Macy's Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "indifferent"

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule and time off

Cons

lack of direction and clear communication

"Racist employees"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, the store is indoors

Cons

At the Kansas City Metro North store the human resource person and a male manager couldn't believe I a part time seasonal black female had a Macy's credit card. They both asked me twice. The fragrance and makeup counter was so hostile for me as well as the black customers.

Advice to Management

Try to do seminars for the employees on diversity and inclusion. It's the reason I quit, it was the most overtly racist place I had ever worked.

3. "Management"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's is a great place to work. Great pay, benefits and employee's are wonderful. Management under a lot of stress, but who isn't.. SM went MIA shortly after I was hired and all management had to step up. No problem, great way to learn strengths! New SM came in with a vengeance and none of us really had a chance.

Cons

Training and teamwork. Teamwork between managers is so important. We are there as a team to work together not against one another.

Advice to Management

Have a training program in place for managers and employee's. Most things you learn by experience beforehand but every company is different. We can learn from eachother if we work as a team.

4. "Job Review (Part Time)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Getting to meet new people, multitude of skills learned.

Cons

At my location, sales associates do it ALL and we don't get nearly enough recognition or pay.

Advice to Management

Hire more recovery personnel or fitting room attendants to relieve the burden of sales associates. We can't meet our sales goals or open new accounts when we have to clean the store because it's a mess and you're too cheap to get proper recovery employees.

5. "Great first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Really flexible schedule and great people

Cons

Training is basically being thrown on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

New employees should shadow more seasoned employees as part of the training before closing or being left to their own devices. This didn't happen too much but when it did it was quite stressful.

6. "Home Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Home Store Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Home Store Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was great flexibility offered. As a full time student the flex people on hand to take your shifts were very convenient.

Cons

Long hours during holiday seasons. Low pay. Close to no benefits offered. Management had favorites.

Advice to Management

Offer more benefits and better pay to dedicated employees. Shorter shifts during the holiday season so people can spend time with families.

"recovery"

Current Employee - Recovery in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Recovery in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned some good sales tactics and it was a great way to help other women feel good about themselves.

Cons

They made it hard to move up with in the company.

8. "Macy's Review"

Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, reasonable in regards to other obligations, rewarding benefits, and employee discounts are excellent!

Cons

Pay isn't that great; especially during holiday season, seasonal associates have a the option of making their schedule but it is very selective.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to complain about in regards to full time management; seasonal management needs to be chosen more wisely.

9. "Pretty good company for the most part"

Current Employee - Men's Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Men's Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20% Associate discount, flexible with your schedule for the most part, PTO after 6 months of working there even for part-timers, 3 days that you can schedule time off for per month, most procedures are pretty easy to get a handle on, most co-workers are really nice and everyone generally works together as a team, positions in Fine Jewelry, Shoes, and Cosmetics and Fragrances are all base plus commission pay

Cons

If you do not enjoy soliciting credit cards and other offers to customers, this may not be the job for you (although I will say it's better than flipping burgers at a fast food place) because there is a constant pressure from management to meet the goal of getting a customer to open a Macy's card. However, after a few weeks of training, you will become more comfortable asking customers if they would like to have a Macy's card; not to mention they will not deduct your pay if you do not meet your quota. Personally, I also do not like the fact that customers become frustrated with Macy's coupon system. Half the time as a sales associate, you have to inform the customer that a coupon is not applicable to certain brand names. There are times when the customer will understand this and let it go, however, most of the time, a customer will argue with you about how that policy doesn't make sense and management will tell you to just go in and manually change it. Also, if you are not disciplined enough, you may end up spending more or your entire paycheck on merchandise, to which you have to purchase with a Macy's credit card or prepaid card. Starting pay is another downfall, and raises are nothing to get overly excited about.

Advice to Management

For corporate, I would advise working something out with our vendors (Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Levis, etc.) if at all possible to allow the customers to have more opportunities for discounts on these items because as an associate whose been with the company for 3 years, I hear at least 3 customers complain within a 6 hour shift.

For store management, I would suggest you to not just hire someone because they are another "body". I feel that out of the 2 stores that I've worked at, there are a handful of associates there (especially during the holiday season) that have just been hired because they can adequately operate a register. I feel that these individuals should have been looked at more carefully and not hired just to fill in a position.

"Low Pay, Low Hours"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love customers and most of fellow employees.

Cons

Management is too worried about keeping their job. Constantly asking you to sell for credit cards. Management is not honest with employees. Internal management won't let current employees be promoted.
    Can be very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to feedback. Raise pay to keep good employees. Help current employees advance.

Showing 13 of 14,516 reviews