Macy's Reviews in Michigan | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
  1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The pros to working at Macy's it was a Good working environment.

Cons

There were no cons to working at Macy's.

Macy's2017-06-25
  2. "Merchandising"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

CoWorkers are friendly

Cons

Over worked with minimum wage pay

Macy's2017-07-09

"Cosmatics Counter Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good customers, nothing else I remember

Cons

Bad management, discrimination against success people, bad pay

Advice to Management

treat your good people well and don't let them look for another job

Macy's2017-07-19
  4. "Returning Employee and A lot has Changed"

Current Employee - Backstage Team Member in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the benefit of getting paid weekly instead of bi-weekly, it saves me financially.

Cons

Having to have a Macys Credit card just to get the employee discount knowing I don't have good credit.

Advice to Management

Find another method of giving your employees the employee discount without a credit card or pre-paid card.

Macy's2017-06-18

"Do not bother"

Current Freelancer - Flex Associate in Portage, MI

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Flexible schedule. Plenty of training for the register plus mentoring. The people are really nice and welcoming, easy to talk to.

Cons

All that training for what's called a flex position, where you pick up left over shifts that everybody else hasn't. Meaning there isn't many hours. I was under the impression that there was a schedule; the manager told me that there would be. But that wasn't true at all. Just picking up the left-overs of everybody else. I was email and interviewed within a few days months ago before I was "hired". The interview... went as expected, the woman was nice. Then she tells me after a few questions, unfortunately there isn't a position available. Excuse me? I'm done with applying to this company. As soon as a get an actual job and not what is an essentially an "on call" position, I'm out of here. Their clothes are too expensive anyway, even with all their coupons.

Advice to Management

Be clear on what position they are applying for. When I do pick up shifts, they will be in areas I will not know at all. I don't even know how to clock in or anything about how my breaks are dealt with.

Macy's2017-06-20
  6. "It was great at first!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harper Woods, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Building relationships with co workers, and the work and life balance. You get a discount and can earn macys money!

Cons

Your hard work goes unnoticed, they will use that to their advantage by giving you multiple titles without the pay, I worked there for 3 years and towards the end I really got fed up with being turned down from positions that they knew I was capable of doing! They will also make you believe you're good enough for positions but will outsource them! Oh and the pay sucks! Unless you have been their for 30+ years! Stay... away unless you're desperate! Oh and it is all about numbers with them, thats how you get raises! Sales goals, credit goals is all they are concerned with!

Advice to Management

Communication is key! Half of them don't know how to speak to you like you are someone! They will treat you as if you are beneath them! They play favoritism towards certain employees, All they care about is a paycheck!

Macy's2017-06-10
  7. "Great Company"

Merchandiser in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Macy's for less than a year

Pros

I worked here for about three months later year. Very welcoming work environment ,very sales driven, perks within flex option great for keeping employee morale up.

Cons

none, just coming in early, and not enough hours.

Macy's2017-04-17
  8. "Women's Shoe Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm gaining more leadership and merchandising experience. Challenging position than keeps you on your toes.

Cons

Not being compensated with a wage equivalent to duty expectations.

Advice to Management

If you value an employee and they perform their job. You should make sure they are fairly compensated. When good employees feel devalued they will leave even if they love their job.

Macy's2017-04-11
  9. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed my time here the people were nice management overall was nice. The benefits of paid time off was better than most retailers today you earn time off as you go and the point system works if you are a person that shows up for work on time and don't call out.

Cons

New hires at Christmas should be only for recovery and not register trained. To many issues with new hire Christmas associates some don't like to be given direction from seasoned employees or told what they are doing wrong by management I witnessed a lot in my years here with seasonals mouthing back at managers who were trying to get them to do the job correctly if you have them for the floor and they do a great... job at cleaning and keeping areas neat then invest in training it will save money and be less stressful to seasoned employees.

Advice to Management

Be more readily available when you call with a problem sometimes the customer is yelling and screaming at you and they want to see a manager if you can't comply call another manager but don't have employees stand and take the heat from customers it does not bode well with your associates whom are just doing their jobs sometimes it is so stressful that you do lose your composure with people. Don't berate employees... in front of customers and fellow associates this I have seen done and very unprofessional and when customers see this they make comments.

Macy's2017-03-28
  10. "Great Experience Very Professional"

Former Employee - Sws Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very Hands on Great Interview as well this company is getting a new Brand awareness in a Store . They love to promote from within as well

Cons

The Discount only 20% could be better I guess but other than that and asking every customer to open up a charge would be great

Advice to Management

Stay sharpe continue to listen to the feed back of your Team members

Macy's2017-03-08