Macy's Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
  1. "Management"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about the retail industry within the various departments.

Cons

Long standing with full time positions.

Advice to Management

It's always best to accommodate the employee's schedules based on their availability to reduce high turn over and to increase retention.

Macy's2018-08-17
  2. "Horrible environment and declining pay"

Former Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedule that also allows hours to be picked up in authorized departments. Employee discount and some vendor incentives on specific items. cons: Horrible hours during the holidays and the customers have become more abusive, demanding and rude as time passes. Declining sales and stores closing nationwide.

Cons

Overall declining what once was a good department store. Employees are exhausted and mistreated.

Advice to Management

The reality is you also are replaceable.

Macy's2019-12-01
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Full Time Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

I literally cannot think of any pros to this awful job

Cons

scheduling is a disaster, no one works in your department besides u, the security doesn’t care what happens, the managers avoid being on the floor all day and only come to you to give u negative demeaning feedback, ur goals cannot be met no matter how hard u try, u never get properly trained, may i go on? and i got forced to work in a department that i didn’t want to work in

Advice to Management

stop setting unrealistic goals for ur employees! and stop treating them so poorly!

Macy's2019-10-29
  5. "Sales Supervisor"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discounts, was seen as a manager and lead morning rallys

Cons

Hard work-life balance, required to work extra and all weekends during December.

Advice to Management

Please insure all training is complete before putting supervisor on sale floor. I was hired as new employee of Macy’s and had to assist employees and customers with cash registers when I did not yet complete register training.

Macy's2019-08-07
  6. "Terrible company"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Commission was ok and pay wasn’t bad

Cons

Management was disrespectful and refused to promote

Macy's2019-08-29
  7. "Great Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Schedules, Associate Discount, Great Training

Cons

It gets very hectic around holidays. Short lunch break.

Macy's2019-05-09
  8. "Love the Company"

Former Employee - Receiving Team Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Must be flexible (to the company)

Advice to Management

In high profile stores Macy’s should really evaluate the talent in these doors, some upper management is not what Macy’s portray in the media,

Macy's2019-04-30

"Confusing, Busy Job"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The interview process is a breeze. Especially if you are just a temp this an easy job to not really care about. You are paid around $10/hr and are expected to work all the busy days during the holiday season, but really if you sign up for a temp holiday job what are you going to expect. There were also plenty of hours and even some overtime. The employee discount is great if you want to do your holiday shopping at... Macys. Management is also so busy during the holidays that all you have to do is appear like you are doing work and they could care less. In short, it is a great job is you need short term employment and are not looking for a career with advancement opportunities. Another bonus is you get your entire holiday schedule at one time so at least you know when you will be off so you can plan in advance.

Cons

The pay is pretty low compared to other retailers out there. Pay varies by store but don't expect more then around $10/hr. Shifts are long too and managers will try to hold you over if the store is busy when you are supposed to leave (if you challenge them though they usually back off), meal/breaks are skipped unless you advocate for yourself or just walk off the sales floor to take one, and you will sometimes get... called in the night before expected to report with as little as 12 hours notice. Also, at least in my experience, I was told the temp experience would be from early November through till mid January. So I was anticipating, for budgeting reasons to have a job for about 8-9 weeks. The actual term of employment ended up being from late November to a few days after the New Year. A 8-9 week term is a lot different then a 5-6 week term when you are counting on make money during the few weeks that you are not being put on the schedule. Also don't expect to call out and keep your job even if you are sick with a doctors note. One call out was enough to get terminated (which was usually done by just removing your shifts and letting you figure it out). This didn't happen to me but happened to one co-worker who had to go to the ER on Christmas Eve and missed her shift. She brought in a return to work note and other paperwork but was told by HR to go home for the day. Never saw her again and heard they just cancelled all of her remaining temp shifts. Being "let go" was also annoying. Again, was told most temps would be employed through till mid January with the possibility of continuing on after that. I showed up to work on January 3rd, put in 2 hours (after commuting for 30 minutes), and was brought into a conference room with about 10 other temps after that. HR told us we were done with our "assignments" but would get paid for our full shift (which was a lie...complained to corporate later and ended up getting paid for the additional 6 hours..a victory that after taxes amounted to about $40), then got sent home. To top it off two loss prevention guys walked us out like we were going to steal the entire store. Seemed overly cruel especially when the next day (or even next hour) I could have just returned as a normal customer. Training was also a fiasco. You spend about 4 hours watching videos then are told you will get one-on-one training on the floor. That never happened. I was just placed a a register and told to "figure it out". Customers would get annoyed when I couldn't complete complicated transactions and the registers are essentially 6-8 year old computers that fail occasionally. If you need a few hundred bucks a week during the holiday season and/or shop at Macys, can tolerate a lot of you know what, not a bad temp job. Just keep your head down and don't pretend to care because no one in management does either.

Advice to Management

If you want happy and bright temp workers think about paying them more of a living wage. It is tough and busy work to give away your holiday season to deal with difficult customers for around $10/hr.

Macy's2018-11-14
  10. "Macys"

Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's for less than a year

Pros

Management was great and supportive

Cons

Pay, I was not able to successfully transfer, there is not an HR manager

Advice to Management

Please do better to support transfers for those who have to relocate and want to stay with the company/

Macy's2018-09-21
  11. "Trying their best."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked in a commission based department with no draw (Cosmetics and Fragrances) and the pay plan was fair and made sense, based on percent of the sale before tax. Very open to experimentation in my department when it came to makeup, hair, and wardrobe. Was awarded Gratis from my line and there were contests with free product as the prize. I was paid pretty well for not having prior professional cosmetic experience.

Cons

Treated unfairly as the youngest associate in my department. The store was messy in the back unless there was a visit from the GSM's higher ups. Little to no organization above my immediate department manager.

Advice to Management

Stop choosing favorites. Higher standards on organization even where guests can't see. Also - PLEASE higher sanitation standards for skincare and cosmetics!!

Macy's2018-08-04