Macy's Reviews in Kennesaw, GA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Lots of Tasks with Great People"

Current Employee - Flex Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Flex Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

A work day goes by quickly! Even when there's no customers there's always something to stay busy with and I love it. I am a flex associate so I pick up all my hours which is very convenient for me. All of management and my coworkers are so sweet to me and I love being able to work different departments every shift.

Cons

The pay feels a tad low for all the stuff we have to do, but still pretty good regardless. Sometimes the sales goals are a little high for, say, Monday morning when people obviously aren't gonna go shopping.

Advice to Management

Make sales goals more realistic during the weekdays, and encourage more hands-on training instead of the computer.

2. "It could be better"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always opportunites to get more hours.
    Great company to work for

Cons

The starting pay is way too low for all the work we have to do on a daily basis.
    The employees (old and young) seem very prejudice.

Advice to Management

The managers need to be fair to all employees and not show obvious favoritism.

3. "Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun job if you like dealing with customers.
    Good benefits.
    Flexible Hours.
    PTO.
    Independent work environment.

Cons

Pushing credit card referrals down customers throats.
    STRONG lack of management at times.
    Very little room for professional growth.
    Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards..?

Advice to Management

Associates know their on a credit quota - if continuous failure to meet quotas occur, then there's an understood need for coaching. However reminding associates 40 times in a 10 hr. shift is not only excessive- but irritating - and tyranny drives associates towards rebellion.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, they work with your hours, and are flexible. Great people to with work .

Cons

The pay could be a little higher .

"don't believe the hype!"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought it was a good company however the people they hire to represent them isn't so good!

Cons

Horrible leadership
    need more qualified managers
    employees try to bully and Macys does nothing about it!!

Advice to Management

Advice to Regional and District, employ better leadership if Magic is so important.

"This job has a shelf life!"

Former Employee - Ft Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Ft Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed weekly pay, 20% discount +30% once per month plus employee only specials at specified times.

Cons

The training is self taught. You are placed in a room with a computer for a day or two until training is complete and you either get it or you don't.The last part of the training is supposedly to shadow someone on the floor, however, it is retail, so the employee doesn't have time to train you and work at the same time. There are employees that have been there for a significant amount of time that are great to work with, but for the most part are very territorial over the dept and will act as your manager even though they are only an associate themselves.I worked in the ladies dresses/formal wear/suits and the 'specialist' of that dept who really had no prior training or expertise, was handed a title and thought she owned that dept. She ran employees off and no one wanted to pick up shifts in that dept. In the short time I was there, we lost several employees. She was committing credit fraud to open new accounts and breaking store policy, regardless of how much she was reported, it was swept under the rug. She was even named Star Employee of the Month. This company will turn the other cheek if it benefits them, but will not support their employees when they are being harassed and belittled by these such employees. We were constantly nagged to increase sales and new accounts everyday, several times per day but there was no support if we had to be out for illness or family emergencies. It is all about the bottom number.You are most definitely replaceable at Macy's and if you don't hit your quota on opening new accounts you are at jeopardy of loosing your job. I had to fight to get my breaks during busy times, we were often told there was not enough coverage. I know of at least two shifts that I was not even given time to get a bathroom break during my entire shift. The pay is low and the annual raises are even worse, I received 10 cents for the next year and was told to keep working on customer service.

Advice to Management

It is all about the bottom number. The company advertises work life balance but that is bait and switch. You have the opportunity to advertise or switch schedules with someone else, but if you do this too much, the manager speaks to you. Regardless if you are scheduled outside of your availability. Employees that are breaking policy and mistreating their fellow coworkers are not dealt with, regardless of how often it is reported. They would rather loose several employees and keep the bad apple instead of dealing with the problem. There is no exception to loosing attendance points despite illness and family emergencies involving hospital admissions,etc. Life has circumstances beyond our control. But at Macys, we are at jeopardy of loosing our jobs because every absence or tardy is counted the same regardless of the reason. Management tells you a doctors note is irrelevant, but they will ask to see it anyway to see if you are lying. This employer is a crap shoot.

7. "Men's Shoe Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, weekly pay, and opportunities to increase and decrease hours per week. Good benefits too.

Cons

Making commission takes time and is conditional on you whatever you make in commission totaling more than your hourly pay for the week.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic goals for opening new accounts and presales.

8. "BEAUTY ADVISOR"

Current Freelancer - Beauty Advisor in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Freelancer - Beauty Advisor in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Able to create your own schedule and gain product knowledge from all different brands.

Cons

May not be guaranteed hours and may get under-paid.

Advice to Management

Provide more hours and be organized!

9. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like that you get paid weekly, and that the pay is higher than minimum wage. It's easy to give up and pick up shifts, or swap with someone if you want to work a different department. The discount is nice but you have to get a Macy's credit card or prepaid card to use it.

Cons

The 10 hours of "training" is mostly irrelevant. You sit at a computer and watch videos about how unions are bad and how to treat different aged couples when they're doing a wedding registry (there are people who work exclusively in registry and I'm not one of them). The POS training is the only thing you'll use. Sometimes the managers won't give you a break, even though they're required to by law. You get burnt out easily. I've been working here for a month and a half and I can't wait to start working somewhere else. It's annoying how much the managers push you to open credit accounts. As someone with credit card debt (not much, but still), I don't feel comfortable pushing that onto someone else. You do get $3 Macy's money for opening an account though. I don't ask customers if they want to open one, but when they do without being asked it's nice to get something for it. The employees who have been there a long time are extremely rude. I don't think they like new people. The worst part is probably that you have to do returns on anything, whether it's been used or not. I watched a manager do a return on a clearly used pressure cooker after Thanksgiving. When I worked in kids I returned over $200 worth of baby outfits that this lady's kids had grown out of. None of them had the tags on them-they were just stuffed in the pockets and some of them didn't even match the items. Everything was filthy and we had to damage it all out. I don't know what they do with the stuff that gets damaged out- I hope they donate it instead of just throwing it away.

Advice to Management

Don't let people return used items. So many people think they can basically rent things from here and then return them when they're done with no consequences. I can't imagine how much money the store loses from these thieves.

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and enjoyable work experience thus far. Management is good at times and the employees all work hard and have camaraderie.

Cons

Management is sometimes no responsive to calls from employees for assistance with customers. You would have to call a bunch of people before you could get to a EIC or manger in charge.

Showing 20 of 16,691 reviews