Macy's Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Loved Macy's"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like fashion and helping people look their best - this is a job that you can make your own! As a associate in woman's apparel, I really had the freedom to engage with the customer and show my expertise. Also, Company provides 'Macy Money" for every credit account opened and for stellar performance. The money is used in store for purchases - receive $3.00 and you will need to match $3.00 - so it's only worth 50 %, but it adds up when you add the normal 20% employee discount. My fellow employees were very nice and extremely hard-working and thoroughly knowledgeable about their departments. They are one thing I will miss the most. I only left after 8 years as a part-time weekend associate at Macy's, because my other full-time job has ramped up my duties and responsibilities.

Cons

The industry is going through paradigm changes and with the onset of online purchasing many more returns. Many senior managers have left at my location (Mayfair Mall, WI) and there is a sense of
    confusion as the reorganization continues. Many new younger associates have come on board and there is a feeling of old ways versus new, but it appears to be a learning curve for all, employees as well as customers which Macy's calls 'guests'.

Advice to Management

Need the face of top/highest management in person to visit with employees. The videos are very good at showing you care, but more face-to-face interaction. Employees work exceedingly hard to manage customer needs and it feels sometimes like it is done in a vacuum. More top down interaction in person.

2. "Intern Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a good internship that I would recommend to anyone who can get it. The people were helpful to my career.

Cons

The competition was tough, but I would recommend to anyone who can get it. The people were helpful to my career.

Advice to Management

I think the morale problem can be solved by paying higher wages to front line workers and technical workers who keep the productions on schedule everyday.

3. "I enjoyed the experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was awesome, very good people to work with.

Cons

Pay, hours, and lack of professionalism amongst diverse sales positions.

Advice to Management

Wish you all well.

"Only made it a couple of months..."

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the discount, which is low compared to many other similar retailers (20%) but could be combined with store sales.
    Easy scheduling with employeeconnect IF hours were available (big IF).
    Starting pay was fair (but eventually not worth it).

Cons

Training is terrible. When put on the floor, I was teamed with a rude vet who stole my sales all shift. In training you sit through an anti-union video but this company's employees desperately need a union! Employees almost never got breaks at my store and there were never enough employees on the floor. I always had long lines and some managers would walk by and say "they'd find someone to help" but would rarely jump in and help serve customers. I quit after a couple of months because I was tired of dealing with frustrated customers, having racks and racks of clothes to put back, multiple dressing rooms to clean after covering three full departments on my own, and having to shut down all those registers. Extremely poorly run. I watched the managers force veteran employees out of their departments where they had tremendous expertise and made them go to departments they didn't want to be in. They cut a department and fired all the employees one day when they showed up to work like normal. They didn't offer them other jobs (but they could apply back after 30 days). There were these awful morning huddles where we had to pretend to be excited and the store manager pretended that morale was good. Whenever I worked a day shift, I was always asked to stay til close because there were so many call-ins. I found a few other employees I could count on and the most veteran ones lamented how much the company had declined. They used to have employees to do recovery (return items to the rack), instead of expecting sales associates to do it all. I'm so disappointed in the company that I doubt I'll ever return even as a customer. There were a few good area managers but they were spread thin with not having enough sales associates on the floor. The store manager said she had an open door policy. I expressed a concern to her once and she said she wanted to hear about it. She never ever asked about it again. A veteran in the store told me to not waste my time, that she did not care. If sales and credit card goals were met, she did not care about anything else. I would sometimes accept a job in a department I knew and then be moved to a department that required in-depth knowledge and then you'd be left to flail alone. Registers were supposed to have daily lists of who the managers were and they often weren't there. You'd have a tough situation and then a manager could not be found. I have had customers be positively IRATE over a situation that I could not override or resolve and no manager could be found. I'm just thankful an emergency situation never happened because it's really hard to get assistance. I took a lower paying job with a company that treats their employees with dignity. When I thanked the handful of veteran employees for their help, they said, "The good ones never stay."

Advice to Management

1) Give your employees their breaks that are guaranteed under the LAW.
    2) Put enough associates on the floor to manage both customers and recovery.
    3) Don't talk about "Macy's Magic" when you don't even acknowledge how much your employees are struggling.
    4) When you have massive call-ins, call employees IN and start as soon as someone has called in instead of always asking the day shift to stay late.
    5) Stop the cheerleading at morning huddles (complete with noisemakers) and actually talk to your employees.

5. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good employee discount, and can pick hours

Cons

under-paid for what management expects from you

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Polo Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Polo Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay. Excellent management. Able to schedule your own schedule.

Cons

Had to open Macy's account (customers weren't too open about that)

"ICQA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, holiday perks, peers were good to work with

Cons

individual agendas, no work life balance, expectations to work 7 days a week

Advice to Management

get on the same page

8. "Disappointed former employee"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to experience a new environment, and enjoy working at a fun place.

Cons

Staying after your shift is done.

Advice to Management

Next time someone gets in trouble for being told what they're to do, when they come to work for their shift, don't go and get mad. There are two sides to every story; so when you decide to fire a employee that was doing what they were told at orientation, and did what they were to do since they started working, hear your employee out also besides your co worker. Don't be quick to fire someone! Management sucks!!

"Waste of Time"

Former Contractor - Replenishment in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Replenishment in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts
    Casual dress code/wear black or red
    Get to talk to people at times

Cons

Terrible scheduling system
    Not flexible
    Not the best experience dealing with retail
    Lack of communication w/supervisors, etc

Advice to Management

Fix your online scheduling. I was a college student at the time, and it was just completely unrealistic. I worked literally 1 time during the entire holiday/seasonal time! Unacceptable and a joke. And also specify exactly what Replenishment is supposed to do.

"Unporofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's does a great job getting new hires excited about the heritage of the store.

Cons

VERY hard to get time off or schedule adequate hours.

Advice to Management

The management at the Milwaukee store was terrible. These were some of the worst managers I've ever encountered.

Showing 15 of 16,415 reviews