Macy's Furniture Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Furniture sales"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Alton, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller store, family style atmosphere, able to switch shifts with other associates, ability to request at least 3 days off a month

Cons

Worked every weekend, high turnaround, never enough associates, management was always trying to catch you doing something wrong instead of letting you know how well you were doing in certain areas.

2. "If you can get through the craziness of retail, Macy's isn't so bad."

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of Macy's is sincere. It's a company you can be proud to work for. There are many opportunities for organizational participation within the community which is GREAT if thats important to you. Work/life balance is a bit more manageable than other retail companies. Because Macy's is such a large company there is more opportunities to change departments and find something that interests you.

Cons

Because of corporate stress, management and the employees are lost in the system. Although this varies on store, you definitely feel like a number to management. Their personal goal system causes contention between employees and creates a negative vibe on the floor front. Management, again this depends on which department you're in, is quick to turn their eye when faced with uncomfortable employee issues.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals for employees. Pay attention to what is going on and deal with employee issues fairly. If an employee isn't following company policy they need to be dealt with accordingly. Not addressing the issue only creates unmanageable contention between employees and chances are you will lose the better of the bunch.

3. "Easy customer service oriented job"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are nice and friendly. If you like working with customers this is a good job. The hours are not too bad until the holidays come. Weekly pay checks are a plus & good core culture & values.

Cons

Holiday Hours, but that's just retail in general. The company was a lot less structured then I would've imagined for being around for so long. They could improve the training structure, management selection and training, fair pay, but now a days cost of living is going up.

Advice to Management

Every Red Badge should rotate through the departments to know the basics of every area. Especially Furniture. I felt like every manager steered away. It was not a difficult task. It was very easy, you just needed to learn the process.

4. "Sales- Commission"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ummm. 20% discount on most items. No discount on designer goods except during promotion periods. (I guess that qualifies as a con)

Cons

Grueling hours. Work every weekend and every holiday. Always pushing for more, more, more sales, but traffic has gone down due to big push in advertising for on-line sales. Customers come in to try out furniture they have already purchased online. My take home pay has done nothing but go down every year. Draw against commission. Hard to live off of zero paychecks some weeks.

Advice to Management

More advertising! Need to get clients back into stores!

5. "Furniture Sales associate"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

No overtime. Flexible work schedule

Cons

100% commission, very competitive, income varies week to week

"Going The Wrong Way!"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate

Pros

Stable company and work environment, regular work schedule, average to decent insurance benefits, Company 401K, vacation and modest employee discount. As a long term employee I most value my 'paid time off' (4 weeks) although my compensation for this and ALL of the other forementioned benefits continue to decline.

Cons

This was once a very good and rewarding position that has turned into a very unstimulating, unproductive, unrewarding and totally frustrating position. I now feel forced to leave the Company as there is vitrually little opportunity to make a decent living. As a Furniture Sales Associate, I am compensated on the volume of sales that I produce. Unfortunately (for me), Macy's seems to be less focused on creating sales volume and has put far more emphasis and increasing the profit of each sale. The emphasis now is completely on selling warranties, opening new credit accounts and obtaining "outstanding" customer response letters. This does not benefit the Sales Associate or the customer... it becomes very time consuming and it's basically a rip-off! Also, we are completely overstaffed with Sales Associates for the volume of business that we do. We could literally cut our staff in half and still be overstaffed! Consequently, it's extremely hard to attain any sales rythym or 'mojo'. You will often actually get to a point where you don't even feel like helping a customer once you get one! I would hate to be a customer shopping in our store... customers get 'badgered' relentlessly by Sales Asscoiates who are simply trying to make a living. It's ridiculous!!! Also,SalesAssociates are CONSTANTLY arguing and fighting over customers, "ups", "be-backs" as well as stacking, stealing and cheating! What's more... management seems to foster and encourage this type of environment as they seem to believe that it makes the staff work harder and be more competitive. What a mess! Briefly, I must also mention that management basically treats their Sales Associates like children... it's like Kindergarten! I won't go int details but OMG!

Advice to Management

Please take note that your sales staff needs to be PRODUCTIVE to be happy in their work. In national studies of the workplace it is found that the biggest cause for woker disatisfaction is BOREDOM. Well, unfortunately, Furniture Sales Associates are simply saturated in BOREDOM at Macy's and have very limited opportunities to be successful and productive. Also, your sales staff is the Company's direct contact to the customer base... if your staff is unhappy (which they are), it will be reflect in in your business results!