Macy's Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Support Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers at first. We had a really great team of people in the beginning. Also, they did offer me the flexibility to work around my school schedule at first, but that didn't last long.

Cons

Not enough hours. They did not promote from within the store. I had over 30 years experience in retail and I was never considered for a management position.
    The working conditions in the receiving area were a safety hazard and very dangerous since they were very unorganized. Management always expected you to do 40 hours worth of work in a 20 hour week period. The pay sucked as I was never evaluated and I received only one pay raise in four years.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human beings and not just like a bunch of programmed robots!

2. "Manager What happened to being paid as an Executive?"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing the trends and the new merchandise
    Associates and Friendship

Cons

Upper Management
    Sales Plans
    Hours
    lack of compassion for Associates

Advice to Management

Do not waste your time with a Company that is from the East Coast.

3. "Associate"

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in hours for time off

Cons

Too many promotions on the Buddy system

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to make sure people who deserved promoted are instead of promoting people not qualified.

4. "Macy's."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The discount is decent and there are some discounts with cellphone companies, etc.

Cons

For sales associates, there is no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Work more on internal customer service first and the business will improve.

5. "Seasonal Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. There is absolutely no pro to working here.

Cons

Associates hate seasonal employees. Management is lacking. I am an educated person... can you scan a bar code, anyone can. The guy in my training class didn't have front teeth. I was let go because some associate lied and wanted me out. Thanks Macy's for nothing.

Advice to Management

You need to tell the current employees to back off. If they can't function with new people, fire them.

6. "If you care about your career, DON'T WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Creative Visual Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Visual Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only PRO at Macy's is the discount.

Cons

Very little benefits, and the company will find loop-holes strip you of your benefits as time goes on. I've had Macy's change their PTO policy which resulted in me randomly LOSING 5 vacation days. They just took them away. Macy's HR is the most unethical organization I've ever experienced. There are literally layoffs every years around the holiday season, sometimes more than once a year. In January 2017, I was laid off. Macy's sent a termination letter to my house letting me know that my health insurance was cancelled as of December 2016. This was news to me. I was able to apply into a newly created position but basically had to take a demotion if I wanted to remain in the creative field. After 6 years of experience at Macy's, I had no choice but to take an entry level job with NO room for growth. There was no clear career path and it was just another dead-end job that Macy's promised as a "dream job". Business has been so bad that the company is unable to provide BASIC OFFICE SUPPLIES. All my co-workers were MISERABLE and everyone wanted to just get out. Seems like once you are working for Macy's, it is very challenging to leave. They have non-competing agreements with all their vendors stating that you cannot apply to work at another company if they are on "the list". Working with this company was painful to the very very end. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Clean house completely. Fire everyone in HR and hire young forward-thinking talent.

7. "Asset Protection Security Guard (seasonal)"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Easy money, not apart of Macy's attendance policy

Cons

Long hours of standing, pay, management

Advice to Management

Be kind, learn how to talk to workers in a respectful manner, and treat them the way you would want to be treated.

8. "used to be an awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great place to learn if you are twenty something; lots of things can be learning and there are opportunities to move wihting the company

Cons

purging everyone over 50 via pushing for early retirement and openly telling boomers they won't have web training (!) Company is shrinking and has an ID crisis... is is a store or is it a website?

Advice to Management

Sell the stores and become a website since you no longer have a team that knows how to support them. train people over 50 rather purging them because you think they are too old to learn something new

9. "TREATED UNFAIRLY"

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice customers, decent employees, employee discount, & morning rallies.

Cons

Terrible managers, hostile work environment, no professionalism, & very little training is given

Advice to Management

Watch out for your employees who have been there many years. They're not to be trusted with codes to stockroom.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off, schedule given in advance

Cons

Disgusting company. The next big retailer to go into the dump. The company demands everything from you with not enough staff to help you achieve goals. Executives say it’s impossible to to do the job with such little sales help, the customers write to the store saying there is not enough sales help, and the associates are drained because they say they need more help. But Macy’s is a highly cheap company with no regard or care for its employees. They appreciate what you do not you yourself and demand metrics that either make you lose sleep trying to achieve or are made to feel like a failure. The company continues to develop new programs and technology in an effort to keep business alive but ultimately these to your already extensive workload with no extra sales help which means they keep adding more and more responsibility to associates making minimum wage who could simply get a job checking people out at a grocery store. Horrid upper management, disgusting company.

Advice to Management

Don’t work here.

Showing 1,710 of 14,651 reviews