Macy's Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, team environment, pay is actually not too bad for a retail environment

Cons

Upper management is disorganized and inconsistent in which policies to enforce; conflicts of interest as they are friends with certain co-workers. Not all Macy's are the same: the manager in Pittsburgh fostered a hostile environment and had certain counter managers spy on other counters and report back to her. No surprise, she is no longer the manager.

2. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, mobile application technology, location close to home, employee discount program.

Cons

Pay rate not competetive( much lower), compared to other retailers in the area, specifically increases over a period of time

Advice to Management

Less task oriented and more people focused.

3. "AST Associate"

Former Employee - AST Associate in Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - AST Associate in Homestead, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

20% discount and met a few nice employees who were pleasant and easy to get along with.

Cons

Disrespectful
    Very little hands-on training and done haphazardly
    Inflexablity
    Disorganization
    Non-Communication

Advice to Management

Specifically at The Waterfront Macy's in Homestead, PA:

1) Either create training manuals for employees to refer to or hire qualified people who know how to do hands-on training (not just sit a new hire in front of a computer to watch a video).
    2) Have an exit interview with employees who resign, as you may discover problems your company is experiencing and overlooking.
    3) Do not have a non-manager do management functions (unless they have some kind of business management background and know what they are doing).
    4) Make sure the employees, especially Managers, follow the Code of Conduct and take their breaks and meals, letting their employees do so also, do not come in to work on their days off and learn a little respect so they are not screaming at employees in front of customers and new hires. It's not appreciated by either the employee or the customers and is wrong according to the Code of Conduct.
    5) Half the regular (not seasonal) employees do not know their job and leave a bad impression on customers. Address such issues. This is mostly a training issue.
    6) Read the number ratings given on the customer surveys, not just the comments (you will quickly find your problem areas).
    7) Make employees wear name badges so you can tell them from the customers.
     8) Do face to face interviews when hiring instead of over the phone interviews where the only question the contracting company asks the applicant, is what hours they can work . No wonder the turn over is so high. I have seen unqualifed people hired, and people hired into positions that do not fit their skill set. And people who told the phone interviewer they could work one set of hours, are hired for a postion requiring a different set of hours. I was told the store's HR dept doesn't have the authority to override this insane phone hiring situation and put people where there skill sets and their availability lie. Maybe that should be the fix.
    9) Check where you are purchasing your inventory from, or have quality control done before putting it out on the floor, because 2 of the 4 orders I placed had to be returned because of holes in many of the women's clothing items. This is supposed to be high end clothing, but I will not be buying from you very often.

You lost an excellent part-time employee with a strong work ethic because not only was I still not fully trained after 2 months but road blocks were thrown in my way left and right, and I was screamed at in front of customers and new hires, several times, for something I didn't know because I wasn't trained properly.

I am the 3rd person in a row who has left this job after a very short period. I believe that shows an issue with the training and employees not following the Code of Conduct rules.

4. "Retail 'Magic' is Ho, Ho, Hum"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Retail environment with good product selection.

Cons

Tenured Selling floor management are a liability to the organization.

Advice to Management

Adhere to state hot and wage regulations.

5. "hello"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Homestead, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Homestead, PA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-the discounts are great. you get 20% off on top of if you have any "macy's money," which employers give you for getting customers to sign up for a credit card, and can give you up to 50% off.
    -they give you half an hour paid lunch if you work 5 to 7 hours. if you work 8 hours, you get an hour unpaid lunch.
    -it's a pretty slow paced environment which is relaxing

Cons

-some departments are very competitive. you can pick up shifts in other departments, and some of them are very territorial and do not like you in their space which creates a negative experience.
    -the managers are always on you about getting credit card sign ups and pre-sale if we're in that event. it can get very annoying very fast.

6. "Great place to work that works with my lifestyle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work flex able

Cons

Low pay , store was about to dissolve

7. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks of working for Macy's are the employee discount, Macy's money, retail knowledge, and getting off during the week sometimes.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. As a manager, you have to close the store a few nights a week, as well as open, and work a mid day shift (typically 11-8). It is very hard to plan personal events outside of work when the schedule is constantly changing.

8. "Overall a good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Homestead, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay good for being a retail job. All employees are wonderful to work with there no matter if it is your first day or many years after.

Cons

The company states the position is flexible but there are days you are still required to work all year long. A required amount of working hours are needed to obtain and keep benefits for the next quarter.

9. "Unethical Business Practices"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about product details, assisting customers in skincare choices

Cons

Poor management, didn't follow osha laws, put management responsibilities on sales staff without training or pay increase

Advice to Management

Your company is failing, try to go down with some dignity and respect for your coworkers.

10. "Shoe Expeditor"

Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Bethel Park, PA
    Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Bethel Park, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy work, everyone was very friendly, management cared about the employees.

Cons

Long work hours, sometimes no explanations for what to do with missing merchandise.

Showing 88 of 14,544 reviews