Macy's Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 874 reviews)

"My experience has been inspiring and motivating to career and personal growth as a leader."

Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I can take my career in any business direction in any part of the country. This company is about customization to your customer and community and the freedom to grow your business with creativity and amazing pool of talent to partner with and learn from.

Cons

No bonus structure to reward performance for sales managers responsible for millions of dollars in sales and profit.

Advice to Management

Look out here i come. 😉

2. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i enjoyed working with the customers, it was the holiday season so most people were just excited for christmas and gifts, etc.

Cons

A lot of old timers, people that have been there for a while and much older than I was, very judgmental and weren't kind or patient to me -- a newcomer and also very young at the time.

Advice to Management

The more organized, the better. I was very unsure and lost most days as to where I was supposed to be and what my goal was. Also, to break up the clique-ness. Definitely ruined my experience because no one was welcoming.

3. "Management didn't appreciate hard workers"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, ability to pick up extra shifts in other departments

Cons

Not a positive work environment, lots of pressure from management

Advice to Management

No matter how anyone would perform in any department or area of their job, the managers would not notice the work being put in even after some of my co workers had been working there for years, stuck in the same entry level position. Not a very positive work environment.

4. "Support team, merchandise"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Hours are only in the morning 6am-2pm
    Great coworkers
    Good discount

Cons

High turnover rate
    Under staff
    No training
    Pay

Advice to Management

Higher more people and managers should come in early to open the store.

5. "If you care about people don’t work here"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet all kinds of people
    Good education in retail and business acumen
    Chances for promotion

Cons

Zero work life balance
    Company sees associates as numbers not people
    Mandatory six day work weeks twice a quarter
    Black Friday is hellish

Advice to Management

Keep promises and standards, specifically with staffing. Don’t set a store up for failure by cutting their staffing in half.
    Listen to the customer

6. "It has been a good experience."

Current Employee - Support Team Lead in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Support Team Lead in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers! Happy work environment, management is nice and caring. If you ask for help you will receive it. Nice open communication with the store manager.

Cons

Not enough employees working shifts because there is a bad scheduling system. Managers should be in charge of scheduling for their departments they fully understand the needs of their employees. We need to bring back in store HR.

Advice to Management

Need better scheduling, the system doesn’t populate properly. Bring back in store HR.

7. "Read my review before you apply"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , Company cares about customers and gives you the power to take care people. Good place just to learn some customer service and move on with another career.

Cons

The system will get rid of you soon if:
    1.You make a lot of money
    2.If you talk about your opinions towards unrealistic business methods they use
    3.If you are looking for growth in your career
    4.If you are middle eastern (based on the experience of me and at least 6 different people that I worked with)

Management has absolutely no respect for employees points of view.
    Asset protection people treat all the employees like potential theft suspects.
    Absolutely no room for growth unless someone above you gets fired because they are not opening any new stores.

Advice to Management

They don't really need any advice. This is how they do business and it looks like they are pretty satisfied with the results.

8. "I got to watch a once-great company fall to pieces. It wasn't fun, but it was educational."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned all the ways how not to treat employees, learned why it is important to attract and retain quality talent, saw firsthand what happens within a company when stock prices tumble and investors get nervous, which was all very fascinating, like watching a train crash in slow motion. Furthermore, I learned a lot about people, notably that Macy's attracts the worst of the worst from the workforce, and then puts them in management positions. This gave me the means to recognize and avoid these types of people in future employment, and the experience as a whole showed me exactly how not to run a company.

Cons

-if they could pay you less, they would. believe it.
    -injuries are commonplace, poorly handled, poorly responded to, and are a result of a failing safety culture. incident reports are not filed enough, mainly due to pressure from management, not a lack of incidents, creating a self-sustaining cycle of injuries and poor response.
    -the standard retail complaints, such as employees being expendable and hard workers being rewarded with more hard work and no increase in pay, are magnified and amplified here to appalling levels.
    -the actual physical merchandise that Macys sells is of low quality and overpriced, making it difficult to sell without discounts or massive markdowns.
    -Notably, the "company diversity" Macy's is so proud of starts to disappear as you reach the upper levels of management.

Advice to Management

For those of you who actually care about their employees (and there are a few of you) please find another company to work for.

For the rest, I have no advice, or even another word.

9. "Flexible work hours for associates"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedule for a student

Cons

Salary and benefits were low

"Very poor salary"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good reason to work for minimum wage is the discounts provided.

Cons

The amount of work put on sales associates is staggering. If you're not constantly running around, the manager will come down as they monitor you on camera. No joke, you couldn't stop for minutes to take a breath. We had to beg for supplies like bags and merchandise. For the most part, we restocked out own departments when we were allowed near the storages areas but if the restocking staff put out the merchandise, it wasn't stocked correctly. Asking for bags was a nightmare, the stockroom manager would hold them from us because they cost 5 cents per bag. Our customers found that delightful!

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap and appreciate the staff that works so hard for you. It's like you set staff up for failure.

Showing 114 of 16,280 reviews