Macy's Reviews in Hyannis, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Poor Management / HR"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount
    Hardworking co-workers who, in spite of the store being poorly run, work together to provide a good experience for our customers.
    Health Benefits are okay.

Cons

Where to begin?! No communication among management team -- new practices and policies are rolled out and if you don't work on the day of the rollout, you aren't "trained". Not sure who does the scheduling, but some days we are overstaffed but more times than not, we are understaffed. On any given evening, there might be only 2 or 3 Sales Associates on the ENTIRE floor to serve customers and monitor fitting rooms. Shoplifting is constant because there is no one to watch out for it. Fitting rooms are a mess and yet signage asking customers to limit their items to a reasonable number is practically invisible. How can a "strong" store not have a process to ensure appropriate levels of staffing on any given day? What does HR do, besides sit in their office and stare at a computer screen? They seem to work for a different company; no shared purpose to improve customer satisfaction. HR operates in a silo and, God forbid, know so little about daily operations on the floor, that they can't or won't ever offer to pitch in -- even when help is desperately needed. New managers seem to be left on their own to figure out how things work -- Very frustrating to see things so badly managed when a few changes could make a big difference. Managers are stretched so thin, they don't seem to have time to be on the selling floor with their teams - so they can't see who is (and who is not) pulling their weight. Inconsistent work expectations depending on which department you work in -- in the clothing areas, we don't have the luxury of standing around chatting (like in other areas). We are expected to advise and assist customers, do Fulfillment, clean out fitting rooms, straighten out the product displays, etc. Hard work for a low wage. Raises are minimal.
    Also - the place should be vacuumed every day. It is not and it can get pretty disgusting! Unless we are expecting a "Corporate Visitor" nothing gets cleaned, dusted, or vacuumed on a regular basis.

"Underpaid and Understaffed"

Current Employee - Macy' S Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA
    Current Employee - Macy' S Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers and co-workers are hard working and fun people for the most part. Good discounts.

Cons

Want to know how Macy's can offer such incredibly low prices and deals?? Simple: They pay poorly and never have enough sales associates on the floor. Holiday crunch time is the worst -- 3 days before Christmas and we lose customers who are frustrated because there is not enough sales help on the floor. A customer said she can feel the stress when she walks into the store -- and "it never used to be like this". It is abundantly clear - Macy's doesn't give a blip about its employees -- we are simply cashiers who we rarely get our scheduled breaks, never have enough help on the floor, and are constantly apologizing to customers for the poor service. Not a satisfying environment to work in every day -- rarely get to feel like we are actually working 'the MAGIC". The only magic that's happening in our store is customers are disappearing when they see how long the lines are and what a mess the place is. Sales associates are "guilted" into working long hours so their co-workers won't be slammed by customers. Nice little system - I'm sure it works for "corporate".

Advice to Management

Get rid of the outsourced company that handles Macy's credit cards. They are incompetent, slow, and ineffective. Don't bother including the 20 minute breaks on our schedules -- we NEVER get to take them because we are so understaffed. Seeing the 20 minute breaks listed on our work schedules may look good from a management and HR perspective, but it is deceptive and misleading.

3. "Dave T"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Hyannis, MA

Pros

It was fun working with the customer's and most of my co-workers were nice.

Cons

Low pay, very few shifts in my department, and disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Pay the worker's a better wage.

4. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made all right money and good hours.

Cons

I won awards for being the top salesman.

Advice to Management

Need to pay more for work done right.

Showing 4 of 14,543 reviews