Macy's Reviews in Greensboro, NC | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training was easy, and the managers were pretty nice. The discount is "okay," and if you've never had a job before, this is the perfect experience to learn how to work with other people.

Cons

Be aware when being hired as part time... There are different part time positions, and my position was only guaranteed 3-8 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Give out more hours

"Amazing Job"

Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most managers and co-workers are super friendly and helpful. Always answered any questions I had. Love the team mentality throughout the store.

Cons

Its Macys... The customers are going to be those with money. Especially in the fine jewelry. So you will get some rude and degrading comments every now and then, but the ratio of bad to good is 1:20.

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - North Carolina in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - North Carolina in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule
    Great staff and employees

Cons

low pay
    not many cons
    ok to start out

4. "Seasonal mess"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Discount, hiring manager was nice, I like the values of the co.pany itself

Cons

I was hired on as a seasonal representative. There were two jobs offfered to me,fragrance or returns. I was told they both had the same amount of hours available. After going through two days of computer training I was taken to the floor to shadow someone and learn the job. The girl I shadowed basically did nothing and then left me to take a break. Didn't teven tell me she was leaving. 40 mins is all they give you ,I spent the remaining twenty mins with another girl who was very helpful. I found out she was a new hire as well. She had just done the 40 mins on the floor the previous day. After I returned upstairs I was told I had to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday. The shifts were terrible. Basically I would only have four hours between the shifts I for stuck with. Once I get back to the last computer phase two girls come in complaining. It seems they have made it to the end of the training phase and see there are no hours available the whole rest of the month. I checked this myself and yes ...no available hours. I stayed on to see if this would change throughout the month and it didn't. So they did a mass hire for no reason. I ended up quitting. I never worked a shift. Why not just hire two new employees on a full time status instead of 30 and give them 6 hours a month?

Advice to Management

Don't mass hire. Perhaps hire three new employees around the holiday and give them real hours. Employees should know up front that they won't be getting many hours. It wasn't even part time. We were literally only given 6 hours the whole month. It was a waste of company money to train us....esp considering a few quit right after training.

5. "Good While It Lasted"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The weekly pay, discounts on their goods and ability to easily advertise your shifts to others and pick up additional shifts provides flexibility.

Cons

They use a point system for attendance. Call off a week day lose a point, a weekend lose 2 and the worst part is you can only earn one point a month if you never call out. Very difficult to balance as a full time student when they told me they would help accommodate. Managers think they are hot stuff and I often felt like I was being talked down to as an associate, even though it was a part time job while I went full time in college.

Advice to Management

Find a way to work with your associates, the point system is cold and unfeeling. I had to go to the hospital for my appendix and lost my job because I was on my last point.

6. "Poor sales clerk"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Whitsett, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Whitsett, NC

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

We were paid weekly and we received incentives for processing credit applications.

Cons

Of course the pay was lousy as a sales clerk and it was nearly impossible to meet the set sales goal on slow nights. There was not much room for career advancement.

7. "manager"

Former Employee - ESTEE LAUDER - CLINIQUE BUSINESS MANAGER in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - ESTEE LAUDER - CLINIQUE BUSINESS MANAGER in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

leaning retail and customer service

Cons

very hard to be promenaded

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, flexible hours

Cons

Pressure to get customer to open Macy's credit card accounts.

"Recovery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Recognize your outstanding work
    Very understanding of school commitments
    Management display good leadership skills

Cons

The automatic scheduling system sometimes scheduled times when not available.

10. "It is a great place to work."

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have the passion for sales and you like to interact with new people,this is a good job for you.

Cons

The pay rate is not as great especially for seasonal and temporary workers but there are side benefits and bonuses that make up for this.

Showing 13 of 17,261 reviews