Macy's Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Great store to work for"

Current Employee - Receiving Team Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Receiving Team Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly ppl great store lovely ppl just a great environment to work in amazing environment to grow and learn the business

Cons

Give you the run around when you are trying to transfer and don't pay you for your one hour lunch break.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Lower level staff is supportive.

Cons

Lol! Macys at Southpoint Mall in Durham NC is so full of it. They are telling employees when their last day to work is due to down sizing, but not giving out anything in writing for verification. They are trying to trick folks into quiting. Corporate office says that no one is being laid off yet. Spread the word. From my personal experience nothing is official until layoff papers are being given out. Tell current employees to call the corporate office to report the harrassment and deception. Shame on Macys in Durham NC for not having the magic!

Advice to Management

N/A

"Visual Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love that it is a creative job with room for advancement if you are willing to move

Cons

The company likes to hire full-time staff at 37 hours so that they don't have to offer benefits, which the company policy starts at 38 hours. Huge disconnect between sales team and support as well as a disconnect between the district team and store teams.

Advice to Management

Be on the same page in all aspects of the store

4. "Counter Manger"

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Like that, they promote team work

Cons

Work too many hours weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Teach better customer service

5. "Lancome Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Lancome Cosmetic Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Lancome Cosmetic Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, ability to express creativity, and great customers!

Cons

Very worried about credit card sales and not your daily goals; even if you've far surpassed them.

Advice to Management

Focus more on daily goals, than garnering credit cards.

6. "Customer service cashier"

Former Employee - Flex Cashier/Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Flex Cashier/Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very prompt company people first

Cons

Not enough people scheduled in store

Advice to Management

Work more people on busy days

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cary, NC

Pros

Pay wasn't bad for my first job. The scheduling system wasn't bad.

Cons

I was a seasonal employee working in the perfume department during Christmas so my sales goals were really high. This would have been ok except I worked with a lot of employees who had been there for YEARS and proceeded to treat me terribly if I made a sale because it was their "territory". My manager was AWFUL, she stayed in her office all day and I would only see her once in a blue moon when she wanted to yell about selling credit cards. I can't make people want you credit cards. Also, in order to use your employee discount you had to use their credit card and put your money on it which you couldn't get back off the card once it was on their...sounds like scam to me. They rarely have what's in the catalog at locations that aren't in NYC. Customers are beyond insane; people steal left and right, death threats, screaming, etc. I can only imagine how bad it was for the clothing department! I'm sure I had it a lot easier. I applied to work there again during the summer after school and got called in for an interview, interviewed with the same manager, who was rude to me the entire interview. Then I never received any soft of response. Glad I didn't! This location closed which doesn't surprise me one bit. Very old school business practices/products.

Advice to Management

Look closer at your management team. Make your employee discount more accessible.

"50/50"

Former Employee - Store Support Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Store Support Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Macy's (More than 8 years)

Pros

You meet good people that are willing to put in hard work and have pride in their job, discount is good plus coupons, and if you just need some extra cash, this job is ok.

Cons

Young managers that have just graduated college and finished training tend to be disrespectful, some managers are fair, they play favorites(not in a good way), cut hours(which is bad for part-timers and on call workers), eliminated job positions, no job growth if you're look for a career path, and when it come to going to HR for any problems its a waste of time, because they will either give you the runaround or they'll fill the script and make it look like your the problem.

Advice to Management

To the younger Sales Managers, stop talking to your subordinates like children. Everyone in that store are 18 and older, so just because you are a Manager that has training, it does not mean you know more than the Associate that's worked in Retail 5, 10, 15, 20 years. Bottom line, respect need to be put into play.

9. "Good Entry Level Retail Job"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training for those who want a career in retail.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Meh"

Former Employee - 8030 (Supervisor) in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - 8030 (Supervisor) in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The discount.
    Working on 8030, I would find things at a low price faster than customers and could buy them.
    Paid holidays.
    Benefits.

Cons

No work/life balance. Was NEVER allowed to go home for the holidays. Even after 9 yrs with the company. Working Black Friday is ridiculous that it has turned into Black Thanksgiving. People would have to leave their families on a day the company brags about giving us off so that we can deal with the nutjobs coming out to shop.
    Working on 8030, we are often required to be available from 4am to whenever they decide. They started doing One Day Sale sale sets the night before which would mean, we'd now all have to have night time availability. Our normal shifts are 6-3, mind you. But when we do this, the shift is anywhere from 3pm to after midnight if you have people on your team who are slow at setting sale.
    So basically, availability means nothing to them. They'll schedule you when they want and hassle you if you can't do it even though it's out of the ordinary to work these hours.
    No chance to advance unless management loves you and you are buddy buddy with them.
    They don't like free thinkers and people who ask questions.
    A bad company to work for.

Advice to Management

THE BLACK FRIDAY SALE ISN'T EVEN THE BEST SALE OF THE YEAR. Don't make your workers leave their families ON Thanksgiving. This company should be so ashamed.

Showing 36 of 16,418 reviews