Macy's Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Decent place to work (Men's shoes)"

Former Employee - Sales Associate Men's Shoes in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Men's Shoes in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts stack with sales, good commission rate, managers were nice and willing to help

Cons

It's retail, not much career advancement

2. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chill working environment, friendly co workers

Cons

not much of a con there

3. "Not ideal for this to be your only job"

Former Employee - Signer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Signer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It can be a fun environment to work in

Cons

It has the same issues as a lot of retail places: inconistent hours and low pay rate. Retail, in my humble opinion, would be ideal for someone coming out of high school or a summer job, but not as a career to feed your family

Advice to Management

To avoid a lot of turnover in hiring, if you pay people a rate where they can comfortably live and not have to pursue a second job, then it is more likely that employees would want to stay

4. "Cosmetics Consultant"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely physical working environment. I liked many of my fellow employees. Could develop customer relationships and customer following. Surrounded by other wonderful other retail stores which provided additional fun stimulation. Environment is aesthetically pleasing both inside and outside the store. Appreciate that Macy's is charity oriented.

Cons

-Does not provide employees with basic materials necessary to perform basic job functions (pens, pencils, tape, stapler, paperclips, etc.) Had to bring these supplies from home.
    -Management would hold contests with "reward" bonuses to challenge employees, but always FAILED to follow through with promises of to staff. Employees never received the bonuses promised to them.
    -Some of the management and poor skills in supporting and backing up employees/staff. This contributed to poor moral. Some managers seemed a bit power hungry and used their positions in negative ways towards some of my fellow associates.

Advice to Management

While Macys trys to be customer oriented, the company needs to focus more on employee moral and appreciation. In reality Customers are NOT always right and management (at least behind the scenes) somehow needs to still positively recognize, understand and appreciate the employee. Managers need more/better training in personal interaction and communication with staff. Shame on this store for not providing basic materials necessary to perform job, despite repeated requests. Shame on this store for not following through on its promises to employees.

5. "No work life balance"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discounts, co-workers, benefits, 401k. Nothing more than those things cause everything else really sucks. If you work here expect the best things to be these and nothing else.

Cons

Poor management, no communication, lack of direction, make you work hard with less pay. This company doesn't really care about your life, so they want you to work all the time.

Advice to Management

Double check your management team. If you think moving managers will solve the lack in management, than I think you should go back to management training and work on developing better management skills. Too much pressure and it shows in all the upper management. Too many management are doing illegal things and aren't getting caught. Learn to really listen to the workers and make sure the management teams learn how to be better leaders in order to change the direction Macys is heading.

6. "Optimal Fitting Room Associate at Macy's"

Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun fashion and working with a team of friendly, interesting people. The workplace and management structure is pretty well organized, so I always knew what to do and who to ask if I wasn't sure. I liked working in a job with high activity, where I got to move around the store distributing merchandise.

Cons

The schedule was unpredictable, as I would sometimes get assigned a shift a day in advance, sometimes on a day that I had already swapped or marked as unavailable. I didn't expect to have overnight shifts at a retail job, but the day before a big visit from corporate we would always work a night from 9pm to 5am. Schedules for a typical week included 6am-3pm shifts and 11am-8pm shifts.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about what shifts they can and can't work for whatever reason. Especially don't assign them a shift when they've already gone through the procedures to get out of it!

7. "Sales rep"

Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere for women

Cons

Week end schedule is not optional for par timers

8. "Cosmetic Sales"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, product knowledge, great location, great customers, usually #1 in the district, great product selection, located in Stanford Shopping Center

Cons

Underpaid, body injuries due to too much standing, lots of unprofessional people gossiping, lots of extra work tasks due to customer service closing, little room to grow salary wise, as well as position wise, unless you are hired at a luxury line and move your way up. Lots of inconsiderate sales sharks.

Advice to Management

Raise the employees salaries and pay if you want less turnover and legitimate company reviews.

9. "impossible sales goal"

Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice environment on the sales floor, all that walking will make you lose weight without trying

Cons

impossible sales goal, managers stress 'loyalty points' at every possible moment, competing with co-workers for the sales to make the daily goal erodes workplace camaraderie, some old timers will watch you fail

Advice to Management

try making the same sales goal that you set for your workers

"Good, but not for a long run."

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This position is a shortcut to gaining basic HR and administrative experience within retail environment. Given a considerate management, the on-the-job training is easy and thorough. Generous employee discounts, upbeat administrative team.

Cons

A) Hiring practices is a crucial part of this position. Additional training on employee benefits, HR policies and legal compliance, however, is not provided, though it would dramatically boost the skills necessary to perform the role of an Administrative Support Team member. You take on a role of a go-to person for HR-related questions, especially if the store HR manager is not around. It is a shame the resources are scarce to learn from.

B) Since Administrative Support Team is often in the background of the store operations, it may seem as if there was not much to fuss about. This is not true. An administrative support member handles multiple ad hoc projects during the day, being pressured by workload and deadlines. Keep in mind that administrative associates are also required to assist sales people during hectic holiday seasons. This is also the time when holiday hiring events are on the rise. So, you must be able to multitask between the sales floor and the office. Be prepared to perform beyond your essential duties, as separation of responsibilities is completely disregarded.

Advice to Management

Elaborating employee recognition program, facilitating continuous and advanced training, and improving communication (read: eliminate miscommunication or lack of communication) would be great to begin with.

Showing 18 of 14,546 reviews