Macy's Reviews in Manchester, NH | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Fun Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome store discount, the people that worked with me were nice and fun to work with, was an easy retail job with very little stress or responsibility. They hire from within a lot and several people were promoted in the short time I worked there.

Cons

Managers are too busy sometimes to deal with issues quickly, pay is very average for part timers who can't meet sales goals. Trying to sell a credit card to every customer gets annoying.

Advice to Management

If you pay your workers better or gave them more of a chance or commission in all departments, they would work harder for you. Part time associates don't have any motivation for selling.

2. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros that I can think of. Every aspect of this job was grimacing. No pros to this job

Cons

Always pushing CC sign ups, managers don't communicate with staff, employee discount is only 20% and you have to use a Macy's CC,

Advice to Management

Communicate to your employees

"Not worth your time (Literally!!)"

Former Employee - Stock Replenishment in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Stock Replenishment in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work your own schedule kinda

Cons

Poor Management, NO HOURS, Plain and simple. Mangers Rude and unsupportative. I got little to NO training.

Advice to Management

I worked at Macy's for about 3 months. I was hired for stock replenisment and cleanup. They told me the hours of availability but when it came to which DAYS I had to work, I had to go online and see if hours were "Available" for pickup. Kinda a last come, last serve fill in. My hours varied from 8 a few weeks to ZERO for multiple weeks. I even had to ask my bosses if I was still employed. They eventually changed my position to just cleanup. I was working two jobs at the time and Black Friday was approaching. No hours were given (at first). My other job gave me a 9 hour shift. FOUR days (the monday before Black Friday) I get a call TELLING me my hours. I had already been scheduled to work my other job. So they had to re-arrange me (kinda beligerantly) for Black Friday.

I admit I came in exhausted. But I worked. I was working with Jeans in the Men's department. Some Jeans were on the Floor basically (litterally 3 inches above the floor, and were a mess. As I was picking them up, a manager accused me of "Sleeping on the job" and threatened action (said if I did it again I'd be fired). I immediately got upset and demanded to speak to management. They said that I could not even consider quitting because "WE OWN YOU!!" I said "Watch me!" and I walked out.

In terms of paperwork needed to leave, they didn't even HAVE the paperwork that was required when someone left their job (claimed it had been like 2-3 years since someone left). Told me they would call me back or Fax it to me...never did.

My advice: Hire BETTER managers! Get RID of your "fill in" schedule and set up a schedule like a REAL company so that workers know what/when to expect to work! Be more SUPPORTIVE to your workers and more accomidating when it comes to emergencies. Finally, TRAIN your employees when it comes to finding WHERE things are so they can properly put things away!!

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Pros

employee discount, able to switch days/hours/schedule with others

Cons

no recognition, bad pay, long hours, bad break schedules

5. "Working at Macy's is like being alone and trying to stay afloat on a sinking boat."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The other Sales Associates at Macys really made the job worthwhile. I met a lot of talented, hard working people at Macy’s at the Mall of New Hampshire. The occasional training sessions were a great break from routine and a good way discuss concerns with coworkers and management. Working on holidays paid time and a half and we occasionally had cookouts on the unloading dock on holidays. (You were not allowed to participate unless you brought in food to contribute.) Although they were inconsistent and rushed, the weekly performance review in the closet next to the fitting room with my manager made me aware of what I should improve upon. (These <5 minute meetings were always strictly in regards to my sales goals.) Managers were usually available by store phone. On the off chance they weren’t, I always got a quick response my using the intercom.

Cons

There were constant scheduling hassles. Although the system we used was designed to accommodate part time and on call associates, managers would use this system to modify it after it posts as a hassle free way to deal with the shifts that were not taken. Thus, they created their own “no call no show” problems when those associates unknowingly missed a shift.
    The store was in disrepair. From those 1970’s dark beige phones we attached to the receiver with a paper clip to the broken sensor removers that were replaced with bulky handheld ones we inefficiently shared between counters, the necessary tools to productively work were rarely available or not easy to operate with.
    The stores are filthy. I brought in Purell to my work station as my requests for it were never fulfilled. We stayed open past mall hours and the cleaning lady would be gone for the night before us. (The store cut down to one cleaning person from 3-4 by the time I left.) Flooded toilets were dealt placing an “Out of Order” sign on the bathroom door. Employees either had to hold it or walk through the wet bathroom floor. I cannot remember how many times I dealt with that particular issue in my years at Macy’s.
    Management was apathetic towards hard working, long term employees. During my time there, one of the managers who had been with the company for a very long time was demoted. A less experienced manager was assigned the area to manage. A lot of workers there felt very uncomfortable by the very obvious and cheap move to cut company costs.
    Sales goals created animosity between associates. During my time there, the focus on achieving sales goals, increasing items per transaction, and increasing my average cost per item was ridiculous. I was told to focus less on “put aways” and be more aggressive about ringing up sales. Roping in low income customers, who didn’t quite understand the consequence of opening a Macy’s credit card, was a huge focus of the job as well.

Advice to Management

Invest in upkeep of the building. Provide Purell at all working stations and employ a hard working cleaning staff. Your sales focus is short sighted and displeases customers and associates. Return to a time where Macy's was a classy store that had great customer service instead of pushy sales people. Fire more ineffective managers--to many go unchecked.

"unlivable wage and hours"

Current Employee - Visual Associate/Merchandiser in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Visual Associate/Merchandiser in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount..lots of sales and clearance

Cons

management is very uncaring about their employees. very negative. corporate continues to downsize leaving few people to do the work that multiple people used to do. this results in messy dirty stores, staffed with stressed out associates. changing to a parttime only staff..where you can go weeks with being only schedualed 8 hrs a week. no guarantee of hours. who can live like that?

7. "A painful and disrespectful place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You got to pick your own schedule, somewhat.. from what was available. I did the morning shift. Work was kinda easy stuff.

Cons

Disrespectful management. Didn't really know who I was (like I was a number to them). Were not prepared when I gave my notice to resign/quit. Did not work out well with other PT job at the time (conflictions).

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and find out who your employees are!!

Showing 7 of 16,436 reviews