Macy's Reviews in Everett, WA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merchandising Team"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Everett, WA

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

The team dynamic is awesome! As you learn the layout of the store, the shift leads will assign tasks, but will also provide empowerment to take on tasks that haven't been completed.

Cons

The heavy lifting, lol. However, it does provide a great workout!

2. "Sales Associate/ Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA

Pros

Working as normal just never listen to new people only support permanent employees event they are wrong or right don't care

Cons

1- Employees culture at there love to be acting as group devide that's the main point to make management goes down day by day.
    2- Pick up shift time clearly but when we go to work they push us from the shift department to other departments by themselves without asking

Advice to Management

Better stop them from sharing group to avoid from argument by using the unique gold target instead

3. "Not Bad - High Paced"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Everett, WA

Pros

Good XP for customer service, answering phones and dealing with jerks. Half of management is absolutely wonderful. It's a fun fast-paced job that will keep you busy. You pick up shifts via the computer, which is nice, and you can trade for longer or different shifts with other coworkers.

Cons

Too much pressure to advertise terrible credit cards. We get yelled at if we don't dress all in black, especially our shoes - why this matters, I don't know.

Advice to Management

Don't act like we don't matter or that we're stupid.

"Completely awful"

Former Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in Everett, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Seriously. Working here was the worst.

Cons

You only get a discount if you open a Macy's credit card. Management is so, so rude! I felt so under trained for my job. I literally went through ZERO training for my actual job position. They were just so callus.

Advice to Management

Step up your game. Value your employees. And TRAIN them!

"The magic of macy's is not what it looks like."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, not that it could be called that.
    You get a lunch break.
    Some coworkers are nice..

Cons

Management team is uptight, and will complain when asked to do their job.
    They might as well let customers come in and take what they want for free, because asking a manager can get you just about anything except real help.

Advice to Management

Replace all management you have now with management who are better in every single way.

"Good for a part-time summer job, but would not want full time"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount (20%) on items is nice and they're good about working with your schedule if you're part-time. I had another job at the time, so they delivered on their promise of only scheduling me for 19 hours each week and only 4 days a week. I liked working in the quiet departments -- women's dresses, men's collections (i.e., the expensive stuff), home furnishings -- because the shoppers were usually more polite.

Cons

Most of the sales associates were full-time and, when it would come up in conversation that I was only part-time/summer, they seemed a bit dismissive. I got the vibe from some of them that it was because I wasn't treating the job like a career -- just a summer job until I went back to college.

When working in a department one day, the other two sales associates were talking about their schedules/lunch breaks. One asked me if I was working an 8-hour shift and, when I said I only had a 4-hour shift that day, she asked in an irritated voice, "Well, can you stay for 8 hours?" Since she had no control over my schedule (and I could only work a certain number of hours), it seemed presumptuous of her to assume that she could just ask me to stay because of her and the other associate's schedules. Later, I heard her complaining to another associate, "Well, *she* [me] is leaving at three" -- as if I couldn't hear her.

Macy's also doesn't assign you to a department when you're new -- you float from department to department where they need coverage. This seems like somewhat of a backward strategy, since you don't have a chance to get comfortable with everything before you get moved to another department. The sale days are also crazy and really tough if you're brand-new.

I worked the kids' department summer sale on my third day and it was insane with all the discounts to plug in and multiple codes to scan for every item. I got a nice comment card from a customer, but I still shudder just thinking about it.

Advice to Management

Give employees who haven't done retail basic tips like, "Regularly check fitting rooms for clothes that need to be rehung." I'd never worked retail (which they knew based on my résumé), but they never went over procedures like that. I also didn't know that the women's dress department sales associate unlocks the front doors of the store in the morning, since no one ever told me. They finally told me when we opened for business -- someone came running over and said I had to unlock the doors. Basically, there's a lack of communication -- at least in this store -- if you're not a full-time employee on the inside track.

Showing 6 of 14,029 reviews