Macy's Reviews in Hartford, CT | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Impulse beauty"

Current Employee - Impulse Beauty in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Impulse Beauty in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount fun environment

Cons

Competitive in nature. Must meet goals.

2. "Macy's"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary ,benefits and employee discount

Cons

Not enough staff to always be able help customers and maintain the floor standards,

Advice to Management

Need to put more staffing into the stores.

3. "Great people to work with. Poor pay for job demands. Limited advancement opportunities. Company usually hires outside."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Agent in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Agent in Hartford, CT

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

pay, career advancement; respect for employees is minimal in terms of this. Severe under staffing problem. Company does not check background or resume 99% of the time.

Advice to Management

If management was to actually do what they say they will do, Macy's would be a better place to work. Also the pay increases per year should be higher, pay increase maximum per year without HR becoming involved is only $0.35/hr.

"Sales Manager At Macys"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career Growth if you work hard and are willing to work 50-55 hours each week.

Cons

Can be a tough place to work depending on your store manager. They expect a lot and have high expectations of SM's.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic with your expectations and timeframes.

5. "Leading Department store keeping up with technology and good people."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interacting with customers and coworkers, some wonderful skill and talent which is ever changing. A company that allows other family members to also work for them.

Cons

Low pay, not so liberal time off policies near holiday periods, Wanting us to work as a team yet being set up with personal daily goals so in the end, it in more cases than not, we end up focused on that and ourselves alone and hoping we reach them. When mgrs. play favorites.

"Overall decent place to work. If upper management would stick to the "Integrity Always" it could be one of the best"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent schedule. Fair pay. Pretty good benefits and a lot of friendly people.

Cons

Poor appreciation. A huge lack of integrity from upper management.

Advice to Management

Less Micro managing. Leave the politics at the door.

"Store Management"

Former Employee - Store Management in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Management in Hartford, CT

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is highly innovative, has a remarkable ability to remain resilient to economic downturns. Omni channel business is maturing and ability to access inventory across the chain to fulfill customer requests at store level a huge sales driver. HR support was strong, great partnerships helped build an associate centrist culture. A great learning experience resulting in having a significant support staff at the district and regional levels.

Cons

Can be over managed at times. The My Macy's strategy that has district level merchants and support staff in place to drive localized assortments and presentations can at times stifle the decision making process and store level entrepreneurship.

Advice to Management

Keep tweaking the process, empower stores more in the decision making process through continued development.

"Over worked, under paid"

Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co workers And friendships

Cons

Lack of staff to provide service required

Advice to Management

Stop accounting to the share holders, the customer is whi makes you money

"Expectations are high...pay is minimum wage, regardless of your college degree"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-If you open Macy credit cards, you are rewarded with Macy Money coupons, which can be used to pay for up to half of a purchase. These rock.
    -You can certainly scope out all of the deals, since you are there every day.
    -I happen to be blessed with an exceptionally kind and helpful manager, but not everyone in other departments seems to be as happy with their managers.
    -You get a week of PTO each year.
    -Depending on your area, you may get to walk around and haul merchandise, which I believe is tantamount to a workout!
    -Some coworkers are lovely people who will be lifelong friends.
    -Though it is stressful, you punch out and you can leave the stress at work. You do not have any work responsibilities outside of the hours you work. As a former teacher, I find this immensely refreshing!

Cons

-You truly get paid NOTHING.
    -And yet...the expectations are SKY HIGH. Every day, you have a sales goal--possibly up to $6,000 a day--and if you do not make your goal, your scorecard is affected.
    -As a result of these sales goals, employees get stressed about ringing enough and just sit at the register, ringing, while other hard-working employees bail out the fitting room and straighten merchandise.
    -This scenario leads to tons of gossip and in-house catfights amongst coworkers.
    -You have to greet and assist literally every customer who walks into your area, sometimes with many customers at once. It's called MAGIC selling...Meet and make a connection, Ask questions, Give options, Inspire to sell more, Celebrate the sale! This brand of MAGIC selling is actually very taxing on the employee, who (did i mention?) is getting paid 8 dollars an hour...
    -The store manager patrols the store to ensure that every employee is making *magic* selling happen on the floor, and if you are not with a customer (say if you are putting away fitting room or straightening your selling floor) then you are berated for not connecting with customers.
    -The merchandiser patrols the selling floor, complaining about how messy it is, if you don't have time to straighten due to all this MAGIC selling you are working. My particular merchant is extraordinarily unkind and speaks to me in the most demeaning, condescending manner imaginable.
    -You are interacting with the public nonstop, and some customers are wonderful and some are heinous.
    -Security cameras are everywhere monitoring every little transaction to check and see if you scan a coupon for a customer who forgets theirs...and if you refuse to scan the Macy card coupon, the customer will inevitably complain of your inflexibility to a manager who will tell you to scan the coupon, anyway.
    -You will work weekends--actually, EVERY weekend. You will work late hours. You will work early hours. You will work overnight. Your hours will vary like crazy.

Advice to Management

Why don't you have sales goals for each department, rather than for individual employees? That way, employees can work together to divide the time spent putting away the fitting room and ringing sales. The culture is needlessly cutthroat when it could be collaborative. And your pay raises are offensively low...I get an almost perfect scorecard and am rewarded with a 10 cent raise? So I soar up to $8.10 an hour...what an incentive to work hard! If I wasn't a hard-worker by nature, I wouldn't do a blessed thing because it is so unacknowledged an unrewarded.

10. "new kid on the block"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have a really great boss and I get to do a lot of work alone

Cons

It doesn't pay very well

Advice to Management

Help people move up who deserve to

Showing 10 of 14,056 reviews