Macy's Reviews in Palm Desert, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

Flexible work hours and schedule

Cons

Minimum wage and stressful work environment

2. "Started out great but after a year I was over it and needed more."

Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I LOVED the people I worked with- really the only reason I stayed so long. Even most of the management is awesome, but I just wished they focused on employees' overall being and happiness more.
    - You can meet some really interesting people and connections along the way. I even had several customers at one point helping me find jobs or gave my career/life advice, because they knew what I was capable of. It was really motivating and nice.
    - Management never really bothered me because they all knew I'd do my job and do it well and knew I was capable of getting a much better job so they wouldn't over push me. It was nice because I kind of did my own thing and was able to focus on the job tasks that I loved (helping certain customers, visual, and merchandising). This is what they should be doing, because everyone has their own strengths and I think it'd help the store perform better.
    - I loved the department I worked in. It was my style and age group so a lot of the customers were also younger. I liked being able to work around clothing that made me happy and finding good deals on things I'd wear was a bonus.
    - Flexible scheduling was nice. Being able to have 3 unavailable days a month is awesome and PTO was generous. I believe I had about 8 full days after a year of working with Macys. Being able to swap with people and advertise my shifts was great too and I liked being able to pick up other hours around the store. I liked being able to have one set day and one set night off a week. The only negative about our scheduling was that I felt like it was constantly the same people opening and the same people closing, so that should be changed or worked on.

Cons

- The pay. I get it. It's a minimum wage job so you're not going to be paid a lot, but for everything thy expect out of us (store sales goals, presell goals, credit goals, clientelling, Thanks For Sharing goals, recovery, customer service, ringing, cleaning fitting room, go backs, magic, helping AP, etc..) it's a lot and we should be paid more. They stress the quarterly bonus, but it's lame. For a full-time employee working about 32-40 hours and 5-6 days a week I'd get $100- $130 for 3 months. They want you to hit all of these goals but don't want to compensate or incentivize employees more/better.
    - No promotional opportunity at least within my store. Numerous times I sought an opportunity because I knew no one else would help me and I was constantly turned down because management wouldn't back me and/or would say something about me that was untrue. I expressed my interest with visual and merchandising and was told they'd help me find a position within and never would. I talked to probably every manager in every department. I was always told that I'm so capable and should be doing more, but was never helped. Very frustrating.
    - There are cranky, entitled, and messy customers. You have to have thick skin and be able to stand your ground but not be too mean about it. If you don't or can't do that, then this isn't the right job for you.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your associates (specifically in sales) because ultimately we are the faces of the company and we see how things sell (or don't), how floor changes affect sales, what works and what what doesn't, etc. I would suggest/make comments about floor moves, mannequins, business goals, etc and they wouldn't listen because "I'm just a sales associate" (even though I have two Business degrees and have worked in customer service and on the business end). Then something would happen and it would either plummet or skyrocket. Management- some people on the sales floor know a thing or two..
    - Pay your hardworking associates better!! The annual $0.25 "raise" is ridiculous. That "raise" is given to everyone, even the associates who don't show up to work or don't do their job. I was a hardworking specialist who was able to make a $300 bonus monthly before the company got rid of the positions so a raise as such is a slap in the face.
    - PROMOTE your good people! I sought out many opportunities and was constantly told "something better might come" or "you never know what positions the company might open up. I gave up and Macys lost a good employee. Help the good employees or direct them in the path they want to go in.

3. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay is the only good thing.

Cons

Worse management. Not the people but the system part of it. Macy’s does not value their employees Macy’s only cares about the store operating.

"Cosmetics"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun environment. Room to grow.

Cons

Managers don't like helping associates from a department that isn't theirs.

Advice to Management

Help associates from other departments when necessary. Some departments don't always have a manager available. It's very inconvenient and a hassle when a customer needs help from a higher up. We call for a reason.

5. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's (More than 10 years)

Pros

great working environment, good people to eork with and also help as a custo5

Cons

staffing can be challenging when too many coworkers don't come in or work as a team
    wo

Advice to Management

offer more senior staffing to help accomodate us as well as the customer

6. "Macys"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

Nice co-workers, flexible schedule. Paid training.

Cons

Low wages. Hard to get enough shifts/hours.

Advice to Management

Should pay more than minimum wage

7. "Overworked and underpayed"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules; you can pick up or advertise shifts if you don't want to work a certain day. Thats pretty much it.

Cons

Very competitive; sales goals but no commission unless you work in shoes or cosmetics. Also no paid sick days. On busy sales days sometimes you'll be the only one schedules to work in an area even if its your first day or week.

"Support Team"

Current Employee - Support in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic

Cons

Management changes wreak havoc through out the store little or no training consistent pressure to reach or exceed goals that are unattainable Support associates are unrecognized an just considered bodies worked in retail 25 years and this is the worst organization I have ever worked for

Advice to Management

Need to check the employee engagement surveys and ACT ON THE we voiced our opinion and it keeps getting worse

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling of work shifts

Cons

Average hourly pay, better if you're on commission

10. "Satisfying"

Current Employee - Receiving Team Lead in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Team Lead in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and rewarding your hard work pays off. It just takes a little while to see it. Good atmosphere, great people.

Cons

Bad scheduling, managers are very distant from their team members . The operations could be ran better with more interactive management.

Advice to Management

Be more interactive.

Showing 20 of 16,436 reviews