Macy's Reviews in Orange, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"I hated working at Macy's, but I also loved it."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA

Pros

Most of the associates are good people that put up with a lot. I loved working with a diverse group of people. Helping customers was one of my favorite parts of my job.

Cons

Executives are completely out-of-touch with reality. Sales goals are impossible to meet. The pay is horrendous! Be prepared to work a lot and still not able to pay your bills.

Advice to Management

Your associates are people, not a sales or credit goal. The store manager should NEVER talk badly about their associates. Managers should know more about Macy's policies than the associates. Why do you not promote from within?

2. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of exposure to different departments
    - good coworkers

Cons

- nature of retail is that there's no work-life balance
    - stores often understaffed

3. "Cosmetics"

Current Intern - COSMETICS in Orange, CA
    Current Intern - COSMETICS in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's as an intern (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible scheduling and employee discount. Great people to work with in the department.

Cons

Holiday extended hours, upper management inconsistencies and lack of communication

Advice to Management

Communicate with each other.

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Delegated task was a good for us.

Cons

Odd minded customers either to trick you or rip you up.

Advice to Management

Stay honest

5. "Working hare, low pay, little respect"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CA

Pros

Flexible shifts allow for a second job

Cons

Low pay, rude management, and associates given a sales goal every shift which is unreasonable. The sales goal leads to associates neglecting basic customer service functions and hovering at registers to get the sale. These sales goals do not lead to any sort of commission or raise in pay.

Advice to Management

Respect would be a beginning

6. "Only good for the flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexible schedule (add shifts, drop shifts, trade shifts)
    Diverse schedule since you can pick up shifts in many different areas

Cons

Sales associates have the longest list of daily duties (with the lowest pay usually)
    Sales goals are high and usually they require you to get at least 125% of daily goal
    Competitive work environment without money incentive
    Rated based on number of credit accounts, sales goal, and client list on a monthly basis (and what your raises or chance of advancement in the company are based on)
    Usually only one person per an area so can be overwhelming to get duties done, especially with pressure from management
    "Empowerment" which basically translates to macys "empowering" associates to handle customer issues on their own (which feels more like a message from management and the higher ups that they don't want to be bothered with coming on the floor to help even when customers request it)

Advice to Management

It can feel high pressure, but management is not the best at how they deliver their direction or requests. In my experience with two different stores in about 3 years of working with the company, the managers are probably some of the rudest when it comes to talking to associates. Also more physical assistance and verbal awareness would go further with making Macy's a more comfortable environment to work in. Maybe start requiring more managers start as associates so that they know procedure, and understand the struggle associates sometimes (most times) encounter on an average day...and to be more physically available or available through direct phone lines like a few years ago.

"The management can definitely be improved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scheduling flexibility. Being able to create your own schedule and pick up hours online. The training process was also great. Everything was well explained on the training videos such as the POS training.

Cons

Managers are rarely to never visible to the employees. There are no set expectations with the regular employees except for reaching a sales goal (which is not that accurate because some can just stay in the register the whole shift and easily achieve it) and opening a macy's card. Therefore, the employees doesnt have a set level of accountability and pretty much do whatever they wish to do.

Advice to Management

Working in a different retail company for more the 7 years as a supervisor has made compare what this company do differently than my previous job. The training was great and the scheduling flexibility is more than awesome. One thing I can suggest is to maybe change the structure of the management. As I said awhile ago, there are too many managers but they are rarely on the salesfloor to atleast follow up and set up expectations to the hourly associates. I would like to suggest to cut down the numbers of the managers and have some supervisors who can help develop regular employees, run the departments and set up expectations to the employees. This might be good not only for the stores, but also for the entire company because it can increase productivity and can lower the management cost , since supervisors get paid less than the managers. Working here for a few weeks, I have noticed that the regular employees comes to work and basically do whatever they want since there are no other expectations besides reaching a goal and opening a macy's card. The sales floor was very disorganized because there are no level of accountability to the regular employees coz no one follows up on them and tell them what to do or achieve in a regular basis. I believe that having someone to actually supervise them and work with them and be able to coach them regarding their performance can definitely increase productivity for the store and for the whole company. I have noticed some associate who loafs a lot and have been rude to the customers but the managers were not there to notice it to take the appropriate actions. This makes me think, how do the managers finds out which are the good employees and the bad ones? How do they determine who can excel and have the potential to grow in the company? To promote perhaps? I think that this company is great company but there are still a lot of room for improvement.

8. "Macys sales manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for improvement, great

Cons

Too many hours...Have to work overtime without pay

Advice to Management

hire more people

Showing 8 of 14,522 reviews