Macy's Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 335 reviews)

• I didn't feel morally right trying to convince people to open up credit cards when I could tell that it wasn't a good decision for them (in 802 reviews)

1. "Good experience, Opportunities to grow"

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy dynamic, co workers were great, management was okay,

Cons

No team building = no motivation

2. "Macys"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

Base-+Commision, somewhat flexible hours, Steady management

Cons

No respect, strange rues, pretty much minimum wage pay

Advice to Management

Start being honest during the interview process

"All I can do.. Is give it a four"

Former Employee - Recovery Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Recovery Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Not to far from a food area
    Nice clothes, etc

Cons

Rude customers
    Messy work areas
    Lazy Workers
    Only a few minutes of break and lunch hours
    Make sure when the season is over, let them print out their W2's ahead of time

Advice to Management

Please pick out the people that are willing to work, let customers know to put back items instead throwing them on the floor, have at least 30 mins of lunch and break

4. "Management Nightmare"

Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Discount is nice.
    -Gratis 3 times a year plus classes which give you even more products
    -Relaxed with coworkers

Cons

-Management was horrid. They gossip like cjoldren. They don't lead by example. Certain counter managers can't even do make up or wear it. Counter manager literally is never at the counter because she has to do "numbers" for 6 hours. Managers are also harsh even when employees have family emergencies. Also very unprofessional in front of customers, starting arguments in front of customers and so on.
    -I quit and a few hours later my fellow coworkers were asking me if I said anything about them when quitting, which I didn't, management tried to use me to pin things on associates still working at Macy's. And now the whole counter is ready to follow and quit once a better job presents itself.

Advice to Management

Change management at Clinique counter and Sales managers. Very unprofessional

"Counter Manager"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Gratis- products from the vendors, vendor training, some very nice people associates

Cons

people with no integrity and/or management skills, most little to no education and probably 99% are foreigners, elderly and children. Should not be considered a career just a paycheck and not a very good paycheck. If you have no skills and are from another country, senior citizen or under 24 without education and don't need to use your job Asa primary source for your livelihood; then Macy's is the job for you. Unrealistic expectations, horrible hours and attendance requirements are prehistoric with time clock system. The registers and technology is as old as most of the buildings they lease. Management only care about credit card applications because that is how the GM get his incentive pay which is a good percentage of the GM salary. Most folks spend all their salaries back and often go into debt that make them a slave to the job. Just google them and you will see all the lawsuits nationwide from coercion to racism. If you can find anything else to do, please do it! This is one of the worst employers in the U.S. In terms of caring for employees. They stand out in front of Walmart in terms of abuse for international employees. Likely because most of them are grateful to have any job because their own countries are in such distress Macy's take full advantage and work them like slaves for years with increases of .10 per year average . That's right I said ten cents. A quarter a year is for top performers. Thank God some work for cosmetics and cologne vendors who add a little better commission and incentivize for them. But overall it's is still at or below minimum wages. Please stay tune for more on this company. Undoubtedly they will be in the news again and again for unscrupulous practices. This company is a billionaire company with over 150 years of America's biggest celebrations wrapped around their dirty fingers. But with power and wealth they feel they are above integrity and law. I really pray one day they have to pY back all those employees that are currently enslaved and former. If you are offered a job here do yourself a favor and just say "NO"!!!!'

Advice to Management

this company literally need to clean house from the back door to the front office. There are too many bad apples here, the entire bunch has rotten. I said start at the top and toss them all out and start all over again. Especially security. They racial profile, bully and comity all kind of illegal acts. In terms of stolen goods the company should start with security, they are the biggest culprit s of theft. They rob the store of goods and the people of integrity and civil rights. Most of these folks If not all should be hand cuffed , put in jail and throw away the keys! I select one star only because there are not any negative numbers to select. But my rating is negative 10 in all categories. The sad news is they have a lot of very good employees working there that deserve so much better. They are liars that don't send up for their employees. Many lawsuits and boycotts in the future of this company. The store is a dump beyond the bright lights and polished displays. Someone should use some of those Macy's dollars to do some repairs and replacements, more to come on this one too. Department management really need training bad. People management, HR, Diversity training, Performance management. It was so primitive I felt like I went back in time. Unbelievable! The new store name should be "Hustlers" because all they want you to do is beg and hustle. One event after the next. In an upscale location people just want to shop. They don't come to the store to be harassed into buying credit cards and gifts that are worthless for the most part. This store is a good marketing advertisement for why people shop on line. They want what they want and they don't want the hustle !!!!!'mm

"Women's Shoe Recovery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Macy's because it was fast paced, the environment was great and the managers was great as well and it helped me learn a lot more about the company and customers assistants experience.

Cons

Not enough hours and cashiers

7. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Retail Specialist in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Specialist in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people, and gaining a new client.

Cons

Not all co workers are team players

Advice to Management

Improvement in communication with employees.

8. "Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discount, good hours, fun co workers, weekly pay, fast paced, employee recognition, awesome customers, lunch breaks.

Cons

managers are often under-qualified, favoritism, racism, too much pressure to impress corporate during visits, phony mangers.

Advice to Management

start hiring more experienced workers, it makes working here less of an headache.

"Executive Development Program"

Former Employee - Executive Development Program in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Development Program in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay, learned some valuable information, some of the Sale Associates are AWESOME, had some good manager friends at work and an AWESOME Assistant Store Manager.

Cons

If you are working at a BIG store... be prepared to throw your college education in the garbage. You will instantly be the cleaning lady/man. I had the Ready To Wear department (Women's clothing) and ALL I did was fold table, put away clothes, refold table...! During inventory... I worked 23 hours STRAIGHT and when I went to take a 10 minute break to grab food (because I felt like I was going to faint) my Store Manager gave me the WORST look.

... I do have to say... I transferred to different district (due to location) and am a Sales Manager at a smaller store and I my views I have had for Macy's have been starting to change. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my boss. He is an AWESOME guy who actually understands that we have a life other than retail and is a great mentor.

Advice to Management

If you have been working at the same store for over 5 years and it STILL is terrible ... please do us all a favor and look for another job! Some of the upper management had been there for ages and were the WORST to work with.

If you are at a BIG store, please be DIRECT. No need for the fluff.

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with can be really cool unless they are the type to get over on you because you are new.

Cons

Pushing sales, Managers that feel they need to prove something, and other workers that do not really like helping. After training they do not really help you out much they throw you right on the floor and leave you.

Advice to Management

Some managers are really good, but some of them should not be managers because they barely know answers to questions, and they never answer their extensions.

Showing 14 of 13,786 reviews