Macy's Reviews in Flushing, NY | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

Pros

friendly people. fun place to work at. very helpful coworkers. good food places nearby. work wasn't stressful. near the train.

Cons

over crowded with customers. management could be better. salary was low. a bit stressful around christmas. lots of pressure sometimes.

2. "Shadiest Place I've Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Flushing, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to my house so commute was doable

Cons

Management was rude and disrespectful
    Offered no areas for growth and the store itself was an eyesore

Advice to Management

Close this store, please.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Difficult to find part time job

Cons

Good benefit and good commission

4. "Not the best job but it pays"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are nice and they've got your back against managers when managers are being unreasonable. Pretty decent pay and associate discounts (regular 20% off everything) + MM that you can earn when you open Macy accounts.

Cons

HR doesn't have the nicest people working there especially when you're trying to get PTO/sick days used on days you can't make it into work. Most of the managers are nice and understanding but in personal experiences recently the current manager for my department takes advantage of us sales associates and doesn't take her job very seriously.

Advice to Management

Please get your priorities straight. Not all sales associates are the bad guys, especially people who are working part-time, we're working part time and our lives aren't revolved around our PART-TIME job. & PLEASE look into the managers that you are hiring.

5. "Pay could be better"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let's you create own schedule very understanding when it comes to school lots of places to grow in the company

Cons

Not good pay and not enough hours to many part time not enough full-time

Advice to Management

The manager I had was amazing she took the time to teach instead of criticize Macys,need more managers like her

6. "Decent Company if you want to have some spare income."

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They have a "points" system for attendance in which they give you credits to use in case your late or absent. Which is amazing and I really respect the company for coming up with that. For example they give you 1/2 credit if you come on time for 2 weeks. I've heard that people who've worked for the company for a while have like- 60 points. You can use them if you're 10 mins late or if there's an emergency and don't have enough time to call out. A pretty sweet deal for a college student like me who uh, sometimes oversleeps and suddenly the bus is going slower then a new driver.
    - You can work your way up. But you need to know the right people (also a con- I'll bring that up later)
    - Discount is only 20% off but man those One day sales?? that 50% off and then you can use coupons??! My god if only they paid me enough to afford it I would be using the discount all the time.

Cons

- Inexperienced management who worked their way up through knowing the right people. Not in anyway trained right. There's a lot of slimey people who kinda stick to macy's because its pretty hard to get fired there unless you do something horrible.

- Some people who work there have worked there for years and are now bitter they "wasted their lives there" and make it a living hell for new workers- just don't let them get to you because management will not help you. The reasons? "Seniority" and "They know what their doing"- yeah because they bullied everyone else into leaving of course they'll know what to do.

- Hours: My god one week you'll get 50 hours, getting pushing into doing all the work in a small team. Macy's really tries to squeeze all they can from you. Then the next week, guess what? No hours for you- your manager overspent the hours they gave him. RIP to that new pair of shoes you wanted. Oh and maybe bills.

- Clientele. Okay its Macy's. One day you'll get some snobby customer asking for the lastest Micheal Kors bag and the next you have some pushy customer asking for you to check in the back for some shirt that has been sold out. It's retail. Of course people are gonna be treating you like a servant. They think you live in there like kids who think adults have always been adults. But hey! wait!!! show your "Macy's Magic!" and do what they ask. Just be blessed you don't have to live with these people- unless you are then damn.

Security- These people have it made man. I am solely putting this here because I too, want to get paid for sitting in a chair- making assumptions about customers who just want to get something, screaming at employees who have been working there for months asking for an ID, asking to check your bag and they just literally look at it. No. They don't open it up and check. No way. Too much work. Just lemme see your bag. Wow. Okay leave my sight.

Advice to Management

You just need to get RID of some people. You have what it takes to beat other companies but with the cancers in the company your just going to sink. You also need to interview people right. I mean why would you hire some people. That is why you guys have problems. You need to hire people who embody the morals and goals of your company. Not because they look good- anyone can look good. But to be able to make a person want to come back to your store. That takes honest kindness.

7. "Salesman is Women Shoe's department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY

Pros

It was easy to learn the techniques and skills as how to sell the shoes or organize the inventory.
    It's a good entry level job.

Cons

I worked in Flushing, NY. You need to know other languages (specially Chinese) to make sales.
    You have to work more that for what you get paid.

"EDP"

Former Employee - EDP in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - EDP in Flushing, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience, especially for recent college graduates. Unique opportunity to get real world management experience.

Cons

Retail hours, shifts vary between 9am - 6pm, or 1pm - 10/11pm (depending how long store closing takes), work schedule involves weekends and holidays

9. "Low Pay, Nice Staff"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave me an opportunity to be on my own and improve my customer service skills. There were several customers that would come in to look for me. It was nice.

Cons

Low wage. Same music played on a loop. Mainly servicing people who don't have much class-but perhaps things are getting better since the community has been improving.

Advice to Management

Fire the bad sales reps or at least warn them for bad attitude-even if they have seniority. It's those who don't care to improve that bring the company down.

10. "Fun, terribly hours, mediocre pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting a diverse range of people, but you have to make the work fun out of terrible times/hours.

Cons

Terrible hours. Competitive. Seniorism. Mediocre pay.

Showing 20 of 14,516 reviews