Macy's Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merchandising"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

CoWorkers are friendly

Cons

Over worked with minimum wage pay

2. "Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

associate discount, friendly coworkers interaction with clients

Cons

management at this location, outlook for brick and mortar stores makes business slow

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The pros to working at Macy's it was a Good working environment.

Cons

There were no cons to working at Macy's.

4. "Returning Employee and A lot has Changed"

Current Employee - Backstage Team Member in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Backstage Team Member in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the benefit of getting paid weekly instead of bi-weekly, it saves me financially.

Cons

Having to have a Macys Credit card just to get the employee discount knowing I don't have good credit.

Advice to Management

Find another method of giving your employees the employee discount without a credit card or pre-paid card.

5. "Cosmatics Counter Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good customers, nothing else I remember

Cons

Bad management, discrimination against success people, bad pay

Advice to Management

treat your good people well and don't let them look for another job

6. "It was great at first!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harper Woods, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harper Woods, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building relationships with co workers, and the work and life balance. You get a discount and can earn macys money!

Cons

Your hard work goes unnoticed, they will use that to their advantage by giving you multiple titles without the pay, I worked there for 3 years and towards the end I really got fed up with being turned down from positions that they knew I was capable of doing! They will also make you believe you're good enough for positions but will outsource them! Oh and the pay sucks! Unless you have been their for 30+ years! Stay away unless you're desperate! Oh and it is all about numbers with them, thats how you get raises! Sales goals, credit goals is all they are concerned with!

Advice to Management

Communication is key! Half of them don't know how to speak to you like you are someone! They will treat you as if you are beneath them! They play favoritism towards certain employees, All they care about is a paycheck!

7. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time here the people were nice management overall was nice. The benefits of paid time off was better than most retailers today you earn time off as you go and the point system works if you are a person that shows up for work on time and don't call out.

Cons

New hires at Christmas should be only for recovery and not register trained. To many issues with new hire Christmas associates some don't like to be given direction from seasoned employees or told what they are doing wrong by management I witnessed a lot in my years here with seasonals mouthing back at managers who were trying to get them to do the job correctly if you have them for the floor and they do a great job at cleaning and keeping areas neat then invest in training it will save money and be less stressful to seasoned employees.

Advice to Management

Be more readily available when you call with a problem sometimes the customer is yelling and screaming at you and they want to see a manager if you can't comply call another manager but don't have employees stand and take the heat from customers it does not bode well with your associates whom are just doing their jobs sometimes it is so stressful that you do lose your composure with people. Don't berate employees in front of customers and fellow associates this I have seen done and very unprofessional and when customers see this they make comments.

8. "Great Experience Very Professional"

Former Employee - Sws Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sws Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Hands on Great Interview as well this company is getting a new Brand awareness in a Store . They love to promote from within as well

Cons

The Discount only 20% could be better I guess but other than that and asking every customer to open up a charge would be great

Advice to Management

Stay sharpe continue to listen to the feed back of your Team members

9. "Too many cons"

Current Employee - Flex Sales Associate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Flex Sales Associate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to move around every department where needed, so you basically know almost everyone that works there.

Cons

Cearly told my manager the hours I was not available to work, but I was scheduled at times I could not make it to work. To me they did`nt care that I had school.
    Im supposed pick the available days and hours I want to work. I would have a 20hr work week and they would still schedule me to work on a day and time I didnt pick. Some days I would be unaware of it and didnt know until I got a phone call asking why am I not at work.

Advice to Management

Hire more people if you clearly need them, create a new return policy asap, and a flex sales associate workers should be paid $10/hr

10. "Great Job besides credit"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, great discount. I've been with Macy's since 2013 and everytime I leave I realize you won't find another job that fits your schedule like Macy's. Plus the Macy's I work for is amazing!

Cons

Your suppose to get at least 2-4 credits a day & Plenti Sign ups. It's really difficult when everyone already has one or they don't want to mess up their credit (understandable). Managers will be down your throats to make sure you get credit. You can even get terminated if you don't make enough credit. Also the point system sucks for attendance. If you have an family emergency or anything and call off oh well 2 points gone, not to mention you only start with 3. But you do get 0.5 if you have perfect attendance for 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

Please understand credit is difficult. Listen to your associates more and maybe you'll understand what's going on and have more hours to give to associates.

Showing 96 of 14,054 reviews