Macy's Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fullfillment"

Current Employee - Fulfillment in Springfield, PA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment in Springfield, PA

Pros

Products are great and so are my co workers

Cons

They make you take too many breaks

"Not a whole lot of “magic” left..."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many good people to interact and learn with. The employees in your location can make all the difference as with anywhere. Potential to course correct and become a fashion destination again.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Ridiculous demands from above on employees that you “value” at $9.50 /hr. Not enough training on all levels. Poor communication. Pathetic employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Do some research. Stop blowing money on extravagant seminars, and conferences. Invest in the stores so customers WANT to return. More employees EVERYWHERE. You own these massive retail spaces, chain two people to a register and have them ring with no bathroom breaks. Then get upset with them for not processing orders, selling credit cards, recovering the floor etc. No one works that hard for $9.50 an hour. That’s why your customers are upset and it’s why your employees loathe you. I’d really love to help establish a culture for this company that’s respectful to the people who inhabit it, both the customers and it’s employees.

But I have a feeling that’s not what you’re after..... Prove me wrong by replying 😉

3. "Macys should have a heart"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to love the job It was like having a second family Very friendly atmosphere

Cons

Macys works on the points system. But if you have a family emergency or health issues there is no exception to the rule. Sometimes in life things happen that you have no control over this should be considered

Advice to Management

You need to consider the employee before telling them they are nobody special.This year my husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. I missed a few days of work out of my control. And your decision is to fire me. That is truly sad that you could not see past your point system

"Confusing, Busy Job"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process is a breeze. Especially if you are just a temp this an easy job to not really care about. You are paid around $10/hr and are expected to work all the busy days during the holiday season, but really if you sign up for a temp holiday job what are you going to expect. There were also plenty of hours and even some overtime. The employee discount is great if you want to do your holiday shopping at Macys. Management is also so busy during the holidays that all you have to do is appear like you are doing work and they could care less. In short, it is a great job is you need short term employment and are not looking for a career with advancement opportunities.

Another bonus is you get your entire holiday schedule at one time so at least you know when you will be off so you can plan in advance.

Cons

The pay is pretty low compared to other retailers out there. Pay varies by store but don't expect more then around $10/hr. Shifts are long too and managers will try to hold you over if the store is busy when you are supposed to leave (if you challenge them though they usually back off), meal/breaks are skipped unless you advocate for yourself or just walk off the sales floor to take one, and you will sometimes get called in the night before expected to report with as little as 12 hours notice. Also, at least in my experience, I was told the temp experience would be from early November through till mid January. So I was anticipating, for budgeting reasons to have a job for about 8-9 weeks. The actual term of employment ended up being from late November to a few days after the New Year. A 8-9 week term is a lot different then a 5-6 week term when you are counting on make money during the few weeks that you are not being put on the schedule.

Also don't expect to call out and keep your job even if you are sick with a doctors note. One call out was enough to get terminated (which was usually done by just removing your shifts and letting you figure it out). This didn't happen to me but happened to one co-worker who had to go to the ER on Christmas Eve and missed her shift. She brought in a return to work note and other paperwork but was told by HR to go home for the day. Never saw her again and heard they just cancelled all of her remaining temp shifts.

Being "let go" was also annoying. Again, was told most temps would be employed through till mid January with the possibility of continuing on after that. I showed up to work on January 3rd, put in 2 hours (after commuting for 30 minutes), and was brought into a conference room with about 10 other temps after that. HR told us we were done with our "assignments" but would get paid for our full shift (which was a lie...complained to corporate later and ended up getting paid for the additional 6 hours..a victory that after taxes amounted to about $40), then got sent home. To top it off two loss prevention guys walked us out like we were going to steal the entire store. Seemed overly cruel especially when the next day (or even next hour) I could have just returned as a normal customer.

Training was also a fiasco. You spend about 4 hours watching videos then are told you will get one-on-one training on the floor. That never happened. I was just placed a a register and told to "figure it out". Customers would get annoyed when I couldn't complete complicated transactions and the registers are essentially 6-8 year old computers that fail occasionally.

If you need a few hundred bucks a week during the holiday season and/or shop at Macys, can tolerate a lot of you know what, not a bad temp job. Just keep your head down and don't pretend to care because no one in management does either.

Advice to Management

If you want happy and bright temp workers think about paying them more of a living wage. It is tough and busy work to give away your holiday season to deal with difficult customers for around $10/hr.

5. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Springfield, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love my customers, sales, yearly inventory, 20 percent for discount items

Cons

Needs more staff, difficult to get everything done daily, cannot pay bills.

Advice to Management

Hire more permenent staff, maybe raise min wage

6. "Macys"

Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was great and supportive

Cons

Pay, I was not able to successfully transfer, there is not an HR manager

Advice to Management

Please do better to support transfers for those who have to relocate and want to stay with the company/

7. "Management"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about the retail industry within the various departments.

Cons

Long standing with full time positions.

Advice to Management

It's always best to accommodate the employee's schedules based on their availability to reduce high turn over and to increase retention.

8. "Team Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very reasonable and flexabile great manager and good supporting cast

Cons

pay could be better, fairness, professionalism

Advice to Management

stay backstage, dont ever turn into macys

9. "Trying their best."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in a commission based department with no draw (Cosmetics and Fragrances) and the pay plan was fair and made sense, based on percent of the sale before tax. Very open to experimentation in my department when it came to makeup, hair, and wardrobe. Was awarded Gratis from my line and there were contests with free product as the prize. I was paid pretty well for not having prior professional cosmetic experience.

Cons

Treated unfairly as the youngest associate in my department. The store was messy in the back unless there was a visit from the GSM's higher ups. Little to no organization above my immediate department manager.

Advice to Management

Stop choosing favorites. Higher standards on organization even where guests can't see. Also - PLEASE higher sanitation standards for skincare and cosmetics!!

10. "Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Business Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Room to grow. Macys is a great training ground for anyone eho wants to work in sales.

Cons

Hours, company restructuring, outsourcing of HR Department.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to retain talent.

Showing 232 of 16,836 reviews