Macy's Reviews in Northbrook, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company, poor hours"

Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Great staff. Management wants you to grow within the company as well as professionally.

Cons

Merchandising teams hours are inconsistent. Scheduling was all over the place.

"Good for seasonal employment, but not if you're looking to grow"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work with great people and had a pretty flexible schedule. The interview was also pretty easy and I started within a week of being hired.

Cons

Raises are very minimal even if you're told you're doing a good job (10 or 20 cents per year). There is very little room for growth. The AST department is pretty small so it was hard to pick up shifts to make extra money. I didn't personally sell anything or have to try and get people to open up credit cards, but I saw a lot of sales associates struggle to meet their goals. Managers didn't try to mentor or coach them in any way.

Advice to Management

Mentor your sales associates! All department managers need to not only communicate with their associates, but also with one another. To higher management: THINK ABOUT OFFERING YOUR ASSOCIATES BETTER RAISES AND BENEFITS.

3. "Sales Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

Pros

A lot of freedom during the work day. Hours can be brutal but worth it if you're a good salesman.

Cons

Hours can be extremely brutal. Sometimes customers can put you in very awkward positions where you cannot answer their questions.,

Advice to Management

You must be very outgoing and friendly. Remember never to scream or yell at a customer no matter how aggravating they can be.

Showing 3 of 14,538 reviews