Macy's Reviews in Reno, NV | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 400 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 875 reviews)

1. "Everyday is different."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Reno, NV

Pros

Great management for the most part, clothes are wonderful and being a Specialist gives you some extra incentives such as bonuses and gratis (free merchandise).

Cons

Responsible for opening new store accounts (credit cards) and much of your goals arfe based around that. You might as well be working at a bank because you are required to open 4 per week for full timers.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say you're going to do. Often times things are said by team leaders, and then there is no dedication behind it.

2. "Management"

Former Employee - Management in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Management in Reno, NV

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people; Corporate support available; Training & Development programs

Cons

hours; work-life balance; excessive meetings

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Retail life"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People usually stay for the discount

Cons

They only care about sales

Advice to Management

Genuinely caring about your staff, better pay and benefits.

4. "Think about it before coming to Macy's"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly pleasant co-workers and managers; good employee discounts

Cons

Inadequate staffing, which created problems for sales associates, managers and customers. Too much recovery to be handled by a very few associates. Basic issues not addressed (e.g., phone problems, old and unsafe carpeting, insufficient number of registers and fitting rooms, managers not able to be reached for a variety of reasons, etc.). A lot of the merchandise is of poor quality. Process for sales signing is outdated and inefficient. Have to deal with customers upset about lack of floor coverage. When I worked for Macy's, I did not feel they respected their associates or managers.

Advice to Management

Don't continue to work for a company like Macy's. Back in the day, it was a nice place to work, but I would recommend getting out while you can.

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed meeting all the customers and finding the items they wanted

Cons

The huge amount of recovery that ended up being the sales responsibility.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be involved with the sales staff,and around the floor - showing an interest to customers

6. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

has benefits for full time employees also 401 k available as well

Cons

management doesn't always treat associates they way they deserve, even those who have been there many years. They keep adding more things that have to be done, can be very stressful. Also push to open credit cards! Associates who open a lot of them can get away with almost anything! they usually are not team players which puts the work load on the rest of us. Also not the best pay. customers get upset because many days there are not enough of us.

Advice to Management

Treat your seasoned employees with respect! Don't allow high credit performers to do whatever they want. have more coverage! Employees get blamed for low magic score, we can only be in so many places! happy employees equal good results.

7. "Sales Asscoiate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

Pros

Offer substantial room for growth and improvement if you have the right mentor.

Cons

It takes forever to go from part time to full time due to them hiring 100 part timers due to one full timer. Also if you don't have the right manager it's very difficult to get to the next level.

Advice to Management

Offer more full time opportunities, and have standards and expectations so associates can know what they need to do to get to the next level.
    Listen to the associates on the floor. We know what will sell and what won't.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning new Sales Strategies, Having sales goals to reach daily, working with all different kinds of people with different sales back round to learn from.

Cons

Was told all new hires start part time when first hired, no merchandising, put in a department that did not match my education and experience,starting pay is unlivable.

Advice to Management

I applied for a Make-Up Counter Sales Position due to my Esthetician Degree and Make-Up Artist experience. I was told by HR Macys only hired inside, I asked other make-up counter girls and that was not the case. I was lied to so that I would take another position.
    Also, I came upon a girl at one of the Make-up counters trying to convince a woman to use a scrub for acne which is the LAST thing you use. The lack of knowledge that 70% of them had was disturbing and irresponsible. It was very disappointing that I was placed in a department below my experience and Education and severely under paid. I resigned and left feeling disappointed.

9. "Totally Unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, discount, Easy POS sale system

Cons

hard to get ahold of management, lack of training, low pay, no benefits for part time

Advice to Management

Please give more on the floor training, make sure to notify employees of changes to job status or hours, keep track of your seasonal hires they are important too

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for a "starter" job. The scheduling was great (except "Key Days" when it's mandatory to work), especially with being a full-time student.

Cons

Having to work on Key Days. Lots of drama, high-school-like behavior between co-workers and management either ignoring it or contributing to it...also, they pay you pretty low starting off, and only give tiny annual raises unless you become a brand specialist...even then, the pay is not enough to justify the ridiculous sales expectations of a specialist.

Advice to Management

Stop advertising Macy's as a company that respects how "employees should have a life outside of their job at Macy's" because implementing numerous "Key Days" where employees HAVE to work contradicts that entire "mission" to preserve an employees personal life outside of work.

Showing 17 of 16,438 reviews