Macy's Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Macy's has been like family to me for the past 15 years. Macy's is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are wonderful role models at Macy's. I have worked with some of the best people in the logistics, retail, operations and IT business during my career at Macy's.

Cons

I want to move to Nashville, TN. There isn't any opportunity in my field with Macy's in that area.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Contractor - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, fun, innovative , great projects to work on

Cons

nothing in specific... commute can be a lil tiring

"Chaos! It's a sinking ship - Corporate Office perspective"

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people at the company and you have opportunity to build relationships across teams. Competitive pay for the retail industry. 20% discount is nice.

Cons

No HR, very inefficient work flow, constant restructures, forced to work overtime without pay., very little visibility. But for me the dealbreakers were no one is interested in your career development and it can be hard to drive this yourself (especially without an HR team) and there were a fair amount of racist people I had to work with. Macy's business is not doing well and it shows. Also major lack of positive office culture or an incentive to do well.

Advice to Management

Bring back HR. Have diversity training. Stop paying the new EDPs more than the class/group prior to them since they usually end of training the new EDPs. Incentive a better office culture.

4. "Stability but ever-changing culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

well known & respected retailer; looking for fresh new talent and perspective

Cons

frequently changing culture, slow to make decisions

"OUTDATED MANAGEMENT THAT NEVER CHANGE!!! BEWARE!!"

Current Employee - Product Manager Position In RTW in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager Position In RTW in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros at the moment until there is a change

Cons

It's an evil game of survival. No decisions, no empowerment, inconsistency with process, upper management that have been here for 20+ yrs NEVER CHANGE. No room for growth unless you're just a good talker but don't know how to do the job. No one can make a decision from VP and above. Our EVP RTW is evil and she trains everyone to not think and only please her. Antiquated system and process. CEO has no idea how bad it is with so many layoffs and forced terminations. They have these round table discussions to discuss what?? They toot the same horn about roles/responsibilities, empowerment, decision making, all that stuff and afterwards, none of that is practiced. It's a product driven company and they control EVERYTHING. Not good for Design as it's a product driven place. The GVP of design and product are not supportive and are afraid to support their teams to the EVP RTW. Late nights, skipped lunches, meetings overlapping, no recognition, and underpaid. discounts are not great because of all the restrictions. I've seen too many great ones go and and I'm disgusted with it. The remaining people are great until upper management pins you against each other!! It's really a sad thing to witness and be a part of. Just have to fake it with a smile until something better comes along or unless they restructure upper management.

Advice to Management

ADVISE TO MANAGEMENT WILL NOT WORK. Top management needs to open his eyes and realize that there are a lot of unhappy employees who deserve more and not tell the teams to fix themselves but fix the senior management at vp and above and restructure that team because they are the ones that don't change and train their friends/colleagues of the same.
    Need to release the ones that have been there for more than a decade and start with a fresh perspective. Think about it, business hasn't improved for years and so it falls on the vision and decisions of upper management. We are doing our jobs based off of what management and old time buyers want us to work on. OPEN YOUR EYES. IF YOU HEAR THIS ABOUT FROM MANAGERS, ASSOCIATES, AND ASSISTANTS THEN WHY ARE YOU NOT TAKING ACTION ON THE "WRONG" PEOPLE AND NOT THE ONES THAT ARE CAUSING ALL THE SPINNING AND INCONSISTENT STRATEGIES!!!!

6. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training programs , experience , coworkers

Cons

Layoffs, constant restructures, little room to grow fast

Advice to Management

“Too many chiefs not enough Indians”

7. "Great Potential, if they can get over Politics"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Lorain, OH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Lorain, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New work from home policy
    Great associate discounts
    Most of the people on the ground-level are great to work with

Cons

Difficult to get new ideas through the pipeline
    Tug-o-war game of control and decision making between eat and west coast offices
    Many of the managers play favorites which makes it nearly impossible to advance in your career
    Pay is sub-par
    Medical/Dental/Vision is the WORST

"Product Manager MMG - Good Experience - lack of growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about all aspects of retail and product development through exposure and collaboration with different parties - buying, landing, marketing, sourcing etc. Decent perks and benefits.

Cons

Lack of opportunity to move across different depts and functions or advance. Company has been challenged to identify a successful long term growth strategy and has had regular waves of restructuring and layoffs.

Advice to Management

Strive to better unite across all depts and functions to achieve goals. Be genuine and honest with employees about the opportunities or lack thereof. Macy's has a long way to go to become relevant in today's retail market place.

9. "Very Corporate"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team environment, Fun product, Interesting work, will learn a lot

Cons

Catty environment, managers are not strong leaders, slow decision making, unnecessary tasks, difficult to get promoted, minimal control on career path- they choose your next steps for you

Advice to Management

Actually care about developing your people. They are a reflection of who you are. Always be wanting to be a stronger leader. Don't do everything for your personal benefit and gain, because we can all tell.

10. "Processes not aligned with company values"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance great. Good people. Nice office building

Cons

Processes make it hard to get job done