Macy's Reviews in Providence, RI | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Cosmetic counter sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with public, working different hours, free training, free skin care and make up and meetings in Biston.

Cons

I wish they would hire me back but they are all set and have a enormous amount of young woman and men trying to work their way in

Advice to Management

Make sure we always have it in stock even if it’s not a top seller, if it’s on the floor and showing especially

2. "Recive"

Former Employee - Receiving in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Receiving in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is really good

Cons

Downtown and no place brake

Advice to Management

It is what it seems. First time is a surprise, Second time hired. You should know what you get hired to do.

3. "Exceptional Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Great management. Exceptional associate web portal. Fair practices. Promotions for those that are conscientious and hardworking

Cons

It's retail. No life. If this is your choice...suck it up!

"Worst Management Ever!!!!"

Former Employee - Receiving and Fulfillment in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Receiving and Fulfillment in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself wasn’t hard. Pretty easy.

Cons

No guidance, i came into work on time and spent a whole hour walking around all 3 floors looking for my supervisor. I almost left, to go home.
    Hours where given to favorites, new comers were getting 30+ hrs while myself and 3 other girls couldn’t get no more then 15 hrs.

Advice to Management

The worst. I’ve never experienced this in my life. I have a manager who for some reason didn’t like me. I didn’t even work directly under him. One day i made eye contact with while tagging clothes. He came up to me accused me of not working, told me to go home if I’m not gonna home, and mocked me in front of all my coworkers. When i was going on my 3rd rack while others weren’t even finished with there 1st. I wasn’t talking nor on my phone. I told him I’ll go home. When i went to tell my direct manger what happened almost in tears. She said everything will be ok. But afterwards no one would talk to me, hours got reduce to 4hrs a week. Needless to say i quit and management needs to learn how to treat people.

5. "Top Company, bottom tier management"

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Scheduling is handled online via trade and drop application.

Training was kind of easy.

The sales rotate so you eventually memorize the sale promos.

Cons

Some stores struggle due to lack of sales or customers for that matter.

Advice to Management

Management pushes you constantly to open accounts and make sales goals.

They put all of their efforts into numbers failing to even upgrade their 1970's sales terminals that freeze and fail often, hindering sales. That's just one example, bottom line, they need to do a lot better for the status they have.

6. "Macys REview"

Current Employee - On Call Beauty Advisor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - On Call Beauty Advisor in Providence, RI

Pros

Great people
    laid back
    flexible policies
    pick your own shifts
    strong lp

Cons

sometimes competitive
    could have stronger upkeep

Advice to Management

more through systems

"Don"t do it unless you need a work experience !!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get sales experience, meet cool people, good managers

Cons

bad pay, standing all the time and bending to pick up items all the time. not worth what you get paid

Advice to Management

train more and dont just leave some things blank until the person gets on the sales floor. there was so many things i didn't know i was doing wrong until i got to the sales floor and my co workers helped me out.

"Not the best, not the worst. So glad I'm gone."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Worked with friendly people
    -Spent a lot of time laughing if the right people were scheduled
    -I worked in the Dress department, and had an amazing manager (until she got a better management position at Lord & Taylor's)
    -Was always encouraged to be a manager (although, the managers would always just say that and never explain how to go about it)
    -EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT (was only 20%, but with Macy Money and coupons, it helped out)
    -Good amount of hours in other departments if I wanted to pick up any extra shifts

Cons

-They pay you...horribly. For the amount of "magic" that I had spewing form my mouth, you would think they would compensate you for being that ridiculous.
    -I hated the dress code--I love wearing black, but all black everything was annoying.
    -Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers
    -Was offered a position at Origins (cosmetics and skin care), but turned it down after I had to do a phone interview with the head of sales for the company. I'm all set, I just wanted more money and to get free make-up. Let's be honest here.
    -Daily goals were a waste of time. If you had a sales goal of 1000, they never took into account the pace of the department you were working in. If you're in home, you can meet it in an hour, other departments, not so much.
    -Not all departments are commission. I think this company would have so much more going for it, if they gave their employees some incentive to reach their goals. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, but if I'm selling all of this product for you, that's the least you could do.

Advice to Management

I worked here to two years and was always asked, "Have you ever thought of going into management?" I was such a driven employee. For a minimum-wage position, I excelled and took my title seriously. It felt great to be noticed by my department manager and store manager. However, when I would ask about applying for a management position, I would get the run around. It was confusing and counter-intuitive. I feel that management (or corporate) should offer incentives or programs for employees to seek a future in management. I didn't want to remain a Sales Associate forever, and spent a lot of time in the office making that known. I think had they offered some kind of management training program, I would have thought twice about leaving.

9. "Very friendly place to work, can be hectic during sales"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice environment to work in, most of the people there are very willing to help you learn and guide you. The good thing is you get two days of previous training to learn how to use the cash register, although as I will mention below, it could be so much better, but it's paid so that's good. The best part in my opinion was that your schedule is very flexible you can pick and choose which days you go to work. Also if you cant go a certain day you can swap your shift or ask someone else to change their shift with you online.

Cons

To begin with the training it self is a bit long and tiresome,I wish it was a bit more practical rather than theoretical...I felt insecure in the cash register even after the two days.
    Another thing that isn't great is that if you don't get online fast enough you wont be able to pick up shifts, you have to wait and see if someone cant go a certain day or call the office and ask if someone didn't show that day.

Advice to Management

Make the training course more practical

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We got macy money. Great team in jrs dep.

Cons

-Working like a slave for horrible wages
    -Micromanagement

Advice to Management

Get it together

Showing 12 of 17,266 reviews