Macy's Reviews in Long Island City, NY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Macys"

Current Employee - Specialist in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Specialist in Long Island City, NY

Pros

Flexible, paid holidays. Opportunity for growth.

Cons

The holidays are very stressful.

Advice to Management

The pay can be better

2. "Lancome Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Lancôme Beauty Advisor in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Lancôme Beauty Advisor in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lancome is a nice company, they train really well and give loads of full products! they truly care about their employees and want them to be the most trained in the industry.

Cons

macys however does not care about their employees and are cutting everyone in beauty to part time or laid off, the company is struggling to make goals and there is bad morale in every deparment of store.

3. "Vendor Image Specialist"

Current Employee - Vendor Image Specialist in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Vendor Image Specialist in Long Island City, NY

Pros

Great company, great benefits, nice people, lots of perks.

Cons

Location in Long Island City, no work from home option for associates.

Advice to Management

Location choice in Long Island City is not ideal, but this won't change anytime soon.

4. "Beauty advisor"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome staff , build you profolio , meet and interact with good customers

Cons

Pay could be better in my opion .

Advice to Management

Recognition is always nice

5. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Your co-workers are usually nice and will cover most schedule changes or revisions for you. Many different positions to be transferred or promoted to within the company.

Cons

Rotating schedule in addition to excessive hours. Managers are salaried and do not get any overtime compensation or bonus. If you need to change your schedule for a work event, you usually just end up working more hours unless a co-worker will cover for you.

Advice to Management

Try to make managers schedules more flexible. Most of my managers were decent and professional but a lot of things are out of their hands, especially when it comes to fixing the coverage schedules.

"Great Job but retail is shaky in the economy leaving Macy's running in circles to keep it's top spot"

Current Employee - Michael Kors Specialist in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Michael Kors Specialist in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and stay friendly with the higher ups and the customers they will try to recognize it with a multitude of different things IE; Macy's Money, gift cards, promotions (less often), recognition cards that are good for future jobs.. There is also something to be said that on a surprise vist Terry Lundgren the CEO gave me a card recognizing my performance.

Cons

There is a definite culture of playing favorites at the store, sometimes rightly so and often not. Supervisors are often overworked due to weekly corporate visits which leads to high stress situations and being asked to stay late and come in on your days off.. Of course this is all hush hush because Macy's Corporate doesn't want people working 6-7 days in a row, but I know I worked every day for 2 weeks in a row several times and this was a common thing for many employees. Seasonal and undermotivated employees working side by side and dollar for dollar with seasoned vets and hard working individuals. I was told by one manager that Macy's is expecting more from less employees and then they laid off 2500 workers so their stock would go up and leaving room for new stores in "better performing" areas like the Bronx. Good workers are an asset and should be held on to not let go so you can hire 18 year old college students who don't understand or care about the business. (Mind you I am only turning 30 this memorial day weekend, far from a old timer but wise enough to see the writing on the wall)... Finally after having 3 seizures in the store and going on a short term disability I was let go "because my Doctor didn't fill out the proper paper work to extend my disability" to 2 months total. I think as the top sales performer in my department my stores HR would let me know personally yet they didn't even know. I was aghast by the insensitivity of the corporate office's lack of communication and jumping the gun to termination against my own store's objection.... well that's my store. The good the bad and the ugly is all there.

Advice to Management

Macy's is very slow going at everything it does. I was a Michael Kors Specialist that showed growth while in this position for a year and often times I had to ask repeatedly for my extra $250 a month incentive. In one incentive it took 3 months for HR to square the issue away. I also think as a company who promotes the idea that employees need time off to work effectively, should follow through on this. I have a strong work ethic and will not say No if I am needed but a good manager should also know when their employee has worked too many hours ( I am not talking the 60 hours a week during christmas time). I would have loved to come to corporate because I believe I could have been a bigger asset having been on the ground floor. INsight is great but it's time keeping with it's points is typically off based off the extra hours that are asked. This usually results in a trip to HR to square away the issues that usually lead to termination if they aren't proactively fixed by the employee and more importantly Human Resources. You have some really great talent work for you, I just think there needs to be some adjustments to make that leap to Macy's Perfection.

Showing 6 of 17,149 reviews