent team effort.

Cons

I feel that I have nothing that I dislike about working at Macys. my experience working with them has be good.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management

"Magic of Macy's"

Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great American Retailer. Quality and Value. Employee Discount. Training. Flexible Scheduling.

Cons

Normal retail hours. Working some nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Continue to support programs such as nineteenthamendment.com, that promote U.S. Made apparel and accessories.

7. "Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Great working with co-workers and customers.

Cons

Trying to keep the store clean and still help customers.

8. "former emplyee"

Former Employee - Luggage Specialist/Gift Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Luggage Specialist/Gift Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

very good company to work for.

Cons

not good with hours or pay

9. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

none that I can think of

10. "Commission not all its cut out to be"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, was able to work around classes, became very close with my colleagues, other then that not much else positive to say

Cons

Having to work during holidays. black Friday especially, management puts overwhelming pressure on sales associates, commission rates are low and come with strings attached, even if you are just on commission you still have to do non-sales related work. Which is annoying because it is free labor.

Advice to Management

Adjust the commission policies in order to give at least a base hourly minimum for sales associates. Being more approachable to sales associates, seem to have a mightier then thou attitude

Showing 18 of 13,788 reviews