Macy's Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"My experience has been inspiring and motivating to career and personal growth as a leader."

Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I can take my career in any business direction in any part of the country. This company is about customization to your customer and community and the freedom to grow your business with creativity and amazing pool of talent to partner with and learn from.

Cons

No bonus structure to reward performance for sales managers responsible for millions of dollars in sales and profit.

Advice to Management

Look out here i come. 😉

"Do not work in shoes!!!"

Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor/Receiving Associate in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor/Receiving Associate in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers (I still keep in regular contact with one of my comrades from my first store), decent pay (time and a half for overnight hours), plenty of hours. My 2nd manager in my new department (receiving) is an amazing manager and is always there to answer any questions or listen to concerns. Receiving associates work Monday through Friday which is awesome!

There is also the potential for you to go from a seasonal position to a regular one. Morale is high at my current store (#392) and everyone always seems happy. Cosmetics girls (and guys) are super friendly especially the Lacome girls!

Receiving associates will either work early morning, afternoon, or overnight. it just depends on when the truck is delivered to your store. I currently work from 1pm on. Sometimes I'm off at 5pm and other times I don't get off until midnight. It just depends on the size of the truck. If we finish early, we usually do damages or penny stock until we can deliver around 9pm. If there's neither, we get to go home.

Cons

Sales associates are snooty and think they are 'above' support associates, bad managers are 'promoted' to other stores instead of fired (like my old manager), good team leads are forced out by bad managers, time limits for signing are completely unreasonable (company standard is 3 hours and having two or more people is preferred; we were expected to finish in two hours), inventory hours are inhumane and associates are not given a day off between their regular shift to prepare for the horror of inventory hours, morale was really low at my first store in Pleasanton and every person looked like they wanted to die everyday. Availability isn't followed when myinsite schedules you and managers act like your availability is an inconvenience once you are hired.

Sales goals for the cosmetics counters seem unreasonable for low traffic stores like the first one I worked at. My friend is regularly threatened with demotion for not making her sales goal, even though she has been with the company for many years.

Advice to Management

Teach your sales associates to clean up their own sales floor and to quit being snooty. It is not OUR job. The sales people at my first store would not clean up the floor, but they do at my current store. If you're not going to make sales people clean up the floor, then hire regular recovery associates for the shoes department. Every complaint on Google about my old store is about shoes. That should tell you something.

Receiving associates work a regular schedule of Monday through Friday with set hours. We should NOT be doing inventory shifts because it throws off our schedules and half of us have to help with the first two days of inventory, which means it takes the rest of the team even longer to unload the truck and sensor everything. We need all the people we can to help with the trucks. Receiving associates should get higher pay due to the fact that our job is very physically strenuous and the potential for injury is much higher. We have to operate machinery (trash compactor and baler) so we CANNOT be exhausted.

Either hire regular inventory associates to do inventory, outsource inventory, or close the store for a few days so we can come in during normal, HUMANE hours. 945pm to 545am sucks!

Do not transfer managers to another store until a new one is hired to replace them. My old store left my friends without a manager for over a month. Many seasonal employees that were hired quit within a week.

Have two people do signing for the shoes department. Having one person do it all alone and do it on a regular basis (especially for a big sales day) is unreasonable and unfair.

FOLLOW YOUR EMPLOYEES AVAILABILITY. We have other commitments outside of work. This is especially important for those of us who are in school. Managers need to be reasonable about scheduling when we have midterms and finals. We DO need to study, you know. One of my friends bombed her final because of this.

One last thing: ALL MANAGERS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO USE MYINSITE FOR EMPLOYEE SCHEDULES. My old manager did not and a lot of us lost attendance points because of it.

3. "Flex"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission working the jewelry counter was awful. Was made to transfer to cosmetics because a conflict of interest. ( I sold jewelry part-time online).

Cons

Switching over to cosmetics and fragrance was the best the best. Commission was great. Loved being flex meaning I worked when I wanted.

4. "sales assoc"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tigard, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, discounts, variable working hours

Cons

becareful....you can be fired instantly....without warning

5. "Commission is nice, and bad"

Current Employee - Men Suits and Shoes Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Men Suits and Shoes Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-$17/hour if you're good at selling suits
    -extra virtual cash in your pocket during special sales
    -most managers are willing to help you with hours and family problems that arise

Cons

-no paid time off for part time workers
    -have barely any benefits as a part time worker

Advice to Management

HAVE PAID TIME OFF FOR PART TIME WORKERS

6. "AST Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors and managers to work for. Pretty easy to move up the ladder.

Cons

Low low pay. It seems they like to pay you minimum wage so they can get the tax discount from you being on public assistance.
    If you are long term getting ready to be fully invested in the retirement plan they find a reason to get rid of you even one day prior to you being 100% invested. The rich continue to get richer up the corporate ladder while the little people make them that way.

Advice to Management

Keep your long term employees. They are the ones who stayed to help Macy's grow. Don't keep them around for 19 years and then let them go because they are going to be 100% invested.

7. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The day goes by quickly, fast paced, social environment

Cons

On your feet entire shift, long shifts, inconsistent days off

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Sales Supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most customers are great to work with, you can meet a variety of people that are looking for help. Co workers can be amazing and a great way to make new friendships.

Cons

Often low staffing, when staffing is needed most. Turnover rate is really high. Upper management looks too much at numbers and monthly earnings, and less on associate moral.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to please all customers. start helping out chain stores, by investing more money in day to day staffing, better and faster equipment, and a singular more secure method of Loyalty programs.

9. "Counter Mangaer"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees can promote from within.

Cons

Some management lacks accountability and professionalism.

Advice to Management

Treat employees consistently and fairly without favoritism

10. "Asset Protection"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Portland, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything besides the discount. If you want some experience on your resume, I guess it would be considered a Pro. Hopefully you get lucky with some cool employee's.

Cons

Policies are unreasonable
    Horrible management
    Terrible benefits
    Not so great pay
    Employee's will throw you under the bus
    Worst job I've ever had

Advice to Management

I was told if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. I can't help it here, don't ever get a job here. Nobody likes coming to work here.

Showing 105 of 14,920 reviews