Macy's Reviews in Northbrook, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 874 reviews)

1. "Great company, poor hours"

Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Great staff. Management wants you to grow within the company as well as professionally.

Cons

Merchandising teams hours are inconsistent. Scheduling was all over the place.

2. "Seasonal Associate"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

decent pay, some nice coworkers

Cons

DISORGANIZATION.
    It was so frustrating when I had to get something past my supervisor and I would have to walk three flights to try and find them. Half of the time I would not know what I was supposed to be doing and if I asked someone in management I would get something small to do and then get yelled at by someone else for not doing x, y, and z. The training is horrid and then your coworkers get upset when you have no idea what you are doing. I was in merchandising and I had zero training truly and then a few days in just got berated by a different manager for not knowing how to do anything.... Also the systems Macy's use crash all of the time which is a nightmare to deal with... It is such a stressful environment and they really do not care about you. It is good for some money during the holidays but I cannot imagine putting up with this any other time.

Advice to Management

actually train your employees, and get systems that work.

"Good for seasonal employment, but not if you're looking to grow"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work with great people and had a pretty flexible schedule. The interview was also pretty easy and I started within a week of being hired.

Cons

Raises are very minimal even if you're told you're doing a good job (10 or 20 cents per year). There is very little room for growth. The AST department is pretty small so it was hard to pick up shifts to make extra money. I didn't personally sell anything or have to try and get people to open up credit cards, but I saw a lot of sales associates struggle to meet their goals. Managers didn't try to mentor or coach them in any way.

Advice to Management

Mentor your sales associates! All department managers need to not only communicate with their associates, but also with one another. To higher management: THINK ABOUT OFFERING YOUR ASSOCIATES BETTER RAISES AND BENEFITS.

4. "Sales Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

Pros

A lot of freedom during the work day. Hours can be brutal but worth it if you're a good salesman.

Cons

Hours can be extremely brutal. Sometimes customers can put you in very awkward positions where you cannot answer their questions.,

Advice to Management

You must be very outgoing and friendly. Remember never to scream or yell at a customer no matter how aggravating they can be.

Showing 4 of 16,275 reviews