Macy's Merchandiser Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "good job"

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good first job little qualifications

Cons

no extra hours tight payroll

Advice to Management

you're good

2. "I Enjoyed My Position"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked Mon - Fri. Could be creative.

Cons

Constant floor moves at the location I was at.

3. "Macys"

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, benefits, good training

Cons

High turn-over, values younger employees over older talent, extremely corporate with strong office politics, unstable, lots of restructuring

4. "They lost an employee and a customer."

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Flexible hours. Decent amount of PTO. Overall helpful and supportive in-store management.

Cons

I worked as a merchandiser and in the shoe stockroom. They don't have adequate temperature control in the stockrooms. In the summer it's uncomfortably warm, which makes work difficult because our job is to, as quickly as possible, retrieve shoes for customers or to put away merchandise. If you like sweating profusely at work, I suppose this isn't a bad thing.

They don't turn on the air conditioning until close to store opening, which means if you do work a merchandising shift you work in a stuffy, hot store all summer while putting stock away. Again, if you like sweating, this isn't a bad thing, but for the rest of us it's uncomfortable and embarrassing at times. They also don't turn the lights fully on until store opening which means you're left squinting trying to see for hours on end. I'm sure my eye sight is worse for it.

The stockrooms are dangerous. Stores are sent more merchandise than they have room for, which causes overcrowding of the stockrooms. Imagine shoes boxes piled 6 feet high that can (and do) topple over at any moment. It leaves very little room to move, which is exceptionally difficult when you're trying to get through with large boxes of merchandise, and is certainly not ADA compliant.

They will terminate your employment via email, which seems wildly unprofessional and inappropriate. This happened to me. When I inquired about this I received no follow up. I was a loyal employee for 6 years. I came in early, stayed late, rearranged my already busy schedule to help out when possible, and worked in unsafe and uncomfortable work environments for years, and was rewarded with a complete lack of respect. They lost an employee and a customer.

5. "Good place to start career, but..."

Former Employee - Digital Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate Discount. Summer Fridays. Depending on department, great team support.

Cons

Employees with the job title "Digital Merchandise Assistant" is often not respected for their hard work. The role is limited and highly repetitive and it's difficult to be promoted from this role. The only path to promotion is the EDP program, however recent college grads and interns are more likely to be accepted into the program. Due to the low acceptance rate for this program, there is a "hunger games" like atmosphere among the DMAs. Employee promotions are often not merit based.
    Also, the title for this role is only digital in name, there is no emphasis on learning about business strategy. Business decisions are based on store performance first before online.

Advice to Management

Stop leading the DMAs on there is growth from this role, be honest. Internal systems and processes needs improvement.

"Merchandising/Receiving"

Former Employee - Merchandising/Receiving in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising/Receiving in Houston, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still friends with some of my coworkers and we helped each other get through the day.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover. Management doesn't care about you. Needed a second job to make ends meet because pay is so low and chances for advancement are scarce, unless you know whose butt to kiss.

7. "Can be fun"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's always hours and sometimes you can do overtime depending on the day/event.

Cons

You'll have to work on holidays but does depend on the position.

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. They take care of their employees. Great benefits. Great working environment. They make you feel like family there.

Cons

As a new employee you are working all weekends and holidays.

9. "merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people work with and great flexible hours .

Cons

Lowest pay of any retail store.

Advice to Management

Get your people more money.

10. "(MTM) Merchandise Team Manager"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re young (under the age of 35) you stand a chance of possibly being being successful and having the opportunity to advance towards being a VPSM (Store Manager). I’ve been in the Retail Industry for almost 30 years and have met some really fantastic colleagues and leaders. At Macy’s that’s no exception, Macy’s is truly a very diverse and inclusive company to work for.

Cons

Macy’s is ever evolving and really only wants young blood as their store leaders regardless of your talents and work experience. I have an extensive and diverse retail management work experience and was led to believe that I could have my own box rather quickly. I was brought into the company as a Sales Manager and was promoted to MTM quickly after only 10 months. I was being groomed to be promoted once again until our DVP and most recent VPSM decided to retire from Macy’s to take advantage of working for a competitor of Macy’s. Since their retirement 6 months ago I’m no longer being looked at for future opportunities and was basically encouraged to seek employment elsewhere due to my age. I’m over 40 but under 50. Like I said they want young blood.

Advice to Management

Macy’s needs to look past age and go by talent and experience when selecting its leaders. You’re pushing out really smart, hard working Leaders with outstanding work ethics to bring some fresh kid out of school that are absolutely clueless. Good luck Macy’s you’re going to need it !!!!!!!