Macy's Reviews in Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 868 reviews)

1. "It is what you make it!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Macy's has many opportunities for anyone who wants to work hard in customer service. As a sales associate I love who I work with and what I do. The money is not great but with commission and you have to really sell to make commission, its not bad! If you do your job you are left alone. Don't make waves!

Cons

Standing all day. Restrooms are usually dirty, lunch room is depressing.

Advice to Management

Stores are old and dirty.

2. "sales mng"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

team player, everyone cares for each other

Cons

too many sales people on the floor

Advice to Management

they do a great job

3. "great place to work during college"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

commissions added to check for big purchase items working in big ticket departments like housewares, sometimes youll get a shark that buys the store basically and you can relax for the rest if the day if not the entire week knowing you made some money.

Cons

you had to make their money for the day (goals, quaotas) and then eveything after that you keep a percentage of.

4. "Macy's Red Star"

Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. It works with my school schedule since I have school in the daytime and come home at night.

Cons

Sometimes the customer's can get a little cranky but working at Macy's tries to eliminate the problem but can't.

Advice to Management

Better customer service stations and people willing to help customers at all costs.

5. "Room for Improvement"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, friendly staff, hours were flexible, weekends off with some exceptions

Cons

Occasionally some extremely long hours. Some departments do not work well with others. Pay was not sufficient for duties and tasks asked and required. Terrible raise of .05 after 1 year of putting in nearly 50-60 hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

Pay staff properly. Do not expect employee loyalty when you do not give enough to expect getting back. Do not ask employees to stay and offer a raise when previous raise was only .05. Give raises according to performance and not based off companywide/storewide average.

6. "Bad Management Change"

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to block out days you can't work. If you have classes on a Monday and Wednesday morning you can block the schedule from appointing you those times.

Cons

Low pay; draw! Management's push for credit card opening. Fulfillment pulling on a time to make sales. Unrealistic goals. Low commission %.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the higher management in place in that store now. The new store manager has ruined the store feel. She has driven most the best out. Look at the turnover. Treat your associates as humans. Do the right thing by humans. When the AC is out close the store!

7. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement and flexible schedules for students. A good place to work for a positive reinforcement in motivate employees to successful sales.

Cons

Outdated cash registers slows down production and keeps lines too long that frustrates customers and employees.

Advice to Management

Technology needs to be updated in all stores and commission needs to be discontinued to allow sales associate to give better customer service without associate competition to make sales quotas.

8. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts and ways to earn Macy's money

Cons

the path to growth and opportunity is being a sales manager first.

9. "Company in transition"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of ways to grow and better yourself. Opportunities to move around and/or get promoted.

Cons

They demand their employees "not just work a register", but do far more to serve the customer and keep their metrics up... But they pay less than most "standard register worker jobs". It's insulting to the workers, and their turnover is awful.

Advice to Management

Pay a competitive wage.

"I felt Overworked and Underpaid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too sure ....I would have said the staff discount but even with the discount it was sometimes not affordable to shop

Cons

The draw vs commission pay structure. They promoted this as an incentive to have employees strive to exceed target but I felt the calculation was seriously flawed and it sometimes resulted in you "owing" the company even after you have worked your shift and did what was required. I felt very strongly that this was borderline modern day slavery. Also I felt like their generous returns policy penalized the associates. Why should my final salary be affected when we give the impression to the consumer that it is OK to wear/damage the item and still get a full refund at my expense...Macy should find ways to absorb this cost and not take for employees who already earn little or nothing. I also found that this incentive structure created a very hostile environment among colleagues and when I first started I felt bullied by senior associates. I reported this to management and it was addressed but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Advice to Management

Pay people for their work. I believe if I work honestly for 8 hours I should be paid at least the minimum wage or the wage agreed. I should not end up owing you any money. Every week it was very distressing trying to figure out what I earned. Also, regardless if I have worked in retail or not prior to starting the job, it is still important to have a step in your on boarding process that involves taking new associates around and given an introduction to the way things are done in the department or store. etraining alone is not sufficient

Showing 28 of 15,794 reviews