Macy's Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Loved Macy's"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like fashion and helping people look their best - this is a job that you can make your own! As a associate in woman's apparel, I really had the freedom to engage with the customer and show my expertise. Also, Company provides 'Macy Money" for every credit account opened and for stellar performance. The money is used in store for purchases - receive $3.00 and you will need to match $3.00 - so it's only worth 50 %, but it adds up when you add the normal 20% employee discount. My fellow employees were very nice and extremely hard-working and thoroughly knowledgeable about their departments. They are one thing I will miss the most. I only left after 8 years as a part-time weekend associate at Macy's, because my other full-time job has ramped up my duties and responsibilities.

Cons

The industry is going through paradigm changes and with the onset of online purchasing many more returns. Many senior managers have left at my location (Mayfair Mall, WI) and there is a sense of
    confusion as the reorganization continues. Many new younger associates have come on board and there is a feeling of old ways versus new, but it appears to be a learning curve for all, employees as well as customers which Macy's calls 'guests'.

Advice to Management

Need the face of top/highest management in person to visit with employees. The videos are very good at showing you care, but more face-to-face interaction. Employees work exceedingly hard to manage customer needs and it feels sometimes like it is done in a vacuum. More top down interaction in person.

2. "Intern Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a good internship that I would recommend to anyone who can get it. The people were helpful to my career.

Cons

The competition was tough, but I would recommend to anyone who can get it. The people were helpful to my career.

Advice to Management

I think the morale problem can be solved by paying higher wages to front line workers and technical workers who keep the productions on schedule everyday.

3. "I enjoyed the experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was awesome, very good people to work with.

Cons

Pay, hours, and lack of professionalism amongst diverse sales positions.

Advice to Management

Wish you all well.

4. "Macys a good place to work"

Current Employee - Cosmetic/Fragrance Merchandiser in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Cosmetic/Fragrance Merchandiser in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors, flexible schedule, great opportunities for advancement when you can work the required hours

Cons

I don't have any cons to list! I love working at Macy's- been working there for 4 years of holiday season- disappointed I can't be a regular employee tho!

Advice to Management

Overall I guess everything is good- I mean I can't complain Macy's been great to me so I can't say anything negative but it would be nice to meet Mr. Terry Lundgren! He is amazing!

5. "Cosmetic Counter Manager"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

-Associate discounts, Discount Bonuses, Gratis (free product)
    -Many great co-workers
    -ability to learn all major makeup/skincare/deangeence lines
    -learn new responsibilities
    -Create your own ideas for events, promotion bonuses for clients etc.
    -Commissions can be great if you work hard
    -pay is decent
    -Fun and upbeat workplace
    -Get paid travel time to time for training
    -recognition contests and programs
    -Work independently most of the time
    -Room to advance
    -Great open door policy with management

Cons

-Hours are not very flexible
    -understaffed so you may have to focus on other counters which may affect sales of your own counter
    -Stressful sales goals for your line and the store itself daily (2 sales goals per day)
    -Pre-sale goals can be stressful
    -many managers to answer to (if you are not a counter mgr. you answer to your counter manager, Department mgr., store mgr., line mgr. otherwise counter Mgrs. are the same but of course you don't answer to yourself)
    -calling clients daily to purchase product, pre sale or book them for an event
    -credit card goals can be hard to reach sometimes and count against your reviews is you do not meet (I never had an issue however many others did)
    -pulling people walking by to get them to sit in your chair and purchase product
    -customers that want a makeover...after you spend time with them they do not purchase regardless of your incredible sales ability
    -competitive co-workers you have to have the right personality. I have seen co-workers make others quit due to talking behind their back, Being deceiving by getting them in trouble with mgmnt. when they did nothing wrong, stealing sales, etc.
    (I had no issue but I seen many that did stay out of the gossip and you will be fine
    - unable to sit ever during your shift
    -inventory can be off and hard to get in causing you to loose sales
    -management can be rude and play favorites. Along with being deceitful as well such as you may be told you will get promoted only for them to hire someone else. Sometimes they do not listen to what you have to say even though they act like it. They do not coach you as they are supposed to. they are hard to find sometimes when you go look for them they are in their office they share having a "party" eating and chatting and not on the floor.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally, pay attention to whom is doing what, give advice and constructive critisim rather than putting one down, be more available, help with inventory and events, work with employees needs better based on hours they can work, staff for the day at all counters sufficiently

6. "Life changing"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Starbucks in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate Starbucks in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice employee discount, nice decor, high end retail exposure. Growth opportunities under the right manager. Locations are on bus route for most part.

