Macy's Reviews in Loveland, CO | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 868 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Kind Management Staff
    Room for growth
    Engaging colleagues
    Enjoyable work environment
    Wonderful lunches (1 hour lunch for 8 hour shift)
    Easily managed point of sale system

Cons

Sometimes rules change, or you are told something and it isn't correct, but that's more or less just something that happens in every job due to miscommunication.

Supplies can be limited at times, but that's only because upper management is working on making a baseline for how much should be spent per month on certain items.

The pay could definitely use some improvement, but if you are willing to put in the work, the pay will come along with it. Give it time.

It can take management a minute to get to your station if an issue arises with a customer... but generally there are only two managers on staff at a time... So I really can't blame them at all

Advice to Management

Continue to find value in all of your employees and they will continue to find value in you.

2. "Jewelry/men's/home store associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are very flexible with schedule, very fun work environment where people get along.

Cons

Pay was very low for all of the different things that were expected.

Advice to Management

Keep building employees up and making them feel important.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Handbag Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Handbag Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good this was the discount and that was the only thing that kept me working there over a year

Cons

Horrible management. They were never around when you needed them. A customer would need something that only a manager could do with out getting in trouble and they would just not show up in a timely manner so then the customer would get mad some how it fell back on the associate. Also the "favoritism" was beyond obvious. I was only there a year and most of the employees there before me had been there 4+ years. By the time I happily put in my 2 weeks there were only about 8 employees left who had been there longer then a year...... something needs to be done about the management and their treatment of their employees. Or Macy's could just take the buyout offer and stop while their ahead.

Advice to Management

Be nice to your employees and stop treating us like dirt and maybe you could stop the crazy turnover of employees

4. "Macy's (Pretty Generic)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO

Pros

Scheduling is pretty flexible (more so if you're part-time and are mostly picking up shifts); it's a decent first foray into the retail world if you're wanting something on the side (like with school, or just to keep you busy). Tasks are pretty straight forward.

Cons

Key days are a pain to work around if you absolutely cannot work that day. Turnover rates are pretty consistent, and a headache due to the scheduling gaps they create.

5. "Overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

You are apart of an amazing team of people who just want you to succeed and if you put the effort and dedication in there are many opportunities to move up with the company.

Cons

The company expects a lot from you and keeps extending responsibilities but not wages.

Advice to Management

The sales floor needs more coverage on a daily basis to accomplish day to day operations and to help our customers.

6. "People are nice, but their overworked"

Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Support Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Support Associate in Loveland, CO

Pros

People are nice, discount is good to.

Cons

Starting pay for seasonal support team is $8.00. Understaffed and over worked. Unorganized and short on supplies.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, and be more organized.

"A decent college job - would never stay!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. That's honestly about it. Occasionally, we'd have staff activities or treats and going to offsite training sessions were fun as well. I got free product a few times from visiting vendors.

Cons

Turnover is INCREDIBLY high - you're just a number to management, even if they pretend like you're not. Pay grade does not nearly reflect the amount of customer service and expertise that associates are expected to maintain. Long, tiring days with hardly any recognition and not much support from higher management.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees and they'll invest in you. I was considering entering the management development program with Macy's but my experience as an associate during college was so bad that I opted not to. It's not a surprise that turnover is so high.

"Enjoyed it While There...but low pay"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere, camaraderie and employee discounts.

Cons

Company keeps most employees under 30 hours in order to avoid benefits. My position used to be three full time employees needed to complete the required administrative and cash office work but cut the job to one full-time and two part time staff. Too much work for too little pay.

Advice to Management

These should be better paid positions given the skills and experience needed to do the job well.

"Well...it might be better than McDonald's (barely)"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. I was hired during the Christmas season when they were very much in need of new employees, so it was easy to get the job. Basically if they ask you to come in for the interview you'll get a job offer.The interview process is also very simple, I literally just got on this site and memorized questions, and they only asked me three or four total.

2. You have to apply online, so unless you are not in the least bit tech-savvy, it makes things less of a hassle. You can save your work and come back later, and also check your application status.

3. There are different tiers for full-time, part-time, on-call, etc., and the system they use allows you to literally pick up any shifts you qualify for (and unless it's commission and you're not specified for that you can pretty much pick it up) which means you can work in almost any department, work however many hours fits your schedule (unless you're full-time), and you can request three days where you aren't automatically scheduled per month (at least I could)
    Also, you can trade shifts with co-workers, request to have someone specific just pick up yor hours without getting any hours from them, or advertise your shift so anyone can pick it up.

