Macy's Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 867 reviews)

"My experience has been inspiring and motivating to career and personal growth as a leader."

Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I can take my career in any business direction in any part of the country. This company is about customization to your customer and community and the freedom to grow your business with creativity and amazing pool of talent to partner with and learn from.

Cons

No bonus structure to reward performance for sales managers responsible for millions of dollars in sales and profit.

Advice to Management

Look out here i come. 😉

2. "Support team, merchandise"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Hours are only in the morning 6am-2pm
    Great coworkers
    Good discount

Cons

High turnover rate
    Under staff
    No training
    Pay

Advice to Management

Higher more people and managers should come in early to open the store.

3. "If you care about people don’t work here"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet all kinds of people
    Good education in retail and business acumen
    Chances for promotion

Cons

Zero work life balance
    Company sees associates as numbers not people
    Mandatory six day work weeks twice a quarter
    Black Friday is hellish

Advice to Management

Keep promises and standards, specifically with staffing. Don’t set a store up for failure by cutting their staffing in half.
    Listen to the customer

4. "It has been a good experience."

Current Employee - Support Team Lead in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Support Team Lead in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers! Happy work environment, management is nice and caring. If you ask for help you will receive it. Nice open communication with the store manager.

Cons

Not enough employees working shifts because there is a bad scheduling system. Managers should be in charge of scheduling for their departments they fully understand the needs of their employees. We need to bring back in store HR.

Advice to Management

Need better scheduling, the system doesn’t populate properly. Bring back in store HR.

5. "Read my review before you apply"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , Company cares about customers and gives you the power to take care people. Good place just to learn some customer service and move on with another career.

Cons

The system will get rid of you soon if:
    1.You make a lot of money
    2.If you talk about your opinions towards unrealistic business methods they use
    3.If you are looking for growth in your career
    4.If you are middle eastern (based on the experience of me and at least 6 different people that I worked with)

Management has absolutely no respect for employees points of view.
    Asset protection people treat all the employees like potential theft suspects.
    Absolutely no room for growth unless someone above you gets fired because they are not opening any new stores.

Advice to Management

They don't really need any advice. This is how they do business and it looks like they are pretty satisfied with the results.

6. "I got to watch a once-great company fall to pieces. It wasn't fun, but it was educational."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned all the ways how not to treat employees, learned why it is important to attract and retain quality talent, saw firsthand what happens within a company when stock prices tumble and investors get nervous, which was all very fascinating, like watching a train crash in slow motion. Furthermore, I learned a lot about people, notably that Macy's attracts the worst of the worst from the workforce, and then puts them in management positions. This gave me the means to recognize and avoid these types of people in future employment, and the experience as a whole showed me exactly how not to run a company.

Cons

-if they could pay you less, they would. believe it.
    -injuries are commonplace, poorly handled, poorly responded to, and are a result of a failing safety culture. incident reports are not filed enough, mainly due to pressure from management, not a lack of incidents, creating a self-sustaining cycle of injuries and poor response.
    -the standard retail complaints, such as employees being expendable and hard workers being rewarded with more hard work and no increase in pay, are magnified and amplified here to appalling levels.
    -the actual physical merchandise that Macys sells is of low quality and overpriced, making it difficult to sell without discounts or massive markdowns.
    -Notably, the "company diversity" Macy's is so proud of starts to disappear as you reach the upper levels of management.

Advice to Management

For those of you who actually care about their employees (and there are a few of you) please find another company to work for.

For the rest, I have no advice, or even another word.

7. "Flexible work hours for associates"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedule for a student

Cons

Salary and benefits were low

"Very poor salary"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good reason to work for minimum wage is the discounts provided.

Cons

The amount of work put on sales associates is staggering. If you're not constantly running around, the manager will come down as they monitor you on camera. No joke, you couldn't stop for minutes to take a breath. We had to beg for supplies like bags and merchandise. For the most part, we restocked out own departments when we were allowed near the storages areas but if the restocking staff put out the merchandise, it wasn't stocked correctly. Asking for bags was a nightmare, the stockroom manager would hold them from us because they cost 5 cents per bag. Our customers found that delightful!

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap and appreciate the staff that works so hard for you. It's like you set staff up for failure.

9. "APD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Fun job if you are in the right area. You learn alot.

Cons

Pay isnt very well and room to grow is minimal

"Do not work in shoes!!!"

Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor/Receiving Associate in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor/Receiving Associate in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers (I still keep in regular contact with one of my comrades from my first store), decent pay (time and a half for overnight hours), plenty of hours. My 2nd manager in my new department (receiving) is an amazing manager and is always there to answer any questions or listen to concerns. Receiving associates work Monday through Friday which is awesome!

There is also the potential for you to go from a seasonal position to a regular one. Morale is high at my current store (#392) and everyone always seems happy. Cosmetics girls (and guys) are super friendly especially the Lacome girls!

Receiving associates will either work early morning, afternoon, or overnight. it just depends on when the truck is delivered to your store. I currently work from 1pm on. Sometimes I'm off at 5pm and other times I don't get off until midnight. It just depends on the size of the truck. If we finish early, we usually do damages or penny stock until we can deliver around 9pm. If there's neither, we get to go home.

Cons

Sales associates are snooty and think they are 'above' support associates, bad managers are 'promoted' to other stores instead of fired (like my old manager), good team leads are forced out by bad managers, time limits for signing are completely unreasonable (company standard is 3 hours and having two or more people is preferred; we were expected to finish in two hours), inventory hours are inhumane and associates are not given a day off between their regular shift to prepare for the horror of inventory hours, morale was really low at my first store in Pleasanton and every person looked like they wanted to die everyday. Availability isn't followed when myinsite schedules you and managers act like your availability is an inconvenience once you are hired.

Sales goals for the cosmetics counters seem unreasonable for low traffic stores like the first one I worked at. My friend is regularly threatened with demotion for not making her sales goal, even though she has been with the company for many years.

Advice to Management

Teach your sales associates to clean up their own sales floor and to quit being snooty. It is not OUR job. The sales people at my first store would not clean up the floor, but they do at my current store. If you're not going to make sales people clean up the floor, then hire regular recovery associates for the shoes department. Every complaint on Google about my old store is about shoes. That should tell you something.

Receiving associates work a regular schedule of Monday through Friday with set hours. We should NOT be doing inventory shifts because it throws off our schedules and half of us have to help with the first two days of inventory, which means it takes the rest of the team even longer to unload the truck and sensor everything. We need all the people we can to help with the trucks. Receiving associates should get higher pay due to the fact that our job is very physically strenuous and the potential for injury is much higher. We have to operate machinery (trash compactor and baler) so we CANNOT be exhausted.

Either hire regular inventory associates to do inventory, outsource inventory, or close the store for a few days so we can come in during normal, HUMANE hours. 945pm to 545am sucks!

Do not transfer managers to another store until a new one is hired to replace them. My old store left my friends without a manager for over a month. Many seasonal employees that were hired quit within a week.

Have two people do signing for the shoes department. Having one person do it all alone and do it on a regular basis (especially for a big sales day) is unreasonable and unfair.

FOLLOW YOUR EMPLOYEES AVAILABILITY. We have other commitments outside of work. This is especially important for those of us who are in school. Managers need to be reasonable about scheduling when we have midterms and finals. We DO need to study, you know. One of my friends bombed her final because of this.

One last thing: ALL MANAGERS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO USE MYINSITE FOR EMPLOYEE SCHEDULES. My old manager did not and a lot of us lost attendance points because of it.

Showing 112 of 15,946 reviews