Cons

Penalized for requesting additional hours. Employees recognize problems with management but are afraid to speak to HR. Problems aren't addressed everyone keeps their nose to the grid and pretends to be happy when management is present but gossips behind managers back

Advice to Management

Some supervisors are chemically imbalanced and treat employees wrong. I was contemplating working full time instead of returning to college in the fall after my experience with the supervisor at Macy's I understand why my family says you need a college education. I would not be satisfied working under the leader I had at Macy's she was forgetful, jumped to conclusions and inflated the truth.

7. "Work review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to cancel shifts online and pick up shifts online

Cons

Nothing really bad about working here

"Only made it a couple of months..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the discount, which is low compared to many other similar retailers (20%) but could be combined with store sales.
    Easy scheduling with employeeconnect IF hours were available (big IF).
    Starting pay was fair (but eventually not worth it).

Cons

Training is terrible. When put on the floor, I was teamed with a rude vet who stole my sales all shift. In training you sit through an anti-union video but this company's employees desperately need a union! Employees almost never got breaks at my store and there were never enough employees on the floor. I always had long lines and some managers would walk by and say "they'd find someone to help" but would rarely jump in and help serve customers. I quit after a couple of months because I was tired of dealing with frustrated customers, having racks and racks of clothes to put back, multiple dressing rooms to clean after covering three full departments on my own, and having to shut down all those registers. Extremely poorly run. I watched the managers force veteran employees out of their departments where they had tremendous expertise and made them go to departments they didn't want to be in. They cut a department and fired all the employees one day when they showed up to work like normal. They didn't offer them other jobs (but they could apply back after 30 days). There were these awful morning huddles where we had to pretend to be excited and the store manager pretended that morale was good. Whenever I worked a day shift, I was always asked to stay til close because there were so many call-ins. I found a few other employees I could count on and the most veteran ones lamented how much the company had declined. They used to have employees to do recovery (return items to the rack), instead of expecting sales associates to do it all. I'm so disappointed in the company that I doubt I'll ever return even as a customer. There were a few good area managers but they were spread thin with not having enough sales associates on the floor. The store manager said she had an open door policy. I expressed a concern to her once and she said she wanted to hear about it. She never ever asked about it again. A veteran in the store told me to not waste my time, that she did not care. If sales and credit card goals were met, she did not care about anything else. I would sometimes accept a job in a department I knew and then be moved to a department that required in-depth knowledge and then you'd be left to flail alone. Registers were supposed to have daily lists of who the managers were and they often weren't there. You'd have a tough situation and then a manager could not be found. I have had customers be positively IRATE over a situation that I could not override or resolve and no manager could be found. I'm just thankful an emergency situation never happened because it's really hard to get assistance. I took a lower paying job with a company that treats their employees with dignity. When I thanked the handful of veteran employees for their help, they said, "The good ones never stay."

Advice to Management

1) Give your employees their breaks that are guaranteed under the LAW.
    2) Put enough associates on the floor to manage both customers and recovery.
    3) Don't talk about "Macy's Magic" when you don't even acknowledge how much your employees are struggling.
    4) When you have massive call-ins, call employees IN and start as soon as someone has called in instead of always asking the day shift to stay late.
    5) Stop the cheerleading at morning huddles (complete with noisemakers) and actually talk to your employees.

9. "Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

I was paid $15 per hour plus I earned 3% commission on each sale, but beware my words because I was certainly paid more than most everyone else due to my high experience. I love retail and cosmetics so for me I was happy doing what I loved. I was hired in November and when I applied I was working 2 PT jobs, happily, but no benefits and a lot of driving. This was a big positive change. I was given a choice of managing one cosmetic line immediately (but a less popular one) or stepping into a very popular line to fill in for a woman who was out on maternity, with the promise that "something always opens up and we will find you a FT position with another line when she returns."

Cons

After making it clear that I was quitting my 2 solid jobs for this opportunity, I was let go with the "rest of the seasonal help" in January!!! Macy's is a very large company and if they want to cut back then the managers who make these grand offers have no choice. My cosmetics manager pretended she never made these offers to me, which really upset me because OF COURSE I would have taken the full-time job managing the less popular line in the first place. The other comment I have is these girls are very cliquey and nasty. I came in with a gigantic background in cosmetics and skincare and only got cold shoulders and, from the teenage overweight uneducated mascara over-loaded chicks, lectured. I would never go back.

Advice to Management

Seriously? Management? Who's managing anything? All you do is mock us and hand out Macy's money for those of us who chase after customers and sell them on opening charge accounts. That's a real class act for high end cosmetics.

10. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good employee discount, and can pick hours

Cons

under-paid for what management expects from you

Showing 22 of 16,422 reviews