4. Relatively good working conditions. It stayed cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I ran into a lot of display stand, but for everyone else it was a hazard-free environment.

5. Personally, I also made a lot of good friends with the people I worked with, which made things much more tolerable. I worked well with most of them as a team, and we were very conscientious of what everyone was doing and worked to get things done as a team. It was nice knowing that, despite all of the problems we all went through every day, you usually had someone there to help you out.

Cons

1. Where to begin...well first of all I absolutely do not agree with their policy for customer credit cards. They try to advertise it as so great and beneficial, really there are horrible interest rates and the savings usually aren't good enough to make it worthwhile. I had numerous customers come up to me raging about how they were charged money for unknown reasons, couldn't get through for help concerning their card when they called in, and telling me to just cancel it and that they were never going to shop at Macy's again. Plus, in this economy I just think it's unethical to try and force credit cards on people when many of them can't or shouldn't have one. As associates, we were expected to open one credit card a week (a quota I never met) and were given a cash reward for them. We were also required to have one of our own, a minimum credit limit of $75 dollars even for the "pre-payed" cards.

2. The training is almost completely useless, you get a few hours on some computer programs, a few hours on a training register, and an "orientation." You learn next-to-nothing about where products are, what products are carried, or how to do things such as fitting men for dress-shirts and suits or women for bras. All you can really do is try to cram details in about where/what there is surrounding you and hope that no confused customers come to you for help. No direction is given once you get on the floor, you're just expected to know what to do. The only thing that saved me was having some awesome co-workers who were great about helping me when I was having issues.

3. The compensation was awful for what my co-workers and I went through! While it's true that occasionally there were slow days where we just went around straightening things, we always had something to do. Very rarely did I ever find myself standing around just chatting with co-workers. We were simultaneously expected to help customers at the register (although we weren't allowed to be at the registers if there were no customers there), help customers on the floor, and straighten/organize/stock tables and racks. While also being expected, by many customers, to know where everything was, information about every product, store policies, and much more, despite how long you'd been working there, if you just picked up the shift in a new department for extra hours, and the ridiculously unhelpful training. It didn't help that the visual team moved things around every other week, so we had to hunt around even if we knew what we had. Our management team frowned upon us asking for help from them, which made things all the more difficult. Tack on Black Friday, the Christmas season, and the many weekend sales which everyone was expected (*required) to work, and you get one giant mess. Oh! And don't forget those problem-customers, maybe they're livid about their credit card, maybe they want $200 cash back for a 5-year old comforter, maybe they can't find those jeans that were advertised in the catalog, maybe they just need someone to yell at! All of this for a whopping $8.00 an hour, and that is literally the salary of every single one of my co-workers who hadn't worked there for five years and wasn't in management. As a corporation, Macy's barely pays over minimum wage, and they expect every associate to deliver 5-star customer service? I can tell you from first-hand observation, that is not the case and it never will be.

4. There is a point system for attendance. You start out with 3 points. You can earn more points (usually one a month if you have perfect attendance, unless it's the holiday season or a big sale season). Unless you have a pre-approved absence or you get your shifts picked up, you lose points if you miss work. You lose partial points for being 10 or more minutes late. If you miss a day, even if you're sick or your car breaks down or you have an emergency, you lose a point. Unless it's the weekend, then you lose two. Also if you're more than an hour late, you lose a whole point. As soon as you run out of points, you're done. There's no meetings to explain your case, no kind management giving you a second chance, nothing. You're just done.

5. The previously mentioned policies and procedures are made very easy for the employer to enforce, simply by making you completely replaceable. I worked there for seven months, and by the time I quit there was pretty much a completely new set of people in my department.I put in my two-weeks notice, and a week later there were three new people in my department (aren't they efficient at hiring though??). I saw people who were very dedicated and hard-working quit because they couldn't stand it anymore or because it wasn't worth the pay they were receiving, and I didn't blame a single one of them for leaving.

10. "Could be better. Expected from minimum wage work"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Loveland, CO

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly coworkers, decent employee discounts

Cons

Minimum wage, dull work, extremely repetitive, minimal room for promotion possibility

Advice to Management

Treat seasonal employees better and they will stay

Showing 12 of 15,797 reviews