Macy's Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Management"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about the retail industry within the various departments.

Cons

Long standing with full time positions.

Advice to Management

It's always best to accommodate the employee's schedules based on their availability to reduce high turn over and to increase retention.

"Confusing, Busy Job"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process is a breeze. Especially if you are just a temp this an easy job to not really care about. You are paid around $10/hr and are expected to work all the busy days during the holiday season, but really if you sign up for a temp holiday job what are you going to expect. There were also plenty of hours and even some overtime. The employee discount is great if you want to do your holiday shopping at Macys. Management is also so busy during the holidays that all you have to do is appear like you are doing work and they could care less. In short, it is a great job is you need short term employment and are not looking for a career with advancement opportunities.

Another bonus is you get your entire holiday schedule at one time so at least you know when you will be off so you can plan in advance.

Cons

The pay is pretty low compared to other retailers out there. Pay varies by store but don't expect more then around $10/hr. Shifts are long too and managers will try to hold you over if the store is busy when you are supposed to leave (if you challenge them though they usually back off), meal/breaks are skipped unless you advocate for yourself or just walk off the sales floor to take one, and you will sometimes get called in the night before expected to report with as little as 12 hours notice. Also, at least in my experience, I was told the temp experience would be from early November through till mid January. So I was anticipating, for budgeting reasons to have a job for about 8-9 weeks. The actual term of employment ended up being from late November to a few days after the New Year. A 8-9 week term is a lot different then a 5-6 week term when you are counting on make money during the few weeks that you are not being put on the schedule.

Also don't expect to call out and keep your job even if you are sick with a doctors note. One call out was enough to get terminated (which was usually done by just removing your shifts and letting you figure it out). This didn't happen to me but happened to one co-worker who had to go to the ER on Christmas Eve and missed her shift. She brought in a return to work note and other paperwork but was told by HR to go home for the day. Never saw her again and heard they just cancelled all of her remaining temp shifts.

Being "let go" was also annoying. Again, was told most temps would be employed through till mid January with the possibility of continuing on after that. I showed up to work on January 3rd, put in 2 hours (after commuting for 30 minutes), and was brought into a conference room with about 10 other temps after that. HR told us we were done with our "assignments" but would get paid for our full shift (which was a lie...complained to corporate later and ended up getting paid for the additional 6 hours..a victory that after taxes amounted to about $40), then got sent home. To top it off two loss prevention guys walked us out like we were going to steal the entire store. Seemed overly cruel especially when the next day (or even next hour) I could have just returned as a normal customer.

Training was also a fiasco. You spend about 4 hours watching videos then are told you will get one-on-one training on the floor. That never happened. I was just placed a a register and told to "figure it out". Customers would get annoyed when I couldn't complete complicated transactions and the registers are essentially 6-8 year old computers that fail occasionally.

If you need a few hundred bucks a week during the holiday season and/or shop at Macys, can tolerate a lot of you know what, not a bad temp job. Just keep your head down and don't pretend to care because no one in management does either.

Advice to Management

If you want happy and bright temp workers think about paying them more of a living wage. It is tough and busy work to give away your holiday season to deal with difficult customers for around $10/hr.

3. "Macys"

Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was great and supportive

Cons

Pay, I was not able to successfully transfer, there is not an HR manager

Advice to Management

Please do better to support transfers for those who have to relocate and want to stay with the company/

4. "Trying their best."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in a commission based department with no draw (Cosmetics and Fragrances) and the pay plan was fair and made sense, based on percent of the sale before tax. Very open to experimentation in my department when it came to makeup, hair, and wardrobe. Was awarded Gratis from my line and there were contests with free product as the prize. I was paid pretty well for not having prior professional cosmetic experience.

Cons

Treated unfairly as the youngest associate in my department. The store was messy in the back unless there was a visit from the GSM's higher ups. Little to no organization above my immediate department manager.

Advice to Management

Stop choosing favorites. Higher standards on organization even where guests can't see. Also - PLEASE higher sanitation standards for skincare and cosmetics!!

5. "Friendly Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of my coweorkers were friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

As with any retail job sometimes the guest get going.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Nice people"

Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice and will welcome you warmly
    But expect to keep up
    Managers are good at keeping morale up

Cons

Tiring physically and closing hours are late
    Can be extremely slow at times
    Switching shifts with others can be hard

7. "Work smarter, not harder."

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers & Co-workers made it worthwhile.

Cons

Management does the bare minimum and somehow would get all the credit.

Advice to Management

If you don't like retail or working you should've quit 15-20 yrs ago instead of complaining, being miserable at work, being lazy. Shouldn't be cheap hiring people as part time who will work full time.

8. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i gained much experience working here, made me ready for my next opportunity

Cons

not really too many cons

Advice to Management

be aware of those who are actually there for learning about the company and advancement, and would like an opportunity to grow, no disrespect to those who are trying to provide for their families but certain people went or are going to school for this.

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team player and people person

Cons

Pattaya no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Very reliable and always tardy

10. "Management"

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Keep very busy, always on the move, never boring or repetitive. Good people to work with, both managers and associates. Room for advancement

Cons

Hours can be long, don't always get the resources you need to perform at the optimal level.

Showing 65 of 16,694 reviews