Macy's Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 874 reviews)

1. "Selling Associate"

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and a nice work atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is lower than other area retailers.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, contests, nice co-workers, Starbucks and beautiful store.

Cons

Pay is low, even if you have a degree and years of retail experience. Thanksgiving was always ruined by going to work right after dinner. Change managers like underwear.

Advice to Management

Pay according to experience, put more people on the floor because customers feel like it’s better to shop online. Stock stores with product. Don’t make the customer wait for merch to be delivered, or they might as well go to online shopping only.
    Support the staff and treat them like humans.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part. Unfortunately the department into which I was hired paid commission so there was a surprising amount of back-biting and hovering. I also enjoyed contact with the public/customers most of the time; every once in a while, of course, you have to deal with someone who's either having a bad day or just genuinely seems to enjoy driving other people to the verge of tears.

Cons

Horrible scheduling process in which you sit around waiting for the stroke of midnight on Sunday night and then everyone from your department logs on from their homes; hours are allotted by first-come/first-serve, so if you're late logging in or just not very adept at using the scheduling app, you get locked out in a hurry. It was a nightmare. It's also not a lot of fun standing for 8 hours at a time on a hard floor. Retail's not for babies. Management for my dept was fine; she was brusque but fair. HR, upper management were sort of No Man's Land. I used to love Macy's . . . and then I worked there.

Advice to Management

Invest more consideration and perhaps a little more money into your employees; they're the face of your store/company, doing all the drudge work, getting corns and calluses, and smiling for the public. Most of the people I worked with did a wonderful job representing the store and worked with attention to detail and pride in their surroundings.

4. "Rotten company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers and thats about all

Cons

Managers, lack of honest pay raises, Last Act, fulfillment, corporates attitude toward brick and mortar stores, no integrity, always cutting jobs, no room to advance, managers and directors get paid for medical Leave of Absence.(associates dont), Company would rather you leave than accommodate a Dr's request.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the overpaid directors and managers who sit in their NY or OH offices all day and really don't have a clue of how things work in the stores. Stick them behind a register by themselves and let them deal with angry customers all day. Show the hard working associates some appreciation (my store didn't while other stores celebrated their employees). Get rid of the Last Act garbage as it cheapens the feel of the store.

5. "Merchandising team lead"

Current Employee - Merchandising Team Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Retail offers flexible hours if you need it, coworkers are close and friendly, some management are very helpful and patient during training.

Cons

lack of growth, wage gaps, vacation time, benefits

Advice to Management

better wages for those who have been there longer.

6. "Easy Money"

Current Employee - Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay for first job $9/hour

Cons

customers are insane, very strenuous work, policy always changing,favoritism to those who open credit cards with customers.

Advice to Management

communicate better with your staff

7. "Not worth the time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Independence, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts are decent as they are on top of sale prices

Cons

Very little opportunity for career advancement
    Gave little notice concerning benefits.

8. "Time at Macy's"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Prairie Village, Johnson, KS
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Prairie Village, Johnson, KS

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn to work in a corporate environment, working as a team to get the job done. Learn to rely on co-workers, and when to ask for help from others. Satisfaction helping others, including customers and co-workers throughout the store.

Cons

No real direction overall of keeping standards. The hierarchy of leadership was poor. Hours could be pretty inflexible and availability only goes so far. Dissatisfaction internally was dealt with poorly. Department employees had problems being asked to do something outside what they considered they spectrum of tasks, even though it was stressed that everyone needed to be able to do most tasks. Would not recommend for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Find managers that are willing to sell the idea of working as a whole store to get the job done. Do not rely on a few individuals that will be willing to do the jobs while everyone else stands around. Make sure your leaders are able to do the work they want others to do.

9. "GREAT MANAGERS!"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers all are team players. The managers are very approachable and fun to work with.

Cons

They need someone to work on fitting rooms. It's always a mess, especially on big sales day.

"Racist employees"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, the store is indoors

Cons

At the Kansas City Metro North store the human resource person and a male manager couldn't believe I a part time seasonal black female had a Macy's credit card. They both asked me twice. The fragrance and makeup counter was so hostile for me as well as the black customers.

Advice to Management

Try to do seminars for the employees on diversity and inclusion. It's the reason I quit, it was the most overtly racist place I had ever worked.

Showing 54 of 16,273 reviews